Options

My 2. post here

RaimiosRaimios Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited November 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
This is the second post to this forum ...it's still "the way I introduce myself". These are my street photos...
All comments and critiques are welcome!

_medium.jpg

#2:

_medium.jpg

#3:

_medium.jpg

#4:

_medium.jpg

and last one, this is the one I like .....

_medium.jpg

Thank you for looking!
You don't take a photograph, you make it. (Ansel Adams)
My gallery : http://raimios.kuvat.fi/kuvat/

Comments

• Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    The first image is the only one that really speaks to me. This is because you were sorta close enough to capture some human emotion. Still, the family is very much lost in the crowd, with too many distractions. The bar jutting into the young girl's head is a problem too.

The others are all too safe and impersonal, or is it the other way around? Where's the challenge and vitality in shooting a little dog, or tourists from 50 feet above, or the clothed backsides of bystanders. The fourth shot is also too uninvolving. The dog is the only point of interest and unfortunately it is chopped off the frame too much. Again, we are looking at the backs of people, and that is probably the least interesting part of the species photographically. The rendering is OK, though it looks like you used a little too much negative clarity in Lightroom.

Sorry if I am direct, but I believe good street photography communicates emotional connections, and often that means pictures of faces and expressions.

M
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I enjoyed all five...thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I agree with Miguel regarding closeness and #1.

Lose the frames. They do nothing for you except take up pixels which could show your picture instead.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Raimios. Firstly, welcome to DGrin!!!

There is potential in each of these shots except #3 (don't like #3), but they all need something at the time of capture. I also think you've done a good job on the PP. What's missing for me is twofold, an interesting perspective and some level of emotional connection with the subjects.

Closer is important, but it isn't an absolute. Just the connection. There's probably too much happening around the primary subjects to let the intent show through. Even a backside or feet can express something, but in these cases it's generally a miss.

Looking forward to more images!

Jenn
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin thumb.gif

I really like your photos, but your last one with the dog in the lower corner -- that's different and I like different :D
  • Options
    RaimiosRaimios Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Thank you for comments! iloveyou.gif
    You don't take a photograph, you make it. (Ansel Adams)
    My gallery : http://raimios.kuvat.fi/kuvat/
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin thumb.gif

I really like your photos, but your last one with the dog in the lower corner -- that's different and I like different :D

I like different too, but the dog was really distracting from an otherwise great photo. I think cropping it out goes a long way to make it great.

#1 is incredibly busy, my eyes were bouncing all over the place trying to decide what you exactly intended as the subject.

#3 is an interesting shot. THe guy in the dark aviator glasses is "almost" looking at you making it a bit intriguing and the statues is a really cool addition right behind the people sitting on the fence.

Keep shooting and welcome!!
  • Options
    allensfotoallensfoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    good pix .. really like the vantage point of 3.. i love people watching .. i am fixing to start doing it with my camera.. lol..
    Curtis
    Failure is not an option for me,
    So i just keep pressing the shutter and trying again.
    http://allensfoto.net
    :gun2
  • Options
    warpig602warpig602 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I like #3 and #4