Options

Help needed with B/W conversion!!!

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited December 4, 2009 in People
Hi All! I've been working on my B/W conversions in LR and would like to know if this looks ok. If not, I'd like to hear from the more experienced as to what I need to do to make this one better.

1. Tiffany and her kitten
728586013_X2oZZ-L.jpg

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I think it looks fine. It would be a matter of taste, but if it were mine, I'd make it just a little brighter/lighter. But it looks good to me as it is.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 1, 2009
    Gary,
    Setting a proper white point will let you take advantage of the full tonal range. Unless you wanted this to be very low key, it looks too dark to me.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I agree about making it a bit brighter. I usually prefer black and whites with more contrast.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    I believe it's in need of more contrast.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    it's very gray to me...maybe post the original so we can see what you're working with? It may just be that it's not the right shot for b&w.
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Bump the contrast. Maybe warm it up just a bit.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Gary,
    Setting a proper white point will let you take advantage of the full tonal range. Unless you wanted this to be very low key, it looks too dark to me.

+2
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    This tutorial by Martin Evening might help, toward the end he talks about how he does B&W Conversion in LR.

http://lightroom-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/lrn-whitebalance.mov
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    This tutorial by Martin Evening might help, toward the end he talks about how he does B&W Conversion in LR.

http://lightroom-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/lrn-whitebalance.mov

Thanks for the link Brad, and all the comments from everyone else. I reset the white balance, and made a few other adjustments, like darken the background a little bit. Here is the new version of the B/W. Does it still look too dark? I found that if I lighten it up any more than what I have, that the kitten starts to get blown out. Anyway, let me know what you think of this one.

GaryB

729806429_eqtdQ-L.jpg
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    I think this version looks very good!clap.gif Seems to be bright enough now and has a nice variation of WB and grey tones.
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Thanks for the link Brad, and all the comments from everyone else. I reset the white balance, and made a few other adjustments, like darken the background a little bit. Here is the new version of the B/W. Does it still look too dark? I found that if I lighten it up any more than what I have, that the kitten starts to get blown out. Anyway, let me know what you think of this one.

GaryB

729806429_eqtdQ-L.jpg
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    It looks a tad faded to me; I'd adjust the curves on the darks downward by a little bit, or the shadows by a little bit, to give it more contrast.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    I think this version looks very good!clap.gif Seems to be bright enough now and has a nice variation of WB and grey tones.

Thanks Kidsmom for the comment! At least now I know I'm headed in the right direction.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    It looks a tad faded to me; I'd adjust the curves on the darks downward by a little bit, or the shadows by a little bit, to give it more contrast.

Thanks for the tip/advise Marikris. When I get a chance I will give it a try and see if I can get more contrast in this photo. I'm new to B/W processing, so I know I have a lot to learn.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    It's commin'!
    Close, very close... mwink.gif