Options

Army Wedding at Ft Campbell

WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited November 30, 2009 in Weddings
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Here's a few shots from my latest wedding, this past saturday. Gotta love the dress blues.
I'm quite open to some good C&C, as it only makes me better. Is the processing too much with all the color shifting? It definately sets it apart.

No real bridal shots here. My 2nd shooter covered the bride this time, and I don't have the disc yet. The bride was about 90 minutes late getting ready, so we had very limited time for the photos we were going to get.

The 3 photo series by the wall is really about half of the series, but it shows the important factors. This was their first viewing of each other, prior to the wedding. They didn't quite follow instructions, or else I would have had them meet in the middle at the corner, and I could have captured more of his face. He really started to choke-up a bit, but I'm not sure if it shows that, or if he just looks bored. Trust me, he's not. He's tearing up. Does it show?

As for technical things, let it fly. Hit me.

Groom prep. (yes, that's his wedding ring on right hand. They were already married in the court or whatever, and I should have thought to have him remove it)
1 KellyCollar.jpg

Groom with best man/brother
2 KellynBrothr.jpg

Candid shot of groom being looked over by one of his guys.
3 KellyBack.jpg

The guys
4 TheGuys.jpg

First viewing
5) A, B, C, D
ZahryaWall1.jpg
ZahyraWall2.jpg
ZahryaWall3.jpg
ZahryaWall4.jpg

Few minutes later, elsewhere..
6 ZahryaKelKS2.jpg

First dance
7 1stDance.jpg

Reception dancing. (Had to crop her face and make it a panorama. She looked stoned)
8 Dancing.jpg

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
My Weddings WebsiteBlog

Comments

• Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Love the photos but it's funny that you mention the dress blues because your post processing has turned them all into dress blacks. Would love to see some of the actual wedding service.
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Disregard comment about photos of the service. I just reread your post.
    DUH headscratch.gif
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    #7 WOW!!!
    You should sent that one to ArmyTimes.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    For control data purposes, here's a photo of them walking into the reception. (I don't like this shot). It shows the actual colors of his "blues". Really, only the pants are blue, so there's not much missed by the color shifting, IMO. I'm pretty much only shifting the colors in the outdoor shots for this wedding. I can just tell them the sun was off color that day. :D Seriously, if it's bad, I need to know.
    _MG_5548.jpg
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Weisel wrote:
    I'm pretty much only shifting the colors in the outdoor shots for this wedding. I can just tell them the sun was off color that day. :D Seriously, if it's bad, I need to know.

Are you working on a calibrated monitor? I am and the first glance ABCD shots look pretty gray/green to my eyes, the processing doesn't flatter her skin. The desaturated shots in the beginning of the set don't bother me so much, but the happy moment they first see each other feels kinda gloomy. ne_nau.gif Maybe if we saw the naturally colored ones we could make some suggestions on how to pop them without losing the sentiment.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    That first dance shot it great thumb.gif As mentioned above, I'd check the WB on some of the others.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    I'll weigh in with the masses here: That dance shot is excellent - with some refinement, you might develop a very powerful trademark/money shot with that one.

The color shifting is interesting. I mean that literary. For the couple looking for something different and dramatic I think it would be a very cool option.
    --Kres
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Thanks for the props on the "1st dance" photo everyone. It's great to hear when I'm doing something right also, so I can aim that direction in the future. I will probably take the advice and try to make that my "money shot" to some degree.

As for my monitor...no it's not calibrated yet, and I know I need it done. Any advice on how one goes about doing this (or having it done)?

The color shifting in most of these photos is the "Troy" Trad action. I think I reduced it to maybe 90% though, but still, it's definately shifty. I just really wanted to make the photos stand out. I may try another approach.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Weisel wrote:

As for my monitor...no it's not calibrated yet, and I know I need it done. Any advice on how one goes about doing this (or having it done)?

Try one of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-Spyder2-Express-Win-Mac/dp/B000ES4PYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1259184899&sr=8-1">these </a> really worth the little money that they cost.

And the Dancing shot looks like something out of the movies, fantastic shot.
  • Options
    digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Dancing Shot
    What sort of exposure?clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    digger2 wrote:
    What sort of exposure?clap.gif

I captured the 1st dance shot with my 50mm wide open at 1.4 1/80th ISO 400

When they walked into the reception hall, they went directly to the dance floor, and to my great delight, there was this spotlight suddenly shining right down on them. I knew about the other cool dance lighting they had there, but not the spot. (it was immobile, just shooting right down). I was stoked. It was a lucky moment for me.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog