Options

Fuji S5200 or S9000??????

bsclark_1bsclark_1 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited November 27, 2009 in Cameras
Hey gang,

I currently have a Fuji Finepix S5200. In a year or so I plan to go SLR, but I have the opportunity to upgrade to an S9000 at very little cost. I wanted to see whether y'all thought I should make the move or stick with the S5200?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited November 27, 2009
    bsclark_1 wrote:
    Hey gang,

I currently have a Fuji Finepix S5200. In a year or so I plan to go SLR, but I have the opportunity to upgrade to an S9000 at very little cost. I wanted to see whether y'all thought I should make the move or stick with the S5200?

Thanks!

How would the upgrade benefit you and how you use the camera?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    How would the upgrade benefit you and how you use the camera?

Well - I'm not entirely sure. Other than that newer is always better, right ;) I was hoping you pros could tell me.

I know I would like the mechanical zoom ring better than the motorized zoom, and I think it's a little faster. I have also run into a few instances where I wished I could shoot wider than the 5200 will do.

Also, I like the idea of being able to use an external flash and a cable release.

I really don't know whether the 9MP would be better or worse than 5MP. I have read that the quality might not be as good.

I like to shoot some sports photography, some landscape, and would like to get into doing portraits (senior pics and such).
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited November 27, 2009
    bsclark_1 wrote:
    Well - I'm not entirely sure. Other than that newer is always better, right ;) I was hoping you pros could tell me.

I know I would like the mechanical zoom ring better than the motorized zoom, and I think it's a little faster. I have also run into a few instances where I wished I could shoot wider than the 5200 will do.

Also, I like the idea of being able to use an external flash and a cable release.

I really don't know whether the 9MP would be better or worse than 5MP. I have read that the quality might not be as good.

I like to shoot some sports photography, some landscape, and would like to get into doing portraits (senior pics and such).

A mechanical zoom "is" better than a motorized zoom control, IMO.
    A wider field of view is commonly better, and if you missed it on the 5200 that is significant.
    External flash is a definite plus. thumb.gif

More pixels is generally a benefit in good light. It may allow larger enlargements (if they are "better" pixels as a collective sum) and it also generally allows more cropping opportunity.

I doubt that the S9000 would be a great sports camera, but if it has faster responsiveness than the S5200 then that would help. (I don't know if it is more responsive.)

Responsiveness is one area where a dSLR generally does much better than any digicam, especially if it is a sports lens mounted on a body with a fast and accurate AF section.

Your points seem valid to me. If the S9000 is available inexpensively it sounds like it would be an upgrade for you. Just the external flash capability alone is worth it to me. (Appropriate light is more important than just about everything else except those things related to the subject matter itself.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    A mechanical zoom "is" better than a motorized zoom control, IMO.
    A wider field of view is commonly better, and if you missed it on the 5200 that is significant.
    External flash is a definite plus. thumb.gif

More pixels is generally a benefit in good light. It may allow larger enlargements (if they are "better" pixels as a collective sum) and it also generally allows more cropping opportunity.

I doubt that the S9000 would be a great sports camera, but if it has faster responsiveness than the S5200 then that would help. (I don't know if it is more responsive.)

Responsiveness is one area where a dSLR generally does much better than any digicam, especially if it is a sports lens mounted on a body with a fast and accurate AF section.

Your points seem valid to me. If the S9000 is available inexpensively it sounds like it would be an upgrade for you. Just the external flash capability alone is worth it to me. (Appropriate light is more important than just about everything else except those things related to the subject matter itself.)

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.