AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

Comments

• ejdaliseejdalise Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Were you using as-owner or as-guest? As-owner should always work.

Going in as guest.

From the questions I'm almost tempted to postulate the program is not working the same for me as it is for others, but I rather suspect people have not tried downloading an album of theirs as guest. Or, for that matter, to play with the settings in an attempt to keep AlbumFetcher from grabbing the files.

The only way I have found to keep the program from downloading the pictures in an album is to have it password protected.

I would be very much like to know if my experience is unique.

Again, I am not complaining, and I like the program, but I am wondering about anyone who is trying to sell digital versions of their work. At first glance it appears a knowledgeable buyer could circumvent the process and just grab the pictures they want.

I have not played with the Digital Download settings. Perhaps turning off the option to buy a digital copy closes the loophole. I'll keep playing with the various option and report if I find out anything different.

ejd
  • breravinbreravin Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2009
    Date taken?
    First off, thanks for this app, it's been quite helpful

Second, is there no way to maintain the "Date Taken" metadata when downloading? I'm cleaning up a lot of old iPhoto galleries, some of which are 10 years old. Smugmug obviously keeps track of the Date Taken, but when I download those pictures again (in smaller sizes like L and XL), they no longer have any of the metadata.

Am I just out of luck?
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    breravin wrote:
    First off, thanks for this app, it's been quite helpful

Second, is there no way to maintain the "Date Taken" metadata when downloading? I'm cleaning up a lot of old iPhoto galleries, some of which are 10 years old. Smugmug obviously keeps track of the Date Taken, but when I download those pictures again (in smaller sizes like L and XL), they no longer have any of the metadata.

Am I just out of luck?

Yes, I believe SmugMug discards the majority of metadata for non-original sizes.
  • breravinbreravin Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Yes, I believe SmugMug discards the majority of metadata for non-original sizes.

shoot. well, thanks for the response.
    edited December 7, 2009
    Drop.io had maxed out on links. I re-uploaded the files, so anyone whose had trouble recently should be able to download now.:D
  • gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Hi,

Works great, but I have one very basic question -- is it possible to make the Original downloads maintain their original file names? Right now, they come in with with extra chars in the filename.

Also, is it possible to make the videos download the originals as well? I see the 1280 option, but not originals.

So cool... Thanks ;-)
    edited December 9, 2009
    gillat wrote:
    Hi,

Works great, but I have one very basic question -- is it possible to make the Original downloads maintain their original file names? Right now, they come in with with extra chars in the filename.

Also, is it possible to make the videos download the originals as well? I see the 1280 option, but not originals.

So cool... Thanks ;-)

Good questions.

Original DLs have the original filename if DLed as owner. If DLed as guest, they get the SmugMug name. (At least I think this is so. It's been a while since I've DLed anything with my own app, so tell me if I'm wrong... :D)

SmugMug doesn't store your original videos, so the options listed are all you get.
  • gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Hi Greg,

How are you?
    Original DLs have the original filename if DLed as owner. If DLed as guest, they get the SmugMug name. (At least I think this is so. It's been a while since I've DLed anything with my own app, so tell me if I'm wrong... :D)

I was signed-in, but still got the long strange names in the original file names.
    SmugMug doesn't store your original videos, so the options listed are all you get.

Well that sucks. I had no idea. I've been erasing my videos after uploading. Oh well. Now I know...
  • AtheanaAtheana Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Excellent app Greg, check your paypal account and have a drink on me iloveyou.gif
  • clennyclenny Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Zero count?
    I am testing out the login as guest feature on my account and for some of the albums it is listing "zero" for the photo count. As far as I know these albums have the exact same properties/settings as other albums that I've tested and have worked.

I'm also having the same problem as another user that posted here about a year ago. When using the 'guest' feature I get:

"Error in fetching image data. Download aborted."

When logged in as owner I have no problems though. The albums that don't work are password-protected. But there are some password-protected galleries that work fine.

Here is the log:

Start REST transaction.
    Download failed on file https://*****&Password=******&AlbumKey=*****. Received Internet Exception: The operation timed out
    12/23/2009 3:16:59 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    12/23/2009 3:16:59 AM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    12/23/2009 3:16:59 AM: Image info array construction failed. Download aborted.
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    I tried multiple times to get this to work on my Vista machine. Regardless if I attempt to login as the owner or user, I receive the message. "Login in for user fmkjr failed."

It works fine on my XP machine.

thanks!
    frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • janniklindquistjanniklindquist Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    I am sorry to report that the AlbumFetch-tool does not write keywords correctly to the image-file. Keywords added in SmugMug are saved as one long keyword with the original keywords separated by semi-colons.
  • lifenlibertylifenliberty Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2010
    AlbumFetcher Will NOT download certian albums
    I have been attempting to get AlbumFetcher to download several password protected albums from smugmug; some of them will download just fine, however, others will not. The album galleries that will not download all say "Requesting image data..." then bomb out stating there was an error and that the download was aborted. However, if I remove the password the galleries will download without an issue.

What gives?

I have also tried "RapidFetcher" as well and that only downloads one photo at a time. Ouch, nothing RAPID about that! <Update I discovered that if RapidFetcher is loaded to a sub folder, like my pictures, it will only ftp one file at a time. However, if the desktop is selected as the destination directory, all of the files will download just fine.

(Using Windows 7 Professional on a 64 bit and 32 bit machines... Firefox browser... of course)

Thanks for you help!
  • D770P880LX3D770P880LX3 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2010
    I can not get Albumfetcher to work at all. It just says "login failed"

I last used it about a month ago... I have it installed on a low power pc that I use as a digital picture frame.
    edited January 21, 2010

I last used it about a month ago... I have it installed on a low power pc that I use as a digital picture frame.

Any ideas?
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    I can not get Albumfetcher to work at all. It just says "login failed" Any ideas?
    I ran across this when trying to run it on XP Embedded machines. Something tells me it has to do with not being able to access the OS in some way, but that's a pretty wild guess. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited January 23, 2010
    gillat wrote:
    I was signed-in, but still got the long strange names in the original file names.
    I've gotten this too on one of my machines. On another, it works as its supposed to. ne_nau.gif
    edited January 23, 2010
    I ran across this on two of my machines that run XP Embedded. Two other regular XP machines ran it fine. ne_nau.gif
    edited January 23, 2010
    I have a question on how the skipping feature works. Does it check the existing files as it builds the queue to download or does it check on the fly after the file is in queue? headscratch.gif

The reason I ask is that I have 37,100 files in my current queue and I have three Internet connections. It's only using one of the connections, which is no surprise, but I'd like to run the same instance on another system on the network and then both download, not overwriting each others' files or overlapping downloading effort. Possible? Oh, and I want to add a feature request to allow multi-threaded downloading. :D
    edited January 23, 2010
    SamirD wrote:
    I ran across this when trying to run it on XP Embedded machines. Something tells me it has to do with not being able to access the OS in some way, but that's a pretty wild guess. ne_nau.gif

I'm running it on a Win2k.
    edited January 23, 2010
    SamirD wrote:
    I have a question on how the skipping feature works. Does it check the existing files as it builds the queue to download or does it check on the fly after the file is in queue? headscratch.gif
    I think I may have found the answer to this. It seems like it checks the files on the fly after it builds the queue. Theoretically, you should be able to run mutliple AF downloads of the same images and the different copies won't waste time downloading the same images.

So now another question--anyone have experience running multiple instances of AF on the same computer?
    edited January 23, 2010
    I'm running it on a Win2k.
    Have you tried it on different installs of win2k? Does it behave the same on all?
    edited January 25, 2010
    SamirD wrote:
    I think I may have found the answer to this. It seems like it checks the files on the fly after it builds the queue. Theoretically, you should be able to run mutliple AF downloads of the same images and the different copies won't waste time downloading the same images.

So now another question--anyone have experience running multiple instances of AF on the same computer?
    I'll answer my own questions since no one else has.

Running multiple copies of AF to download the same gallery isn't the best idea as at some point they can get sync'd and just download the same file twice under two different names. (AF will append the SM file name when it encounters a duplicate file name in the same gallery.)

However, running mutliple copies of AF to download from different galleries works very well. I've run up to 6 AF instances from the same exe without problems so far. I plan to try 20+ instances in the next 24hrs. I'm sure the log file looks like a mess, and I really wish there was a 'no log' option as my log file is now 5x larger than the AF exe file.

There are some bugs--sometimes not stopping a download, sometimes failing randomly to get album info and starting the download (possibled related to the Internet connection randomly dropping, which is an issue I'm having right now), always stopping at some point in a large batch (again possibly related to the Internet connection), proving unreliable for large unattended downloads. But overall, a great tool!
    edited January 26, 2010
    SamirD wrote:
    I ran across this on two of my machines that run XP Embedded. Two other regular XP machines ran it fine. ne_nau.gif
    I checked the error log and it says:
    1/26/2010 4:42:01 PM: Download failed on file https://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.login.withPassword&APIKey=gcmpLhfmdqnLIjmn5FyT5ELQcc01VObf... Received Internet Exception: The certificate authority is invalid or incorrect

This doesn't happen on the other XP machines. I'm thinking there's an OS thing going on here, but I don't know where to look. I've searched for the error message on google, but no real luck. Anyone know where I need to look? Or even a direction? Any assistance appreciated.
    edited January 26, 2010
    I'm successfully running 20 instances off the same exe. It's probably the most I can do on that machine, which is an hp dc5750 running xpp.

The ability to run this many instances seems to hinge on the ability of the processor to be able to multitask this many items, and the writing speed limit of the destination storage subsystem and related cpu utilization. While writing a file, AF stops downloading. If there are a lot of files being written (which can happen with 20 simultaneous downloads), the cpu utilization may go to 100%, which will pause download efforts until the files are written. I've run into this bottleneck trying to max out all my cable connections. This pause won't be as bad on SCSI based systems which don't rely on the host cpu for data operations.
    edited January 29, 2010
    I've successfully downloaded over 80gb of my photos from SM over the last few weeks. AF works really well, and does well on resuming broken downloads (which happens).

The best advice I can give for someone doing large-sized mass downloads of their images (like what I'm doing) is to use one instance of AF for each gallery. This is for a couple of reasons.

One, it allows you to quickly, in one click, resume download of a failed gallery. If you select a bunch of galleries and it stops on the last one, you'll either have to reselect just the failed gallery or it will have to go through all the other galleries before resuming. Two, an instance of AF for each gallery maximizes your bandwidth. There is quite a bit of lag time between communicating with SM and the actual download, so more instances will more fully utilize your total bandwidth. Three, doing it this way allows you to just "fire and forget". Set the download before you sleep, and eight hours later, you'll find out exactly which ones need to be clicked to resume downloading--not discovering that your single mass upload stopped after the second gallery.

AF is a fantastic tool. I can't wait for the sorting option in the new version. With thousands of galleries, it can be hard to find the one you want. This program is going to be a part of my new workflow. thumb.gif
    edited January 31, 2010
    One bug I recently discovered was that AF will abruptly crash if the destination drive has run out of space. I can't believe I filled up 55GB--again...rolleyes1.gif
  • BertoBerto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2010
    AlbumFetcher
    I tried to download AlbumFetcher from the Drop.io site listed below, but get rejected because it has reached its limit of 1000 downloads.

How can I get a copy?

Thanks,
    Albert

Current version: v0.3.6 (July 8, 2009) - Zipped Application | Exe File (if you're afraid of zips) | Source
    (Clicking these links will take you to a drop.io page, where you can click "Download" to get the file.)

... ....

UPDATE, July 8 2009:

I forgot to update one of the version number lines of text in v0.3.5. To keep things straight, I updated everything to v0.3.6, which is now available via the links above.[/quote]
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Hey everyone unfortunately AlbumFetcher is no longer being supported and I've removed the link fro the Wiki page. Try out RapidFetcher instead, it works with Macs, Win or Linux! (Adobe Air app).

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • BertoBerto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2010
    RapidFetcher replaces AlbumFetcher
    Thanks, it works great.
    Amasing this smugmug site. rolleyes1.gif
    Albert
    gluwater wrote:
    Hey everyone unfortunately AlbumFetcher is no longer being supported and I've removed the link fro the Wiki page. Try out RapidFetcher instead, it works with Macs, Win or Linux! (Adobe Air app).

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps