Options

Copyright Info...

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Where is it?

So in LR2 I put all my copyright info into the files. Where can I see all this information when I actually open the file? I exported my RAW files to JPEGs and am opening them with Preview.

Anyone know where to find this info?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Where is it?
    Where can I see all this information when I actually open the file?
    Opening in what application? Lightroom?
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    Thanks.
    Just checking - original message was a bit confusing.

In preview will not get you anything other than the image. Unless someone knows of some tweak to that app that I am not aware of.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Just checking - original message was a bit confusing.

In preview will not get you anything other than the image. Unless someone knows of some tweak to that app that I am not aware of.

Gotchya.

So when a customer brings the disk with the images on it to a printer, and a printer opens up the files to print them. Whatever program they are using to open the photos they will be able to read the copyright information?
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    Gotchya.

So when a customer brings the disk with the images on it to a printer, and a printer opens up the files to print them. Whatever program they are using to open the photos they will be able to read the copyright information?
    Depends on the software I guess - not sure if any program out there "reads" it to prompt the potential printer company that the image is copyright-tagged. That would depend on the individual company's software and capability. If I get what you are driving at - embedded copyright is not an effective deterrent. It's there if someone wanted to check. It can also be easily stripped out.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    I believe that since it is the exif metadata...it is a security measure so in case of litigation you can say it is here with the original file and the copyright on there is a copy riht on the disk and also I put a text file as the first file on my disks and the images are actually in a file folder wtih a 2nd copy of the copyright......
    Ofcourse if ligitation happens the offender will have a disk they made and say it is the one you supplied them and you produce a photo of it to show the Judge how you actually made the original disk and they are found guilty of infringement and of course you will also supply the Judge a copy of the copyright info showing it was actually registerd withthe US copyright office....yadda...yadda...yadda.................

I have never went looking to see the copyright info I input in lightroom or from my D300 that actually allows copyright and contact info to be put into the metadata..........I just trust it is there.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Yeah = true that.

But sounds like Bryce was more concerned with someone showing up at their local printer store and if that store (their software/printers/people/etc.) would actually look for (and hopefully inquire about) the embedded copyright.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Yeah = true that.

But sounds like Bryce was more concerned with someone showing up at their local printer store and if that store (their software/printers/people/etc.) would actually look for (and hopefully inquire about) the embedded copyright.

Exactly.

I am putting my copyright info on the front of the disk, first file when you open the disk with a folder labeled wedding, then another copy of it in that folder with another folder labeled photos. then inside that folder, two more copies of the copyright info at the beginning of all the photos and at the end.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Yeah = true that.

I will not rely on them to do that......hence the reason why I do it the way I do.....no excuses if it is out in the open in clear view..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Any place that does instant or 1 hour printing , like Wal-Mart, can not view the metadata embeded in the photo. Also, if you are adding a copyright notice or copyright release as a file on your disk(s), save it as a JPG as well as a text file. If they forget to print the text file at home, they can print the JPG file when they print the photos. You'd be surpised how many people forget to either print their copyright release at home or bring the printed one they were given when they picked up their disk(s). I would format the JPG copyright release to be printed as a 4x6 as well.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Any place that does instant or 1 hour printing , like Wal-Mart, can not view the metadata embeded in the photo. Also, if you are adding a copyright notice or copyright release as a file on your disk(s), save it as a JPG as well as a text file. If they forget to print the text file at home, they can print the JPG file when they print the photos. You'd be surpised how many people forget to either print their copyright release at home or bring the printed one they were given when they picked up their disk(s). I would format the JPG copyright release to be printed as a 4x6 as well.

GaryB

That is a very good idea. Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:

Actually, Apple Preview does let you see the info, but you have to dig. Open your image in Preview. Do a Tools > Inspector (command-I). Click the middle More Info tab in the Inspector. Click the IPTC tab. The "Copyright Notice" info is right there.

There is a lot of metadata (keywords, location, etc) visible in the Finder if you do a Get Info and flip down More Info, but it doesn't look like Copyright is one of the pieces of data shown, unfortunately.
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have never went looking to see the copyright info I input in lightroom or from my D300 that actually allows copyright and contact info to be put into the metadata..........I just trust it is there.................

It's a good idea to find out how your various apps display the metadata so you can do a quick verify on the images you are sending places, to know what your recipients are getting. Not just to see if you are sending out info you want them to see, but also so you can see if you are sending out info you don't want them to see (private keywords, location data, etc, some photographers don't even want camera, exposure, and lens data going out). I know where to inspect this info in Preview, the Finder, Bridge, Lightroom, etc. for a quick check.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Actually, Apple Preview does let you see the info, but you have to dig. Open your image in Preview. Do a Tools > Inspector (command-I). Click the middle More Info tab in the Inspector. Click the IPTC tab. The "Copyright Notice" info is right there.

There is a lot of metadata (keywords, location, etc) visible in the Finder if you do a Get Info and flip down More Info, but it doesn't look like Copyright is one of the pieces of data shown, unfortunately.

It's a good idea to find out how your various apps display the metadata so you can do a quick verify on the images you are sending places, to know what your recipients are getting. Not just to see if you are sending out info you want them to see, but also so you can see if you are sending out info you don't want them to see (private keywords, location data, etc, some photographers don't even want camera, exposure, and lens data going out). I know where to inspect this info in Preview, the Finder, Bridge, Lightroom, etc. for a quick check.

I've checked out that part of Preview before, not exactly what I'm looking for. Yes it does say the copy right that I put in there, but not the (as LR2 spells it out) "Rights Usage Terms" portion.