Options

3-way head or Ball head? Which one do you have? Why?

fedoragentfedoragent Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 15, 2009 in Accessories
Folks,

My ghetto plastic tripod is now dead as a door nail. I've been trying to buy a used tripod due to finances but it just hasn't worked out. Therefore, I am going to bite the bullet and buy that tripod I want and need. However, I was hoping to solicit some ideas. I like the 3-way head that Lee has shown me, but people on the net seem partial to ball heads. What did you go with and why specifically? Also, I am looking at Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giottos and Flashpoint. However, I'm not sure whether I would go with Carbon Fibre or Aluminum. What did you go with and why?

Last simple question, is it advisable or inadvisable to mix and match heads with legs from different vendors? For instance, a Flashpoint Carbon Fibre with a Manfrotto 3-way head?

Thanks for any help you can give.

J

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    I'm looking forward to the information you recieve as I'm looking for a new tripod or a ballhead on my Silk tripod.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    Your budget will play a large role in the quality of the tripod and head you end up with. Good tripods and good ballheads are a joy to use. Cheap tripods and ballheads are money wasted as no one will put up with actually using one for very long.

There are a number of threads in the Review section at the top of this forum or click here

You can pick a set of good legs from Manfrotto, or Gitzo or other manufacturers. The model number will vary from year to year. Pick the size you want/need, and whether you want three or four piece legs. I strongly prefer three piece legs - sturdier, and easier to put up and take down, but different strokes for different folks.

Really Right Stuff's ballheads rock, whether the BH-40 or the BH-55. I rec either highly. I own both. You WILL want to use Arca-Swiss style tripod clamps and camera plates or L-plates. I do not buy a camera without its appropriate L-plate at the time of camera purchase.

The thing to remember about good tripods and ballheads is that they will last you forever. You will still be using the same one ( if it is really a good one ) long after your present camera has moved on to its burial ground.

As for Aluminum versus Carbon Fibre. If you ever use a tripod out of doors in below zero weather, you will know immediately which is better. Aluminum will suck the heat out of your hands and freeze you to death. Carbon Fibre feels almost heated by comparison! At that point, you will wish you had the Carbon Fibre, no matter the price difference three times over.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    fedoragent wrote:
    Folks,

My ghetto plastic tripod is now dead as a door nail. I've been trying to buy a used tripod due to finances but it just hasn't worked out. Therefore, I am going to bite the bullet and buy that tripod I want and need. However, I was hoping to solicit some ideas. I like the 3-way head that Lee has shown me, but people on the net seem partial to ball heads. What did you go with and why specifically? Also, I am looking at Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giottos and Flashpoint. However, I'm not sure whether I would go with Carbon Fibre or Aluminum. What did you go with and why?

Last simple question, is it advisable or inadvisable to mix and match heads with legs from different vendors? For instance, a Flashpoint Carbon Fibre with a Manfrotto 3-way head?

J

I now carry a Giottos Mt9180 (discontinued for new models) and I use a manfrotto 322RC2 Grip action ball head......I went from a Vivitar video Tripod to a Manfrotto set of legs (3 sections) + the 322RC2 Grip ball head..by the way of a 488RC2 ball head.........I changed from the Manfrotto legs to Giottos for a couple of reasons.....

the 3 section legs kept getting caught on the top of doorways entering or exiting trains, buses, trams and subways when I was in the Czech Republic....so when I got home I immediately put them on ebay and sold them......I searched long and hard for a replacement....no one locally had anything that was sturdy enuff to switch between my 35mm and medium format cams and lenses.....so searching the internet, one night reaaaaal late I found a forum that someone had purchased a Gitzo and a Giottos set of legs and this photog raved that the Giottos were made everybit as well as the Gitzo and were <1/2 the price.....and I read a couple of other such claims........I found a set that I would be happy with and bought them.....now I do a lot of wildlife and nature photography and I wanted something I could backpack and was still sturdy.....I had already bought and returned a UK tripod called BenBo......but it was again tooo long when compacted for carrying........I got the Giottos and with its versatility was hooked........

My choice of ball head......fluid heads or any head with a long handle....the handle gets in theway I had to cut mine off and make a custome pan arm/handle.........standard ball head.......to many hands needed to twist the locks as your moving up/down and panning horizontally.........The horizontal Grip action 322RC2 is a great head for me.....once I got used to it I can pan, lift, lower all with one hand controlling everyting......I just love it.........

I bought my tripod when carbon fiber was still a very new and exotic thing.....nothing under $1K and the weight was only 1-2 pounds less than mine....and I paid ~150$ for mine 5yrs ago...so I figured I could handle the extra weight for the $850 savings.....plus no carbon fiber tripod could contort into the positions that my Giottos can get into......... GIOTTOS FROM PHILLYPHOTO ......I always use phillyphoto when showing what the Giottos can do becasue they will show all the positions and heights it can contort into...........
    Giottos Pro Tripods...Alum and Carbon Fiber on ebay.......Now I am considering a carbon fiber or lava(basalt) tripod for weight mainly and also for vibration resistance......................but this will be my last tripod unless it is stolen or gets broken.......buy the very best you can afford and best doesnot necessarily mean the most expensive...............

Contrary to what some say about Alum. pods.....mine has never stuck or my fingers/hands have never froze to the pod.....it does have foam insulators to grab if need be......and I shoot out in sub zero weather in the snow and rain a lot.........................a good pair of warm gloves ( i use a thermax glove with a handwarmer pouch ontop.....and they are warm).......I have a harder time with batteries than anything else in cold weather....there again a ahndwarmer in pocket with batts and all is good......................

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Ed_HanrattyEd_Hanratty Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2009
    There's a little story out there about the $2000 Tripod. A person kept buying cheap tripods until they finally purchased a good one for $400 and a ball head for $400. Upon looking at their pile of tripods and heads they had gathered over a time, it would have been cheaper to just make due with what he had and save up for the good stuff.

That being said, I have a couple cheaper heads and tripods. They work well for me. I prefer a ball head, but I do not have a good one so it's a little frustrating which is why I end up resorting to the 3-way head. I have more control with the three way than my cheap ball heads, but I also have a lot more controls to deal with in a bulkier unit. Best bet is to find a local store that carries a collection of tripods and head (Calumet for me) and play with them. Bring your camera in and try them all out and the combinations. Any reputable store should allow you to. Whichever is most comfortable and affordable to you is the right one. The wrong one is the one you buy because someone else told you to.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 1, 2009
    fedoragent wrote:
    Folks,

J

Ball heads are simply much easier and faster to adjust than 3-way heads, which is why most people prefer them. There is no problem mixing heads and legs from different vendors.

The only real problem is cost--the good stuff is expensive. I first bought a cheapo Giottos aluminum tripod when I was shooting with a P&S, but it was useless when I upgraded to a dSLR. After a lot of hesitation and worry, I bought a Manfrotto mag fiber set of legs (055MF3) and RRS BH-40 head, release plate and L-bracket. I think the whole thing came to around 900 bucks, but (except for the L-bracket, which is tailored to the camera body) I don't think it will ever need replacement and it is a joy to use.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I agree with Richard. The ball head is so much faster and easier to use. Adjustments can be made with very little effort.

I recently upgraded from my totally cheap tripod to something better. I'm not a pro; just an ambitious hobbyist - so I was limited in what I was going to spend.

What I did was to research what I wanted and then keep my eyes on the POTN forums for the opportunity to purchase them used. On the recommendation of Scott Kelby and others I went with the Manfrotto 190XPROB and the 322RC2.

I've been very, very happy with that combo and it cost me under $200 shipped for used but still like new in the boxes with all packaging. If you keep your eyes open you can find what you're looking for at a fair price.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited December 1, 2009
    My current favorite, that I use, is the Manfrotto 755XB MDEVE, with integral 50mm half-ball. I think it is sturdy enough for any of my cameras through the 1D MKII and a 70-200mm, f2.8 lens, especially with a Manfrotto 3047 head (model III). I can also use this with medium format and occasional large format cameras. (This head is no longer made and it is similar to a heavier-duty version of the current 804RC2 or 808RC pan head.)

I also use a Manfrotto "elbow bracket" for holding camera/lens combinations that don't have a tripod ring. The elbow bracket keeps the center-of-balance proper and the bracket includes an anti-rotation device which adapts to multiple camera bodies.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/14804
    http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-3047-Deluxe-Tripod-Release/dp/B000077VZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1246365867&sr=1-1
    http://tiny.cc/UXL4Y
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    This is all very interesting, but how much weight it can hold and standing up to wind is a worry to me. When I read info on tripods and heads they give different weight amounts. Do I look for total weight a tripod can hold then take the weight of the camera/lens and head to figure out the weight the tripod needs to hold. After that I move up to how much the head can hold??? Sometimes these numbers don't match up well. I'm sure this sounded really confusing, but hopefully someone can figure it out and let me know :D

My heaviest is the 40D together with the 24-105 lens. My 70-300 is lighter, but does the zoom make a difference in what head you may need? I would like to figure higher in weight just in case I win the lottery and can afford a nice 300mm :D

My tripod right now is a Silk weighing in at just alittle over 7lbs and that gets really heavy to lug around. Its served its purpose....held the weight and is sturdy, but I'd like lightweight, but heavy enough to hold up my gear in wind. One with a center weight would be wonderful along with getting really low to the ground. Am I asking for the Moon rolleyes1.gif

Could someone expain the use of an L-bracket and elbow bracket that Ziggy mentioned? Why is it better then the round bugger I attach my camera to my tripod with?

Right now my tripod has the two screw handles and the head is starting to slip on me.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    MaryKim,

Normally a tripod's specs will say something like "Load Capacity"......that is the total weight a tripod is supposed to handle.......safely......I look at load capacities around 20-30 lbs....that way I know I probably won't have any problems in the future...............with this type of load capacity you are sure to be getting a sturdy tripod.....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I look at load capacities around 20-30 lbs....that way I know I probably won't have any problems in the future

15524779-Ti.gif 100%
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    This is all very interesting, but how much weight it can hold and standing up to wind is a worry to me. When I read info on tripods and heads they give different weight amounts. Do I look for total weight a tripod can hold then take the weight of the camera/lens and head to figure out the weight the tripod needs to hold. After that I move up to how much the head can hold??? Sometimes these numbers don't match up well. I'm sure this sounded really confusing, but hopefully someone can figure it out and let me know :D

My heaviest is the 40D together with the 24-105 lens. My 70-300 is lighter, but does the zoom make a difference in what head you may need? I would like to figure higher in weight just in case I win the lottery and can afford a nice 300mm :D

My tripod right now is a Silk weighing in at just alittle over 7lbs and that gets really heavy to lug around. Its served its purpose....held the weight and is sturdy, but I'd like lightweight, but heavy enough to hold up my gear in wind. One with a center weight would be wonderful along with getting really low to the ground. Am I asking for the Moon rolleyes1.gif

Could someone expain the use of an L-bracket and elbow bracket that Ziggy mentioned? Why is it better then the round bugger I attach my camera to my tripod with?

Right now my tripod has the two screw handles and the head is starting to slip on me.

The point of the L/elbow bracket (they serve the same function, although different brands look different) is that it allows you to quickly flip the camera from landscape to portrait orientation, and back again, with resetting the tripod head. The bracket has two quick-release plates in one piece, with one of them positioned under the camera, in the usual position, and the other on the left side.

It's amusing how every staunch advocate of the superiority of ballheads for quick adjustments has an L bracket mounted to each camera body, these days. rolleyes1.gif In my experience, having used both types, ballheads are simpler to adjust, but they're not necessarily quicker to adjust. Sure, there is (usually) only one knob/lever to deal with, but that doesn't make it any easier to get the camera/lens combo level, plumb, and precisely angled. Sometimes it makes it harder.

Once you have your tripod levelled, a 3-way head allows you to adjust each setting individually, without worrying about messing up the other two. With a ballhead, every time you adjust it, you have to adjust ALL the "settings", because they're all lumped together. I suspect that's why L-brackets are becoming nearly universal, but that approach really makes the ballhead completely unnecessary. Its only function, with that approach, is to level the camera, which could be done by simply levelling the tripod. (If you had a quick-release mechanism mounted directly on the tripod, you wouldn't need the ballhead.) Granted, that is easier with a ballhead.

Personally, after years of using a 3-way head, I recently (well, okay, it was a year and a half ago, but it feels recent) purchased this Cullman ballhead; http://www.amazon.com/Cullmann-Magnesit-Deluxe-Platform-Plate/dp/B000L9S34U/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1. Aside from the (in my opinion) excessively large quick-release plate/mechanism, I couldn't ask for more, or better performance. It's rated for a whopping 35 lb load, where most "heavy duty" heads are rated for around 17 lbs, and that may be accurate.

Since I was replacing another brand of ballhead that was also rated at 17 lbs, but which was totally inadequate, I wanted something sturdier. The Cullman certainly holds my 1DS MKII, with 100-400MM L series lens, rock steady, at any angle. Of course, it's not a one-knob design, so some people won't like it. but it's a beautifully crafted machine that works flawlessly. And the oversize plate does allow for some positioning adjustment, so even that comes in handy, at times.

But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy to a 3-way head, either, if I knew of one that would reliably support heavy loads. Gitzo and Velbon each offer one rated for 22 lbs, at twice the price of the Cullman ballhead, but I couldn't find any reviews of them, so I was hesitant to gamble that much on them.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    Art and Steve -- Now I understand. I'll look for load capacity thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    EarthDog wrote:
    The point of the L/elbow bracket (they serve the same function, although different brands look different) is that it allows you to quickly flip the camera from landscape to portrait orientation, and back again, with resetting the tripod head. The bracket has two quick-release plates in one piece, with one of them positioned under the camera, in the usual position, and the other on the left side.

It's amusing how every staunch advocate of the superiority of ballheads for quick adjustments has an L bracket mounted to each camera body, these days. rolleyes1.gif In my experience, having used both types, ballheads are simpler to adjust, but they're not necessarily quicker to adjust. Sure, there is (usually) only one knob/lever to deal with, but that doesn't make it any easier to get the camera/lens combo level, plumb, and precisely angled. Sometimes it makes it harder.

Once you have your tripod levelled, a 3-way head allows you to adjust each setting individually, without worrying about messing up the other two. With a ballhead, every time you adjust it, you have to adjust ALL the "settings", because they're all lumped together. I suspect that's why L-brackets are becoming nearly universal, but that approach really makes the ballhead completely unnecessary. Its only function, with that approach, is to level the camera, which could be done by simply levelling the tripod. (If you had a quick-release mechanism mounted directly on the tripod, you wouldn't need the ballhead.) Granted, that is easier with a ballhead.

Personally, after years of using a 3-way head, I recently (well, okay, it was a year and a half ago, but it feels recent) purchased this Cullman ballhead; http://www.amazon.com/Cullmann-Magnesit-Deluxe-Platform-Plate/dp/B000L9S34U/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1. Aside from the (in my opinion) excessively large quick-release plate/mechanism, I couldn't ask for more, or better performance. It's rated for a whopping 35 lb load, where most "heavy duty" heads are rated for around 17 lbs, and that may be accurate.

Since I was replacing another brand of ballhead that was also rated at 17 lbs, but which was totally inadequate, I wanted something sturdier. The Cullman certainly holds my 1DS MKII, with 100-400MM L series lens, rock steady, at any angle. Of course, it's not a one-knob design, so some people won't like it. but it's a beautifully crafted machine that works flawlessly. And the oversize plate does allow for some positioning adjustment, so even that comes in handy, at times.

But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy to a 3-way head, either, if I knew of one that would reliably support heavy loads. Gitzo and Velbon each offer one rated for 22 lbs, at twice the price of the Cullman ballhead, but I couldn't find any reviews of them, so I was hesitant to gamble that much on them.

Very good information -- Thanks Earthdog :D

I checked out the ballhead you have and photo #7 scared me to death. I would be so scared to do that, but as I can see it holds. I think it's the way the ball looks in the socket that makes me scared....kinda like nothing is holding it in place. But that's what I want to do with no fear.

Why would someone want a ball head if they need to re-adjust all settings? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I like the L-bracket theory.....that I could use. I'm always switching and it's a mess sometimes. My cheapo tripod won't let it go perfectly up/down because my tripod leg is in the way. I can twist it, but it's still in the way and that just causes other issues. Suppose I could move up my center post, but I'm so short that it just makes it harder to use.

This thread has been a wealth of information.

Thanks everyone :D
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Very good information -- Thanks Earthdog :D

I checked out the ballhead you have and photo #7 scared me to death. I would be so scared to do that, but as I can see it holds. I think it's the way the ball looks in the socket that makes me scared....kinda like nothing is holding it in place. But that's what I want to do with no fear.
    You're welcome. :): I hadn't even noticed those additional photos, but #7 does demonstrate why one might need extra holding power. And that's not even a very demanding load.
    Dogdots wrote:
    Why would someone want a ball head if they need to re-adjust all settings? That just doesn't make any sense to me.
    Well, now you've reached the core of the argument. Once you've used both types, this is something you'll debate endlessly, because you'll be reminded of it every time you run into a situation where "the other type" would have been "better" than whichever one you're using at the moment.

Ballheads make it simpler and quicker to get your camera positioned approximately right. But, it's much more difficult to get it exactly right, because it's always easier to do one thing at a time rather than three things at the same time. Aiming a long lens on top of a loose ballhead is like target shooting while standing on one foot, but you can get on target very quickly, and sometimes that's the most important thing.

3-ways, or pan heads, make it much easier to achieve precision, and make it possible to adjust one setting without affecting the others, but at the cost of speed. You have to make all those adjustments separately, and that will take longer, compared to a single knob ballhead, no matter what you do. But, there are tricks you can use when speed is more critical than precision.

Ultimately, we all have to accept a compromise, so we need to decide which is more important for our photography, speed or precision. It's possible to get both with either type; it's just easier with one versus the other.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    Thanks Earthdog for all the information :D

I was just looking at tripod heads and mine must be a three way, but it only has two handles headscratch.gif How is that?

Can you get a ball head with a handle? And if so can you pan up, down and side to side using the handle? I looked at some ballheads and they have a little knob to turn.

I would like to follow birds using the suitability of a tripod, but I want it to be easy to do, hold tight and last long. Wow..did I ask for the world rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks Earthdog for all the information :D

Can you get a ball head with a handle? And if so can you pan up, down and side to side using the handle? rolleyes1.gif

Manfrotto 322RC2 has a handle and is real sweet to use.....

1-
    52092082_6jMBb-M.jpg

52092087_KxGfv-M.jpg

52092090_ztnkF-M.jpg

52092092_sy7CH-M.jpg

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I would like to follow birds using the suitability of a tripod, but I want it to be easy to do, hold tight and last long. Wow..did I ask for the world rolleyes1.gif
    No, I don't think so. I think a good ballhead is ideal for this application. Doing the whole "track the BIF" with a good ballhead is simple, easy, and secure. You can see my current tripod/ballhead rig here. The RRS BH-55 has a friction adjustment knob (most ballheads do nowadays) that makes it easy to adjust how loose the ballhead is in the socket.

I've used three-way heads and found they don't work so well for me. I shoot people, wildlife (OK, people can sometimes fall into this group as well mwink.gif), and landscapes. For these applications, I've found (for me, YMMV) that getting the position/angle/attitude of the camera/lens close is good enough. The microscopic tuning of the composition I leave for post-processing.

However, I can easily see where precision positioning of the camera lens would be critical in applications such as macro and product photography. But there I think I would some sort of a geared rail to set the final position of the camera.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Art and Scott thank-you for sharing what you have with photos. That really helps me out. Seeing it puts it all into perspective.

Scott on page 2 of your photos...what is that white thing in our first photo? I notice your ball head doesn't have a handle, but the knob looks big enough to know if you've secured it tightly.

Art in your photos I notice in photo 3 you mentioned the main adjuster. Is that a button you can just put your thumb on and move up and down to move the handle?

Scott you have an awesome set up there. Was is really spendie? Never heard of Feisol before. I'm going to have to check that brand out. Looks like they give good support which is always good.

Thank you both for the time you gave to help me out. I'm so pumped to get a new tripod. Another toy clap.gif I know..its not a toy, but for us grown-ups it just so sweet to get new gear.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Art and Scott thank-you for sharing what you have with photos. That really helps me out. Seeing it puts it all into perspective.

Scott on page 2 of your photos...what is that white thing in our first photo? I notice your ball head doesn't have a handle, but the knob looks big enough to know if you've secured it tightly.

Scott you have an awesome set up there. Was is really spendie? Never heard of Feisol before. I'm going to have to check that brand out. Looks like they give good support which is always good.
    If you go here (I would post the product images here, but that - for good reason - is not allowed) you can see the ballhead and the clamp from a different perspective

There are 5 knobs on my ballhead/clamp
    • The big one is the main locking knob.
    • The other side, top is the knob used to adjust just how loosy-goosy the ballhead will get when fully "unlocked." This allows for some additional control/damping effect when needed.
    • The other side, lower is the ballhead panning action locking knob.
    • On the clamp, the larger knob is used to tighten the clamp on the QR plate
    • On the clamp, the smaller knob is another panning action locking knob.
    So, now, you are wondering why there are two panning functions on this. Well, to use the first one mentioned above, the tripod has to be leveled. To use the second one instead, all you need to do is level the clamp (see that little bubble level in the clamp?) to get a good, smooth, and continious panning platform - very useful for shooting a series of images for later stitching.

As for the price .... well, you can do the math. I'm still alive so it's evident I've not yet informed the DW about the actual price of the rig.

I can't say anything about their support as I've not had any problems though I can't complain about shipping time!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    If you go here (I would post the product images here, but that - for good reason - is not allowed) you can see the ballhead and the clamp from a different perspective

There are 5 knobs on my ballhead/clamp
    • The big one is the main locking knob.
    • The other side, top is the knob used to adjust just how loosy-goosy the ballhead will get when fully "unlocked." This allows for some additional control/damping effect when needed.
    • The other side, lower is the ballhead panning action locking knob.
    • On the clamp, the larger knob is used to tighten the clamp on the QR plate
    • On the clamp, the smaller knob is another panning action locking knob.
    So, now, you are wondering why there are two panning functions on this. Well, to use the first one mentioned above, the tripod has to be leveled. To use the second one instead, all you need to do is level the clamp (see that little bubble level in the clamp?) to get a good, smooth, and continious panning platform - very useful for shooting a series of images for later stitching.

As for the price .... well, you can do the math. I'm still alive so it's evident I've not yet informed the DW about the actual price of the rig.

I can't say anything about their support as I've not had any problems though I can't complain about shipping time!

I did the math :eek1

Your set up is a beauty tho -- maybe it is worth saving up for it.

Again Scott...good helpful information. This is something I need to sit and study as it's a new contraption for me. All those knobs kind of scare me a little only in the fact I could mess up with one and oops...there goes my camera.

Thanks Scott for the added information....off to study tripods and heads :D
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:

Art in your photos I notice in photo 3 you mentioned the main adjuster. Is that a button you can just put your thumb on and move up and down to move the handle?

The main adjuster is a friction control wheel that lets you regulate the power of the blocking mechanism to match the weight of your camera/lens......it is how you set the main tensioner so the camera/lens don't just flop forward or where ever when you're not holding onto them..........

• Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    The main adjuster is a friction control wheel that lets you regulate the power of the blocking mechanism to match the weight of your camera/lens......it is how you set the main tensioner so the camera/lens don't just flop forward or where ever when you're not holding onto them..........

That makes sense :D

Thanks for explaining that for me :D
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    And now for something compelete different...
    Dogdots wrote:
    No. What you asked for is a gimbal head. :D We haven't even talked about those, because they're pretty specialized and can be pricy but, if that's your primary interest, they're definitely the way to go. There are some less expensive ones, like this one; http://www.adorama.com/FPGH.html. I can't vouch for the quality, but Adorama is very reliable, as a rule.

But, Wimberly is the big name in this arena, and those do tend to run into serious money ($500+), but are widely considered well worth it. They also have a new almost-but-not-quite-a-gimbal design that has gotten great reviews, and only runs $250; http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm But, it requires a separate ballhead, so that may not be ideal for you, at the moment.

You should definitely look into gimbals, though, if you really are into bird-in-flight photography.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    EarthDog wrote:
    No. What you asked for is a gimbal head. :D We haven't even talked about those, because they're pretty specialized and can be pricy but, if that's your primary interest, they're definitely the way to go. There are some less expensive ones, like this one; http://www.adorama.com/FPGH.html. I can't vouch for the quality, but Adorama is very reliable, as a rule.

But, Wimberly is the big name in this arena, and those do tend to run into serious money ($500+), but are widely considered well worth it. They also have a new almost-but-not-quite-a-gimbal design that has gotten great reviews, and only runs $250; http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm But, it requires a separate ballhead, so that may not be ideal for you, at the moment.

You should definitely look into gimbals, though, if you really are into bird-in-flight photography.

Sorry it took me so long to respond -- I missed it in my email headscratch.gif

I like the first one you linked to -- the one at Adorama. I've also bought from them before with no problems. Hmmmmmm......This is leading me in a good direction.

Oh my.....the other one will get expensive. I do see that word 'Wimberly' mentioned a lot :D Is there really much difference in these two brands? Or is it just what others want because it's easier to use, less weight or it goes with their tripod. I know some like the brand to stay consistent in their gear.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm still looking. Figure if I take my time...I'll get excatly what I'm looking for :D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited December 12, 2009
    For birding and BIFs, some like the Bogen/Manfrotto 393 Gimbal head. While it has 2 gimbal bearings, unlike the Sidekick design with one gimbal bearing, you can use it mounted camera top or camera bottom.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554099-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_393_393_Heavy_Duty_Gimbal.html

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?searchinfo=manfrotto%20393

Also check out fluid video heads, which provide smoother action for tracking.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 12, 2009
    Ziggy I own both a Sidekick and Wimberly gimbal head. The Sidekick is fine for 300-400mm lenses. For fast 500 primes and bigger, the Wimberly gimbal mount is a much, much better choice.

One must be aware that a large telephoto + camera + large tripod + Wimberly head can easily approach 40 pounds in weight. Gets very heavy to move around with anything but very short hikes.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    Ziggy that is one funky looking thing rolleyes1.gif But I like it :D

Can you use a video head for your camera? I never thought of that before...that is a good idea.

Thanks for the information Ziggy :D
  • Options
    tzippletzipple Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Check out the Really Right Stuff Web Site
    The RRS site includes a good tutorial on choosing a pod and head. Generally speaking, I hate 3 way heads, love ball heads. Ball heads are easier and faster to use. RRS, Markins, Kirk, Acratech are great names to consider. he ball head will last for decades so do not under buy. The price of a good head is forgotten fast but the aggravation of using a cheap head lasts a long time!

If you need a light and sturdy tripod, carbon is the only answer. Gitzo is tops. Benro good and cheaper. If you need to go cheaper than carbon, you can get heavy and sturdy aluminum pods that are quite good. A used Manfrotto 3021 can be found used for $75 and it is very good... just heavy.
    fedoragent wrote:
    Folks,

J