Options

taking the next later train

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited May 16, 2004 in Landscapes
good morning, everyone!

i took the long way around the reservoir this morning, on my way to the train station, and nyc. it was a lovely dawn, and i was driving by the farm where we get a lot of our eggs, cheese, and fresh poultry from... both of these shots taken just past 6am eastern time this morning.

i shot this with my dslr, handheld, and in raw, manualy settings of 1/500th, f/5.6, 160mm focal length (in 35mm). i metered for the highlights at +1.3 ev, then developed two exposures in adobe photoshop and merged them. further post processing included minor levels, contrast and color adjustments.

3975960-M.jpg

then, about one minute down the road, i came to the reservoir. this is the croton reservoir system, a huge network of lakes north of nyc, and it serves as the water supply for the big apple. i was struck by the scene as soon as i rounded the bend, the fog burning off the water and the lovely sky colors and their reflections in the lake. incidentally, in this shot i am facing due west, so the rising sun is behind me.

i shot this with my dslr, handheld and in raw, manual settings of 1/160th, f/5.6, focal lenght of 216mm (in 35mm). here i metered for the scene at the brightest point, at +1ev, then developed two exposures in adobe photoshop and merged them. further post processing included minor levels, contrast and color adjustments.

3975958-M.jpg

enjoy (taking the next later train) photography, :andy

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2004
    As usual, great shots Andy. You do very nice work.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2004
    andy wrote:
    good morning, everyone!

i took the long way around the reservoir this morning, on my way to the train station, and nyc. it was a lovely dawn, and i was driving by the farm where we get a lot of our eggs, cheese, and fresh poultry from... both of these shots taken just past 6am eastern time this morning.

i shot this with my dslr, handheld, and in raw, manualy settings of 1/500th, f/5.6, 160mm focal length (in 35mm). i metered for the highlights at +1.3 ev, then developed two exposures in adobe photoshop and merged them. further post processing included minor levels, contrast and color adjustments.

3975960-M.jpg

then, about one minute down the road, i came to the reservoir. this is the croton reservoir system, a huge network of lakes north of nyc, and it serves as the water supply for the big apple. i was struck by the scene as soon as i rounded the bend, the fog burning off the water and the lovely sky colors and their reflections in the lake. incidentally, in this shot i am facing due west, so the rising sun is behind me.

i shot this with my dslr, handheld and in raw, manual settings of 1/160th, f/5.6, focal lenght of 216mm (in 35mm). here i metered for the scene at the brightest point, at +1ev, then developed two exposures in adobe photoshop and merged them. further post processing included minor levels, contrast and color adjustments.

3975958-M.jpg

enjoy (taking the next later train) photography, :andy
    Oh Andy:cry bowdown.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited May 10, 2004
    Andy,

Those are some spectacular shots.

In the first, you've captured the moment between darkness and
    dawn beautifully!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    thanks ian and lynne !

i really enjoy getting out there early. some days, though, it's a bust. today, i was out the door at 415am and at my chosen spot by 5am ... waiting and waiting and nothing came. no sweet light, no nothing.

ahh well

:andy
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    The one with the ducks is beautiful.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2004
    andy wrote:
    today, i was out the door at 415am and at my chosen spot by 5am ...

OMG that's a high price to pay!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    moonjuicemoonjuice Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2004
    These are stunning! The first one is my favorite. I like the way the green of the grass contrasts with the golden orange of the sky.