Options

MC #6 - 'Vintage'

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited December 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are a few shots of a bottle of very old Italian Marsalla. First color and then B&W, with different crops for each.

Any of these amuse you guys? Feel free to cry 'lame' :rolleyes

1)

730292495_QgDur-XL.jpg

2)

730291905_eGRGf-XL.jpg

3)

730292184_SWPGs-XL.jpg

4)

730292014_gAAvX-XL.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Like your concept, but feel that the photo looks flat, there is no dimension, also the lens flare on the bottle takes away from the asthetic of the photo.....I personally would try a low light no flash, or even a natural lighting on this. I always think of a sepia tone when thinking vintage or antique...just a thought, and not meaning to offend.

Best wishes

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Tentacion wrote:
    Like your concept, but feel that the photo looks flat, there is no dimension, also the lens flare on the bottle takes away from the asthetic of the photo.....I personally would try a low light no flash, or even a natural lighting on this. I always think of a sepia tone when thinking vintage or antique...just a thought, and not meaning to offend.

Best wishes

Peace,
    Donna P.

I agree with Donna--I like the idea and think you can work with it. I also find the flash distracting, kind of harsh. Maybe work with a little processing, such as sepia or maybe textures.

Good luck to you--I'm having to reshoot myself.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback! You both confirmed what I was thinking. I thought it could be a good concept, but it came out flat, probably because I was holding the secondary lighting along the axis of the bottle. I probably need to go perpendicular to create some shadows across the bottle to get depth that way.

I think the flare is from the room light on the ceiling. I didn't use a flash, but had existing room lighting and hand held a second stronger light off to the side with a diffusion panel in front of it. Thanks for pointing out that you both don't like the flare.

I also have a couple other ideas that could be much more exciting, but they depend on good weather and rounding up some models, so this is my current fallback concept if I can't pull off the other ideas.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    I like the ocncept. The background blanket catches a lot of my attention. It's an interesting texture, but takes me away from the bottle.

I think that upright in a more 'still life' setting might enhance the interest in the bottle.

When are we opening it for a toast? ):

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I like the concept. The background blanket catches a lot of my attention. It's an interesting texture, but takes me away from the bottle.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams