*Entry Thread* Mini-Challenge #86: "Preparations"

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited December 7, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #86 of the Dgrin Mini-Challenges.

This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from now, Sunday November 22, 2.00pm EST time, to Sunday December 6, 2.00pm EST (2 weeks).

Your Judges:
- Lizzard_nyc (Liz)

- adbsgicom (Andrew)

What this challenge is about:

As fall turns to winter here in the United States, a great many preparations are being made to celebrate with family. We all remember the great times of the event and record those zealously, but as we near this time of Thanksgiving in the U.S., we want to record and remember those who make family gatherings really happen. Our theme this is:

Preparations

Whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ramadan, Passover, Festivus, or any gathering of family and friends, the celebration doesn't happen without preparation. Send in your images that capture the care, the emotion, or the frenzy of preparing for our celebrations. Whether it is getting the table just so, or nearly killing someone for a "Tickle Me Elmo", show us what goes into making the celbration happen.

So find the memories from before the event or shoot something new. Submit your entries to immortalize those who made the day special behind the scenes!! :clap :barb :clap :bow :clap

*Guidelines:
  1. The entrant must be the sole photographer of the entry.
  2. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post. You can edit or swap out your entries as often as you like, up to the deadline.
  3. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (eg on your website).
  4. Try to resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
  5. Give each image you enter a title.
  6. Don't be hesitant! Just do it! Be in it and share!
  7. Also, especially non-contestants:
    Feel free to share your thoughts and reactions to the entries which excite you. Enjoy discussion with members about their images. This is not just an entry thread, but a thread open for the participation of anyone who would like to contribute, in a way appropriate to the spirit and purpose of the Mini-Challenges
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Andrew and I come from two totally different backgrounds and probably couldn't be more different, yet we have this in common "preparations for the holidays"--so it's as though this co-chairing was meant to be.

I'm looking forward to the shots ranging from basting the turkey to flexing your muscles in preparations for the "feats of strength" (see festivus).
    I look forward to being introduced to some of your pre holiday customs and preparations.

Please please comment on each other's photos on this round as well--

LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Like it. Going to my parents on Thanksgiving so I should have plenty of "Cuban Kitchen" moments to capture.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited November 22, 2009
    Like it. Going to my parents on Thanksgiving so I should have plenty of "Cuban Kitchen" moments to capture.

Cuban,
    I can hear it already....
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Luke J. PhotographyLuke J. Photography Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I have a good idea for this..... I just need a tripod head :cry
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    This is a great choice of theme, Liz and Andrew!thumb.gif It's topical, inclusive of all our lifestyles, and yet so personal to our experiences! I really look forward to seeing all those moments behind the scenes before the curtain rises on the event, whatever the seasonal celebration. Themes like this - our lives - so suit the Minis, I think. Wonderful! I wish challenge #86 a memorable two weeks. I'm sure it will become part of the Preparations for a few Dgrinners this year!mwink.gifDclap.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Welcome to Round #86 of the Dgrin Mini-Challenges.

This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from now, Sunday November 22, 2.00pm EST time, to Sunday December 6, 2.00pm EST (2 weeks).

Your Judges:
    - Lizzard_nyc (Liz)

- adbsgicom (Andrew)

What this challenge is about:

As fall turns to winter here in the United States, a great many preparations are being made to celebrate with family. We all remember the great times of the event and record those zealously, but as we near this time of Thanksgiving in the U.S., we want to record and remember those who make family gatherings really happen. Our theme this is:

Preparations

Whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ramadan, Passover, Festivus, or any gather of family and friends, the celebration doesn't happen without preparation. Send in your images that capture the care, the emotion, or the frenzy of preparing for our celebrations. Whether it is getting the table just so, or nearly killing someone for a "Tickle Me Elmo", show us what goes into making the celbration happen.

So find the memories from before the event or shoot something new. Submit your entries to immortalize those who made the day special behind the scenes!! clap.gifwings.gifclap.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif

*Guidelines:
    1. The entrant must be the sole photographer of the entry.
    2. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post. You can edit or swap out your entries as often as you like, up to the deadline.
    3. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (eg on your website).
    4. Try to resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
    5. Give each image you enter a title.
    6. Don't be hesitant! Just do it! Be in it and share!
    7. Also, especially non-contestants:
      Feel free to share your thoughts and reactions to the entries which excite you. Enjoy discussion with members about their images. This is not just an entry thread, but a thread open for the participation of anyone who would like to contribute, in a way appropriate to the spirit and purpose of the Mini-Challenges

This is terrific! Go for it!clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    One son basting his tofu turkey:

725359276_VfkMy-M.jpg

The other making sure the potatoes are mashed for his mom:

725363699_NKhrW-M.jpg

Grandma and grandson working on the dinner:

725365478_LJ79G-M.jpg
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Basting the tofu turkey

Thanks for being the bold first submission!!!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 27, 2009
    Dave,
    Was wondering who would be the first:D .
    That's a great little series you posted--of the calm before the storm and tackling the prep work as a family.clap.gif Nicely done.

Had no idea one had to baste tofu.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 27, 2009
    Dave,
    Was wondering who would be the first:D .
    That's a great little series you posted--of the calm before the storm and tackling the prep work as a family.clap.gif Nicely done.

Had no idea one had to baste tofu.

Since my youngest became a vegetarian I've found they can make just about anything of tofu. It's really just a little scary!
    edited November 28, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Since my youngest became a vegetarian I've found they can make just about anything of tofu. It's really just a little scary!

I can't say my mouth waters at the thought of tofu turkey!eek7.gif My canines are too well-developed, I guess!mwink.gif

Good set, Dave! Your lighting looks more than just fill, and it's pretty direct, so how did you avoid shadows so very well!?! Some tofu turkey (my share) for your secret!:D Actually, I'll pay more...

Neil

edited November 28, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    This is terrific! Go for it!clap.gifclap.gif

bd, I think it's great you noticed this Mini. I have had a wish that more " PJ/Streeties" would get involved with the Minis, and with themes about our lives like this one they have their chance, and have lost their excuses!mwink.gifD It would make a really interesting balance with the Sharp Shooters, which typically tends towards different techniques than in PJ/Street.

Neil

edited November 28, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    I can't say my mouth waters at the thought of tofu turkey!eek7.gif My canines are too well-developed, I guess!mwink.gif

Good set, Dave! Your lighting looks more than just fill, and it's pretty direct, so how did you avoid shadows so very well!?! Some tofu turkey (my share) for your secret!:D Actually, I'll pay more...

Neil

These were bounced off the ceiling with a 3x5 card rubber banded to my flash to throw some forward.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 28, 2009
    Running the vacuum before the guests arive
    725191306_9mU3F-L.jpg

Chilling out
    725189395_dcEFJ-L.jpg

Gotta look good
    725191081_FJiHp-L.jpg
    edited November 28, 2009
    Jeff,

:D Really enjoyed #3--What woman doesn't have to go through the whole beauty bit before the guests arrive? That's a good capture of an image we're all familiar with but rarely document.

Nice captures of the before....

I like where this thread is going--keep 'em coming.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 28, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    These were bounced off the ceiling with a 3x5 card rubber banded to my flash to throw some forward.

Thanks, Dave! Well, your pics here are sure proof that THAT works!:D

Neil

• rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    439167293_WGYK8-L-1.jpg
    This is from last year... I began emailing photos out on Dec 1 to my friends and family, all through the month of December...

(I got so into the stuffing and the mashed potatoes the other day I forgot to pick up the camera!!!)
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Oh the sacrifices that the cook makes...

My daughter's first Christmas turkey - she was pretty grossed out but served the best turkey dinner I've ever had.

726138696_iLQzS-L.jpg

Kitchen chair quarterback

726219697_oo7d5-L.jpg

Pitching in

726212486_tSWuD-L.jpg
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited November 29, 2009
    I have a good idea for this..... I just need a tripod head :cry

:lurk
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 29, 2009
    rteest42 wrote:
    This is from last year... I began emailing photos out on Dec 1 to my friends and family, all through the month of December...

(I got so into the stuffing and the mashed potatoes the other day I forgot to pick up the camera!!!)

It's ok, it doesn't have to be just about Thanksgiving and it doesn't have to be current.

The gift wrapping shot is definately part of "preparations"--I particularly like that you chose not to do it in color.

Remember you can come back anytime before the deadline and add two more shots to your post.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 29, 2009
    Patti,
    I really enjoy looking at your series of shots.
    The look on your daughter's face is priceless:)--I felt that way about taking the innards out of my first turkey this year as well.

I also like "the matriarch" shot---kitchen chair quaterbackrolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 29, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    This is a great choice of theme, Liz and Andrew!thumb.gif It's topical, inclusive of all our lifestyles, and yet so personal to our experiences! I really look forward to seeing all those moments behind the scenes before the curtain rises on the event, whatever the seasonal celebration. Themes like this - our lives - so suit the Minis, I think. Wonderful! I wish challenge #86 a memorable two weeks. I'm sure it will become part of the Preparations for a few Dgrinners this year!mwink.gifDclap.gif

Neil

Thank you Neil:) We were pretty happy with the choice ourselves, glad we agree on the idea early on.

Now I await your entry/entries :D
    Liz A.
    _________
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    It's been a while since I've been able to participate in one of these challenges so here it goes. Over the past few years, my family has put together puzzles during the holidays. My mother will frame them and put them around her house for the holidays.

#1 Hmmm!
    727252660_zPVhn-L.jpg

#2 Experience
    727252544_MGKJZ-L.jpg

#3 Getting Serious
    727252605_amsRJ-L.jpg
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    It's been a while since I've been able to participate in one of these challenges so here it goes. Over the past few years, my family has put together puzzles during the holidays. My mother will frame them and put them around her house for the holidays.

Interesting tradition.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Oh the sacrifices that the cook makes...

My daughter's first Christmas turkey - she was pretty grossed out but served the best turkey dinner I've ever had.

Kitchen chair quarterback

That is a very impressive shot.
    edited November 30, 2009
    1. "Christmas in the Sandbox" - Didn't turn out as well as I thought, but I may have another attempt later today. For now, this is my sole entry

727712768_c7orL-XL.jpg
    edited November 30, 2009
    MooreDriven,
    That is a wonderful family tradition for the holidays! Took me back to when I used to them a loooong time ago and thinking it would be nice to introduce the kids to "puzzle time" now.

Love the tradition and that you captured it on film.
    Great entries.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 30, 2009
    Swords and Scales,
    That is a very touching photo.
    It makes me smile until I see the scented pine tree car freshner on the tree, and then I just started laughing--great sense of humor those guys must have.

Thank you for sharing, hope you are able to add more to you post--

PS--Gotta like anyone that has Hobbs as their Avatar.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 30, 2009
    Swords and Scales,
    That is a very touching photo.
    It makes me smile until I see the scented pine tree car freshner on the tree, and then I just started laughing--great sense of humor those guys must have.

Thank you for sharing, hope you are able to add more to you post--

PS--Gotta like anyone that has Hobbs as their Avatar.
    '

Thanks for the feedback lizzard. I hope I can come up with some more content too, sadly, holiday photo ops here are a little scarce. Nevertheless, I shall press on.

Also, I chose Hobbes for his likeable demeanor and impeccable stuffed wisdom. :)
    edited November 30, 2009
    Thank you Neil:) We were pretty happy with the choice ourselves, glad we agree on the idea early on.

Now I await your entry/entries :D

Hi Liz! I'm really enjoying the entries here!

As for me, I'm in a similar situation to Sword and Scales, being far from home and all that, and in another cultural environment altogether.

Neil