Options

Apparition

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited November 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
...when a street is more than a street. Hope you enjoy!

722731976_piLfH-L.jpg

(c)brosepix2009

Neil

"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    Very strange. I like it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 24, 2009
    Where was this unique statue displayed?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Yeah, I like this too. I love the way the man gives away no inkling that he even noticed what he just walked past. How could he not notice?!

Personally, I would have waited to get a picture with the man at the end of his stride, rather than with his legs overlapping, but that's just my personal preference.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Very strange. I like it. thumb.gif

Yes, it is a bit strange, such a statue in such a location, you have to keep looking back at it.

Thanks for your comment, R!:D

Neil

• Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Where was this unique statue displayed?

Nice to get your comment, thanks!

It's in one of the minor streets in the Melbourne Aus CBD.

Neil

• Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    PMC wrote:
    Yeah, I like this too. I love the way the man gives away no inkling that he even noticed what he just walked past. How could he not notice?!

Personally, I would have waited to get a picture with the man at the end of his stride, rather than with his legs overlapping, but that's just my personal preference.

Thanks for your comment, and for pointing out that the legs of the man might not be in the best position. I hadn't really given much thought to it, but I can now imagine that getting them at a more separated position in his stride might have looked better. I took 3 as he walked past the statue, I'll check the others for that. I picked this one for his position in relation to the statue, and because he was a bit sharper in it.

Neil

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    This is a really different and I really like it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    This is a really different and I really like it thumb.gif

And I'm happy you do, Mary! Thanks! Woof / \ / \ / \ / \ !!

Neil

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Perhaps he's legally blind. :D It's an interesting shot. That's quite a large sculpture for a sidewalk. What is in the angel's other hand?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Perhaps he's legally blind. :D It's an interesting shot. That's quite a large sculpture for a sidewalk. What is in the angel's other hand?

I get a feeling that a naked women with wings on Queen street holding a skull in the left hand may not be and angel. :D

Great capture Neil!!! And for me, getting the queen st. sign in the pic. added to it. azzaro
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    And I'm happy you do, Mary! Thanks! Woof / \ / \ / \ / \ !!

Neil

:Drolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    I get a feeling that a naked women with wings on Queen street holding a skull in the left hand may not be and angel. :D

Great capture Neil!!! And for me, getting the queen st. sign in the pic. added to it. azzaro

Laughing.gif I looked at it this morning without my glasses on. Just saw the skull.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    I, too, like this photograph. The composition (including the street sign) really works and the subject matter is intriguing.

Nude statues in public are not unusual in many parts of the world. People who live with them treat them just like any other public art. Sometimes they notice them, sometimes they don't. I assume that the man passing by has walked by this particular statue many times.

For us, of course, it is new and very startling - especially the skull which I didn't notice at first either.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Great shot! The combination of street sign, statue, and oblivious pedestrian tells a great story in a compact package. I can only concur with a few other posters and say that the man's stride is very awkward, and after looking at the unusual statue I was immediately drawn to that strangeness.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:

Thanks. Yep, I was keeping on the other side of the street, as you can see!

Neil

• Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Laughing.gif I looked at it this morning without my glasses on. Just saw the skull.

Time release photography!:D

Neil

• Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I, too, like this photograph. The composition (including the street sign) really works and the subject matter is intriguing.

Nude statues in public are not unusual in many parts of the world. People who live with them treat them just like any other public art. Sometimes they notice them, sometimes they don't. I assume that the man passing by has walked by this particular statue many times.

For us, of course, it is new and very startling - especially the skull which I didn't notice at first either.

Virginia

Seems a good theory to me, Virginia!thumb.gif

Thanks for your comment!

Neil

• Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Great shot! The combination of street sign, statue, and oblivious pedestrian tells a great story in a compact package. I can only concur with a few other posters and say that the man's stride is very awkward, and after looking at the unusual statue I was immediately drawn to that strangeness.

Yes, and it gets funnier the more I look at itrolleyes1.gif, together with the walks in the other versions I have, none of them look 'normal' now!!! Even if the guy was standing feet together looking at the camera and smiling, I think I would double over with the hilarity of it!:D:D:D

There's only one thing I can do now, and that's send it to Monty Python's Dept of Funny Walks. It should be a big hit there!

Thanks for your comment, Sword and Scales!

Neil