Options

Wanna Go Shoot Stuff in Texas?

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited December 4, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
Hey y'all! :D A few of you may know that I'm Texas bred (if not born), but you may not be aware that I sneak back into the grand state every year 'round Christmas time. Part of the problem being from a place and seeing it often is you rarely go out and shoot it. I still regret not shooting South Congress in Austin before some stupid mandate made the shops start taking down their awesome, artistic signs. :cry

Anywho, I park myself in New Braunfels for a spell every year. This year from 12/21 to 12/29. Now, the day I land is reserved for a ritual visit to my old haunts in Austin with family, but after that, I'm free to wander where I will. So if anyone in the San Antonio or Austin (or New Braunfels!) area might have a hankerin' to shoot with me one day, drop me a line and let me know.

I've been fixin' to do this for a while now. 'Bout dang time I did. :D

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Hey y'all! :D A few of you may know that I'm Texas bred (if not born), but you may not be aware that I sneak back into the grand state every year 'round Christmas time. Part of the problem being from a place and seeing it often is you rarely go out and shoot it. I still regret not shooting South Congress in Austin before some stupid mandate made the shops start taking down their awesome, artistic signs. :cry

Anywho, I park myself in New Braunfels for a spell every year. This year from 12/21 to 12/29. Now, the day I land is reserved for a ritual visit to my old haunts in Austin with family, but after that, I'm free to wander where I will. So if anyone in the San Antonio or Austin (or New Braunfels!) area might have a hankerin' to shoot with me one day, drop me a line and let me know.

I've been fixin' to do this for a while now. 'Bout dang time I did. :D

Dang it!
    I'm going end of 02/10--Dallas, right down the road from Austin. I myself bred but not born in TX. Part of the reason why I vacillate between ya'll and you guys so often.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    If yer willin' to take some lesser folk along, I'd love to! I live in Austin. Usually my company is shut down between 25th and 1st. What are the subject of your usual prowls? I've never done this sort of thing....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    I'm in Austin, I'm in Austin, I'm in Austin!!!

Caroline
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    "Lesser folk?" WTH? lol3.gif

My old haunts are very limited; almost all are at Sixth and Lamar: Book People, Waterloo, and then the Whole Foods because my mother insists. But before all that is the obligatory lunch at Magnolia Cafe on SoCo. :eat There also used to be a great little Celtic store just down Lamar from there, but it vanished a while ago. :cry

But yeah! I'll PM you two my deets so we can keep in touch and see if there's a day that'll work for everyone while I'm there. :D
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    I'm in San Antonio and would love to meet up with you. I am free pretty much anytime. The Riverwalk is fun to shoot at Christmas, esp in the evenings. I think I'd written you in an earlier thread about the new sections of the Riverwalk, so you ought to come down to see them. I'm always finding interesting urban subjects around the city too, and of course there are the missions and the Botanical Gardens and the Japanese Tea Gardens. I have not done any shooting in Austin, so that would be a welcomed opportunity for me if you prefer to stay "up north."

Hey Andrew--we still need to get together for a shoot, here or in Austin. What d'ya say?

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    I'd love to, but it will be December until I have a free weekend. Some friends wanted to go to the Renaissance Festival, and I was surprised how all of November has stuff going on already (anniversary, hosting a new-member gig for our synagogue, playing Mr. Mom while wife is at conference, Thanksgiving, whoops, it's December....). Thanksgiving weekend is a possibility, or some Sunday in December.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Yes, you had told me about the new Riverwalk sections, Lauren. :D Makes no nevermind to me since I'm equidistant between the two cities. I'll forward you my contact info, too, to help with coordination. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Great, Kerry--I'll reply with my info. I'll look forward to it!

Andrew, no hurry. We can try in early Dec or wait 'til Kerry comes down and see about getting a DGrin meetup organized.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Oh dang it, I live in Houston lol. You guys have fun!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Oh dang it, I live in Houston lol. You guys have fun!

That's only three hours away, c'mon! lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    That's only three hours away, c'mon! lol3.gif

Spoken like a true Texan!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Having grown up in the northeast, a 3 hour drive can constitute crossing a couple of states....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Ha, yeah lol. If only my husband would drive, I'm a first rate passenger/navigator!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Having grown up in the northeast, a 3 hour drive can constitute crossing a couple of states....

Yeah, that was such a weird thing for me to experience when I moved out to Virginia. And so many people here in NoVa balk at the one-hour drive to Baltimore, it baffled me for a while. But then I got used to the traffic and understood a little more. :D Certainly not like my long, Texas drives on empty back roads that I loved so much.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ha, yeah lol. If only my husband would drive, I'm a first rate passenger/navigator!

No navigation necessary! Hop on I-10 west and stay on it for three hours. mwink.gif

You know we're just teasing. I won't have any shooting time unless it's late evening, but I will be in Galveston for business at the beginning of February. thumb.gif
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    My old haunts are very limited; almost all are at Sixth and Lamar: Book People, Waterloo, and then the Whole Foods because my mother insists.

Well, if it's been awhile since you've been back, 6th and Lamar has changed quite a bit. Waterloo Ice House is no longer there. In it's place is a new eatery not yet finished. Amy's is still there. :D

The whole South Congress stretch is still fairly nice, especially at night. Amys is there as well as is the Continental Club. Too bad you won't make it for "First Thursday". That place jumps on the first Thursday of each month. Here's a few to get you thinking about it.

20091105_1st_Thurs039.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs047.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs054.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs070.jpg

20091105_1st_Thurs078.jpg

• Options
    tpodonnetpodonne Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I'd be interested. If it's during the Christmas break
    and I'm in town I'll be there.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    This is great! Let's really work to get an "official" meetup planned for somewhere in Austin or San Antonio during the Christmas break!!

Maybe everyone could post their available dates and times and where they'd prefer to shoot? I'll try to start a new thread for it later today, unless someone beats me to it.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    tpodonnetpodonne Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    This is great! Let's really work to get an "official" meetup planned for somewhere in Austin or San Antonio during the Christmas break!!

Maybe everyone could post their available dates and times and where they'd prefer to shoot? I'll try to start a new thread for it later today, unless someone beats me to it.

Lauren
    Has anyone started a new thread on this yet. Just didn't want to fall through the cracks.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    M38A1 wrote:
    Well, if it's been awhile since you've been back, 6th and Lamar has changed quite a bit. Waterloo Ice House is no longer there. In it's place is a new eatery not yet finished.

:cry
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Ohhh, I'm so jealous! I'm another displaced Texan living in NoVA, and would so love to go back to shoot there. Especially in Hill Country. Y'all have fun!!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Okay, this has exploded into something way bigger than I had in mind, and my naturally introverted self is struggling to deal. Never underestimate Texan hospitality—or enthusiasm! mwink.gif

Given my treks to Austin are annual only, I may not be the best "in-the-know" person to set up a good walkabout. As we've read, some of the stuff I love has already changed since last year—or no longer exists. So I'm open to suggestions. Toss your wishlist shoot spots into this thread and we'll see if we can't cobble together a loose agenda for one day so folks can come and go as they please.

I figure meeting at the capitol would be the best bet, then branching out to photograph the kitschy landmarks that make the city so special—like Leslie. Please tell me Leslie is still there, at least!

Start suggestin'! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Leslie is around. He allegedly got beat up by some people to telling them to keep away from drugs back in October. He almost died, but was relased from rehab just before Halloween.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    The Capital is always good for interior/exterior shots.

Walk down Congress Ave and look at the details of the old buildings. Lot's of little things here and there to shoot.

Make it down to 6th Street and there's tons of street scenes, neon, old buildings, people.

At the river bridge there's good shots looking North back at the Capital or on the South side of the bridge nice shots of downtown all lit up. (BTW, you're now 1 mile South of the Capital)

Walk back to the Capital and drive back South to SOCO area, or just make the walk another 1/2-3/4 mile South. There's the Continental Club, a slew of the latest polished Airstream trailer eateries, Guero's, and a couple dozen stores/eateries and such for that 'funky' Austin flair.

As an alternative to the downtown thing, you could take a scenic hill country drive out through SW Austin and then down to Wimberley and Blanco and wind up in Luckenbach. From there 11 miles over to Fredericksburg and back to Austin about 70 miles. That would give you hill country photo opportunities to include landscapes, rivers, creeks, waterfalls, potential wildlife (deer, bison at LBJ's ranch), historic types of shots in Wimberley or coffee on the square, the old county courthouse in Blanco, and quirkie Luckenbach - home of Willie, Waylon and the Boys. Fredericksburg provides an opportunity for an old German town that's probably decorated to the nines this time of year and the Brewery for lunch/dinner/beer stop. Coming back via Johnson City, another quaint Texas town the courthouse is lit up very nice this time of year.

Just some ideas.....
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Ha--maybe I'm not too out of touch! The Capitol > 6th St. > SoCo route was what I originally had in mind.

I personally want to shoot the city, as it's something I never do, or tromp around downtown New Braunfels or Gruene for the quaint German town feel. Mainly because my home base is New Braunfels and I have never shot the square (that's a circle), or the bakery I love, or the haunted hotel, or anything in Gruene. :D Which, typing it out, goes to show how lazy a photographer I can be. Yeesh!

...actually, if there's any interest at all, I could see about finding a model. If I went that route, I'd like to keep the location more condensed and make connections with shop owners to see if we could shoot inside.

So for anyone who's set on shooting with me (you crazy people, you), any preference: street shooting in downtown Austin, or model shoot in quaint, kitschy town?
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    No real preference since I've never done anything like a photowalk or group thing (other than one class).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site