Options

which body/lens combo for portrait?

Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
edited December 4, 2009 in Technique
I will be shooting a team's individual photos and they/we want to do full length body shots. I can use my 1DMKIII with a 50mm lens or my Xsi with the 18-55mm kit lens. I want to use the mkiii, but to do full length with a 50mm lens, will I need to put too much distance between me and the subjects? I want to frame with enough room to crop for a 8x10 print. I tried to obtain a 30mm lens, but one was not available on short notice. Thanks for any advice for a new portrait shooter here...

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    The Rebel with the 18-55mm lens will allow you to get a full-body shot (I assume by full-body you mean standing) at a closer distance than the 1D3 with a 50mm prime, but the closer you are, the more perspective distortion you will see in the figure. Ideally a full-body portrait should be taken from a distance of 15 feet or more. At that distance, a 1D3 with a 50mm lens (equivalent to 65mm on FF) should be able to frame a standing figure the way you want to.

So I think either camera with the lenses you have available should be able to do the job unless you are forced to work at significantly closer distances than I would recommend for this sort of work.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 30, 2009
    How about your 70-200 or your 50-150 zooms? One of these should work quite nicely for full length portraits with a 1DMkIII
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    How about your 70-200 or your 50-150 zooms? One of these should work quite nicely for full length portraits with a 1DMkIII

(slaps forehead) Good point. I didn't pay any attention at all to his sig, which lists a number of useful lenses. The EF 100mm f/2 is another good option.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    When dealing with portraits you really don't want to use anything shorter than 50mm, unless you ready to deal with facial and barrel distortions. So I guess a need to put some distance between your and a group is kinda unavoidable.
    Unless... you want to use the "panoramic technique" as shown here
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=149904
    which allows you to capture an unlimited size groups withough stepping back a couple of miles first....
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Thanks for the input here. I had originally wanted to use one of the 70-200s after hearing and seeing all the results and good things people say about using them. Since this is my first session like this (portraits for teams) I didn't want to be 40ft away (just pulling a number out of the air...) if I didn't need to be. Just taking my lumps with stupid questions here, thanks to everyone who helps me out and here. I am going to take the 70-200 and the 50mm. Once again, thanks to everyone...
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    I'd suggest the 50mm for full length and the 70-200 at 135mm+ for the tighter shots. Good luck!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    personally I would just use the 70-200.....i have several many many many team photos with a 70-210 and a vivitar, 285HV flash & handheld flash meter.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SharkShark Registered Users Posts: 282 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    What is "perspective distortion"?
    "12 significant photographs in any one year is a good crop".
    Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Well, I ended up using the 50mm and thinking back, I would have chosen the 70-200mm if I could go back. Lucky for me, I am going to do more for this team in Jan. so I will use the 70-200 at that time. Learned a ton just on that one session, but still only scratched the surface.