Options

Table Shots & Extra Requests

fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Weddings
I just got in the order for my October wedding (I only do 1 per month). They had requested table shots & several of those "hey- grab a picture of me & so-n-so". I took them, but never expected anything to come of them. They actually ordered EVERY single table shot and most of the "hey grab this shot" ones! It was all part of their print credit, but I was excited! And this is actually the 2nd wedding this year to order the requested table shots!

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    thumb.gif I always take them. As much as it sucks having to go from table to table (I do couples shots / table shots only if there are WAY too many tables..), which takes a looong time depending on the size of the wedding, I think the couple and all the guests are happy to see them after the wedding ... deal.gif
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    fcorin13 wrote:
    I just got in the order for my October wedding (I only do 1 per month). They had requested table shots & several of those "hey- grab a picture of me & so-n-so". I took them, but never expected anything to come of them. They actually ordered EVERY single table shot and most of the "hey grab this shot" ones! It was all part of their print credit, but I was excited! And this is actually the 2nd wedding this year to order the requested table shots!

that is crazy. I thought those prints never sold ever! I never do table shots unless the client is very specific about it. I shoot people at their tables conversing and laughing and when the important players are there interacting with them, but don't do posed table shots unless someone is adamant about it. When people ask, I show them some of the candids I would miss if I was tracking down people from each table and posing them. So far all of my clients always want the candids. I do get people wanting the "hey grab this shot" random poses though. I invite people to ask for those on the spot if they want them.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    The ones that always amaze me are the grandmothers. I had one grandmother this summer do the "hey take this shot" about 50 times (fairly annoying) and then made up for it by buying prints of every single one of them... ugly backgrounds and everything. For me, it is the grandmothers that buy the strange prints like crazy.

I only do candids, much like mmatt. Angie, do you have your second do the table shots? Or do you do them?
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    I only do candids, much like mmatt. Angie, do you have your second do the table shots? Or do you do them?

No, we usually split the room, like this we get done faster and can get to the candids as fast as possible (sometimes we have a little competition going, haha) thumb.gif I really don't like the table shots, as by that time I've had my share of posed pics for the day ... But I think people really like them, especially the couply ones, as sometimes they won't know everybody at the table ... It always scares me to see, that some people get 8x10 prints of those shots, but hey ... I won't complain thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    I just met with the father of the wedding from my oy vey Jewish wedding thread a couple hours ago and this came up. He was talking with the mother of my last Bat Mitzvah girl. Table shots came up and he was explaining to me how they deceided that "That's not Matt's style! He doesn't want boring old table shots, he wants real shots of people enjoying the night. He takes table shots just not by moving the centerpiece and making people stand up." I was cracking up. He was very skeptical of my contemporary PJ-ish style when they hired me and it was his wife that understood what I was about and told him to write the check. He couldn't understand why I didn't have any "regular" pictures in my portfolio and was shocked when I said I don't take many and they don't mean anything to me when I do.

So, even the old school thinkers can get on the band wagon!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    I just met with the father of the wedding from my oy vey Jewish wedding thread a couple hours ago and this came up. He was talking with the mother of my last Bat Mitzvah girl. Table shots came up and he was explaining to me how they deceided that "That's not Matt's style! He doesn't want boring old table shots, he wants real shots of people enjoying the night. He takes table shots just not by moving the centerpiece and making people stand up." I was cracking up. He was very skeptical of my contemporary PJ-ish style when they hired me and it was his wife that understood what I was about and told him to write the check. He couldn't understand why I didn't have any "regular" pictures in my portfolio and was shocked when I said I don't take many and they don't mean anything to me when I do.

So, even the old school thinkers can get on the band wagon!

Matt

beautiful photos are one thing, making people happy is another. Sometimes they overlap and sometimes they don't. You can knock out table shots in <2 min per table I think. If you are solo shooting and it is smallish wedidng then it's so fast and easy. If you have a 2nd shooter..delegate! Beside just making the grandma or others folks happy it also provides the bride and groom documentation as to who was at their wedding...which they may not care about RIGHT now but way down the road might be of interest.

"Oh look at aunt wilma back then"

"Oh this is a nice shot of your uncle before he passed away."

etc
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    For some folks being dressed up and together and in front of a camera is special enough that they may even consider using that shot on Christmas Cards.....just sayin' mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    beautiful photos are one thing, making people happy is another. Sometimes they overlap and sometimes they don't. You can knock out table shots in <2 min per table I think. If you are solo shooting and it is smallish wedidng then it's so fast and easy. If you have a 2nd shooter..delegate! Beside just making the grandma or others folks happy it also provides the bride and groom documentation as to who was at their wedding...which they may not care about RIGHT now but way down the road might be of interest.

"Oh look at aunt wilma back then"

"Oh this is a nice shot of your uncle before he passed away."

etc

The time consuming part is getting everyone back to the tables. If there was a situation where all tables had everyone present and nobody was eating yet, then yes it would be fast and easy, but that rarely happens in my experience. I am often rushing into the hall from formals with barely enough time to set up get the detail shots I need before the wedding party is announced. People hire me primarily for my candid work and they would rather I catch people that way. Do I get everyone? Nope, but the shots I get tell more about the guests than a clump of people behind a table. Getting family groups together happens mostly at the formals session.

I'm not saying what I do is right for everyone but it works for my clients and I.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Interesting.
    I never take any table shots. I used to but I got tired of the, If looks could kill, looks I got when I approached the tables to get a picture. And then the couples were never interested in them.
    I figure all the people with their pocket cameras and phones get all the table shots anyone could ever want..
    I use that time to take pictures of the rings.
    No client has ever asked for them and I don't provide them.
    Of course if they asked me to I would take them.