Winner of Mini-Challenge #86

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited December 10, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
It was an honor to be half of the first co-judged Mini-Challenge along with Andrew.

As you know this challenge was about "Preparations". Andrew best summarized it as follows:

"Preparations

Whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ramadan,Passover, Festivus, or any gathering of family and friends, the celebration doesn't happen without preparation. Send in your images that capture the care, the emotion, or the frenzy of preparing for our celebrations. Whether it is getting the table just so, or nearly killing someone for a "Tickle Me Elmo", show us what goes into making the celbration happen."

I enjoyed each and every entry and learned a little about my fellow dgrinners, got to peek into their personal lives a bit. I enjoyed the intimate look.

Now cutting to the chase...

Andrew and I exchanged quite a few emails back and forth and agreed on the following entries.

Honorable Mentions:

Benjer: The working together yet apart while in the same kitchen is a wonderful shot & from an iphone no less!

Moore Driven: Really enjoyed being introduced to your family tradition of putting together puzzles right before the holiday. Sounds like wonderfully relaxing times with the family. Loved the first shot of the women putting the puzzle together.

Swords and Scales: "Christmas in the Sandbox" is a nice capture of a sweet moment. I just thougt it was pretty funny that they decorated the small Christmas tree with pinetree airfreshners:). Glad you captured that moment.

Fourth Place:
Captain78 "Gotta Look Good"--Really loved the intimate moment you captured and shared. These moments are rarely captured. Well done.

Third Place:
Photog4Christ--"Is the End in Sight?"--it really was a close call between this shot and "Waiting to Check Out"--both shots are great captures. You caught a sort of bleak moment, at least that's how I see it. It's not pretty, but it is real and very much part of preparations for the Holidays. :clap

Second Place:
Awais--What can I say Awais?--The look on the goat's face is priceless, I think it's smiling. Does he know he's about to be the guest of honor? and I love that it was a selfportrait. I can't look at your shot and not laugh out loud. You shared something different, funny and educational (for me), I learned a little something about Eid-ul-Azna.:clap

First Place:
Patti--"Kitchen Chair Quaterback". I can almost hear her talking!
I love how you got her in total focus and the two females in the background are out of focus. Just says it all. She may be sitting down, but she is in charge. You caught a great expression on her face, with the over the shoulders look--perfect!

It has been an honor truly. Thank you to all who participated by submitting photographs or by making comments. This has been a rewarding experience.

Now Patti, it's your turn up at bat:D .
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Congratulations to Patti!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif A wonderful moment, and fine series alltogether!

Kudos as well to Awais, Photog4Christ, and Captain78. Each moment was a treasure, and I'm grateful that you shared them with us. thumb.gif

Kudos as well to our HM's: Benjer, MooreDriven and SwordsandScales. The backstories and the captures were wonderful.thumb.gif

Additional thanks to Liz, who was a great co-judge and a joy to work with. :ivar

Looking forward to seeing what Patti cooks up for us now.....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Congrats Patti! :)

And thank you Liz for encouraging me to enter. :D
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Congratulations Patti!

I enjoyed the contest. I'm looking forward to the next one and hopefully improving my rank.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Thanks so very much. To say this is a surprise is an understatement. My Mum will turn 94 on Thursday so this is extra special for me and for her. I won't be home for Christmas with her this year but I know my sister will be receiving her coaching from the kitchen chair as usual and will be scrambling to get the meal on the table piping hot to pass muster with Mum rolleyes1.gif

Keep your eyes scrambled for the theme for Mini Challenge #87.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 8, 2009
    Kudos to Patti...clap.gif

Also a thank you to the judges for my 4th place finish.
    edited December 9, 2009
    Thanks Jeff and congrats to you as well.

Tell me, are you the captain of the "Mayercraft" a la John Mayer??? rolleyes1.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    edited December 9, 2009
    Please join us HERE for Mini-Challenge #87 "CELEBRATE!!"

patti hinton photography
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 9, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Thanks Jeff and congrats to you as well.

Tell me, are you the captain of the "Mayercraft" a la John Mayer??? rolleyes1.gif

Thank You Patti.
    The photo is of my wife getting ready for company on Thanksgiving...and she is part of the story of how I got my nickname "Captain"
    I was at a meeting of our motorcycle club without my wife. I made a decision without talking to her about it....Some of the other ladies kind of gave me the business about leaving my wife out of the loop. At that point, I puffed out my chest and said I was the captain of my ship!
    I quickly learned that I may be the captain, but my wife is the Admiral. Laughing.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Congratulations Patti!!clap.gif Your winning shot captures an experience we all have when the family "team" gets together to get something done, that is how a lot more is revealed of the personalities of our relatives. The best of our memories are made of that.

Liz and Andrew, I reckon you did a wonderful job with challenge #86 with your warmness and appreciativeness to all. It was a great contribution to the Minis being a "people's" challenge, a place where we share our lives in pictures and stories. Congratulations to you both!thumb.gif

Patti, your theme for #87 is continuing in this fine style, with the pics and stories already coming in. Just fantastic!!!iloveyou.gif

Best to all.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix