Options

Another lens help question

LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited December 8, 2009 in Cameras
Hi everyone, first post since joining the forum.

I'm in the process of buying a new D90 and have been really over analyzing which lens will meet my needs. This will be my first SLR, I used to shoot my fathers 35mm when I was a kid (back in the mid 70's) and have some basic understanding of photography. But anyway since then I've owned a few point and shoots and I've gotten pretty good at moving closer to my target rather then using zooms. Love to shoot wide open spaces and am leaning towards the Sigma 10-20mm. But since I'm on a budget of around $1600 right now that would be my only lens for a while. I'm also considering the Nikon 16-85mm VR mainly to have a little bit of flexibility.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm obviously new to photography but am looking at making it a main hobby. Love to take photos!

Thanks
Nikon D90
18-105 mm
85 mm 1.8
10-20 mm
35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 28, 2009
    Ladukebob, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

A superwide zoom, like the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM, is very nice for vista landscapes and some architectural. I like to use it (yes, I have that Sigma zoom) for some interior images to establish a scene for a social event too.

I also use a more standard zoom, and sometimes even a longer prime lens, on a panoramic head to yield multiple images. Once I have the overlapping images, I use stitching software to combine the images into the panorama which will have a much wider FOV than the original images. This is a great technique made possible with digital cameras and the new panoramic software.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Ladukebob wrote:
    Hi everyone, first post since joining the forum.

Welcome! I'm fairly new myself, and have found it a very useful place!
    I'm in the process of buying a new D90 and have been really over analyzing which lens will meet my needs. This will be my first SLR, I used to shoot my fathers 35mm when I was a kid (back in the mid 70's) and have some basic understanding of photography. But anyway since then I've owned a few point and shoots and I've gotten pretty good at moving closer to my target rather then using zooms. Love to shoot wide open spaces and am leaning towards the Sigma 10-20mm. But since I'm on a budget of around $1600 right now that would be my only lens for a while. I'm also considering the Nikon 16-85mm VR mainly to have a little bit of flexibility.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm obviously new to photography but am looking at making it a main hobby. Love to take photos!

Thanks

I love my D90, I think you'll be very happy with it. I think you could set yourself up quite nicely for $1600.

D90 body = $809 (pricing from B&H, most reputable dealers should be very close, plus many of their items have free shipping)
    Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 = $479 (constant f/3.5 is $649, if you feel you need that)
    Nikon 55-200 VR = $225
    Total = $1513

Of course that leaves a gap from 20-55mm. If you can go a little over that budget, adding a 35mm f/1.8 will take you up to a tad over $1700, or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would ring you up to about $1950... The Sigma 10-20 seems to be very popular, even in the variable aperture version (it's on my wishlist), and the 55-200 is quite decent for the money. Naturally it's not on nearly the same level as the pro grade 70-200 f/2.8, but IMO is more than worth the $225.

Of course there are those who would say to save your money until you can afford the best glass, so you only have to buy a particular focal length once, and there's something to that, I suppose. I like to have the ability to go and shoot, though, and I'll save up for the really nice glass as I go.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome!

I've been reading up on the 18-200mm VR, what do you think about this lens as a starter lens? The reviews, Ken Rockwell, I know I know but he rated it very close to the 16-85mm so it's worth a look.
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    I too think you should be able to set yourself up pretty well for $1600 and leaning towards the D90. I own a D90 and bought it as a kit with an 18-105 3.5-5.6 VR lens. I've been reasonably happy with this lens and the autofocus and VR work very well.

This kit is available for $1100 in a few places. I've also purchased a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens for $125 which has been a fantastic addition. As you said, you have gotten used to moving a bit to frame your shot, which you'll have to do with a bit longer prime lens but it's worth it when you see the shots from this lens at its price.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Ladukebob wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome!

I've been reading up on the 18-200mm VR, what do you think about this lens as a starter lens? The reviews, Ken Rockwell, I know I know but he rated it very close to the 16-85mm so it's worth a look.

I've heard many people are happy with the 18-200, although I've never personally used it. Thom Hogan prefers the 16-85 over the 18-200 because he likes the extra 2mm at the wide end more than the extra reach, for what that's worth. Although, if you're going to have the 10-20 to cover the wide angle, you might be happier with the 18-200. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how you want to spend it. At $800, the 18-200 VRII and D90 would eat up your whole budget. The 16-85 is a little less, but at $610, that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else, either.

If it were my money, I'd rather spend money on stuff that is more likely to be "keeper" quality. If you are going into this thinking you'll upgrade your equipment eventually, do you want to spend $800 on a "starter" lens? I'd rather get that Sigma 10-20 and maybe a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, both of which I'd consider to be keepers. I would (and did) spend $200 on the 55-200 VR, because I feel that's a reasonable amount to spend on a "starter" lens, knowing that eventually I'll likely want to upgrade to the 70-200 f/2.8. OTOH, if you simply want a good-if-not-spectacular quality superzoom and don't mind dropping $800 on it, that 18-200 is supposed to be very nice. IMO, that's just a lot of money to spend on something that I'd know I'd probably be replacing at some point anyway.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    gowiththeflowgowiththeflow Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    I've heard many people are happy with the 18-200, although I've never personally used it. Thom Hogan prefers the 16-85 over the 18-200 because he likes the extra 2mm at the wide end more than the extra reach, for what that's worth. Although, if you're going to have the 10-20 to cover the wide angle, you might be happier with the 18-200. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how you want to spend it. At $800, the 18-200 VRII and D90 would eat up your whole budget. The 16-85 is a little less, but at $610, that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else, either.

I've never tried the 18-200mm either, but I prefer both the 18-105mm and 16-85mm over it. Mostly because I find I like the longer reach of the 70-300mm for real telephoto use, and having both of those would be both a bank-breaker and a whole lot of pointless overlap. I like the 16-85mm plenty, but I'm still not sure how 'worth it' the extra ~$300 over the 18-105mm is... it's better all around, has more wide end, better VR, and is even a little smaller, but the 18-105mm is adequate on a budget. And as stated it's probably not wide enough to replace a dedicated UWA lens for much of anyone.

Given the budget, I'd say either go with the 16-85mm, or buy the D90 kit and the Sigma 10-20mm.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    For now I guess the way to go is the D90 kit with the 18-105mm lens and add the Sigma 10-20mm. This keeps me within my budget and allows me to play with the camera until I get a better feel for which upgrade to go for.

I've been getting email notices from WalMart and Best Buy that the D90 kit is on sale but is listed as "Nikon D90 Black" anyone know what the word "black" is referring to?
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    Ladukebob wrote:
    For now I guess the way to go is the D90 kit with the 18-105mm lens and add the Sigma 10-20mm. This keeps me within my budget and allows me to play with the camera until I get a better feel for which upgrade to go for.

I've been getting email notices from WalMart and Best Buy that the D90 kit is on sale but is listed as "Nikon D90 Black" anyone know what the word "black" is referring to?

I believe it's just referring to the color of the camera body. Some bodies in the past (and currently, I think) have been available in multiple colors, like black or silver. All D90s are black, but I guess for some reason they feel the need to specify.

Nothing against WM or BB, but do yourself a favor and check prices at Adorama and B&H, too. The prices they offer should be just about as low as a reputable dealer will offer, plus they have great service and good return policies. You can't go in and return anything in person like with WM or BB, but I think I'd still rather deal with a more specialized photography store. Adorama, at least, often has custom kits available including things like extra batteries, SD cards, maybe even the battery grip, for not much more than the body-only price. Just a word of friendly advice, I have no personal stake in either company. :D
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    I believe it's just referring to the color of the camera body. Some bodies in the past (and currently, I think) have been available in multiple colors, like black or silver. All D90s are black, but I guess for some reason they feel the need to specify.

Nothing against WM or BB, but do yourself a favor and check prices at Adorama and B&H, too. The prices they offer should be just about as low as a reputable dealer will offer, plus they have great service and good return policies. You can't go in and return anything in person like with WM or BB, but I think I'd still rather deal with a more specialized photography store. Adorama, at least, often has custom kits available including things like extra batteries, SD cards, maybe even the battery grip, for not much more than the body-only price. Just a word of friendly advice, I have no personal stake in either company. :D

Thanks for the advice, I have spent a lot of time on Adorama's site as well as B&H and 17th Street Photo and feel Adorama offers the best kit for the money.

I really appreciate the advice from everyone. I'm new and will undoubtedly ask the same questions that have been asked 100 times before. I always try to search out answers first but sometimes it's just easier to just ask. Bare with me folks:D
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Options
    AlbertastromAlbertastrom Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2009
    I've been lurking for some time but this thread is in line with my current situation. I currently use a D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lens. I've had it for 18 months and have been getting good results but time to upgrade to a D90. Most of my shooting is when I travel on my motorcycle. With the D40 I always have to remove my helmet to get a shot, and with the 2 lenses I find I miss shots that need quick attention. I've almost convinced myself that the 18-200 on the D90 is the way to go. Now I think the Sigma 10-20 is on the list too.

I'm hoping to put together a kit that will be compact, flexible, and improve on the D40 kit I have. My entire D40 set up is going to my daughter so I'm starting fresh.

Is the 18-200 a significant upgrade to the kit lenses or is it just a lateral move with convenience being the only improvement? Is the 18-105 a better choice? I have read the reviews but am interested in your experienced opinions.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    I've been lurking for some time but this thread is in line with my current situation. I currently use a D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lens. I've had it for 18 months and have been getting good results but time to upgrade to a D90. Most of my shooting is when I travel on my motorcycle. With the D40 I always have to remove my helmet to get a shot, and with the 2 lenses I find I miss shots that need quick attention. I've almost convinced myself that the 18-200 on the D90 is the way to go. Now I think the Sigma 10-20 is on the list too.

I'm hoping to put together a kit that will be compact, flexible, and improve on the D40 kit I have. My entire D40 set up is going to my daughter so I'm starting fresh.

Is the 18-200 a significant upgrade to the kit lenses or is it just a lateral move with convenience being the only improvement? Is the 18-105 a better choice? I have read the reviews but am interested in your experienced opinions.

Albertastrom, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

How do you intend to use the camera, I mean what specifically do you usually see on the motorcycle trips and what times of the day, etc. The more you can tell us about your applications, the more we can help.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    While on a motorcycle trip I'll shoot everything from wildlife to landscapes to flowers. I like to have people in my shots so there is context but I want to be able to get decent shots of anything I see. If I see a moose I want to be able to quickly capture it. Lovely scenery I'll take more time (next trip a tripod is coming along) but there is always a rider or two with me so I don't like to make them wait. Also very little nighttime or indoor on these trips
    My dad was a pro industrial/commercial film maker and an excellent photographer, I never got the bug till recently. Twenty years ago he gave me a Nikon EM with a couple of lenses including the brilliant 80-200mm F4 which I absolutely loved (bokeh= :D). So I love what can be done with long lenses but have yet to learn how to use a wider lens properly.

I'm not adverse to having multiple lenses but for bike trips one "do all" lens would be nice. I just am worried the $800.00 for a 18-200 will be poorly spent. Maybe the 18-105 has enough zoom, but is the 18-200 a better lens?
    My thinking is that with the D90 I'll have access to more lenses for less $ later than I would with the D40.

The more I think about it and research it the more confused I seem to get
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    I see on Vistek.ca a D90 kit with 18-200 is $1749.00 and the D90 kit with 18-105 & 70-300 is $1739.00.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    ... I'm not adverse to having multiple lenses but for bike trips one "do all" lens would be nice. I just am worried the $800.00 for a 18-200 will be poorly spent. Maybe the 18-105 has enough zoom, but is the 18-200 a better lens?
    My thinking is that with the D90 I'll have access to more lenses for less $ later than I would with the D40.

The more I think about it and research it the more confused I seem to get

Neither the Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED nor the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II are perfect, and the latter is considerably more expensive and somewhat more versatile. The difference between the 105mm and 200mm maximum is nearly twice and the difference in FOV is considerable.

For a pretty good review of both:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/410-nikkor_18105_3556vr

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/242-nikkor-af-s-18-200mm-f35-56-g-if-ed-vr-ii-dx-review--test-report

If image quality and low-light performance are important, and if your budget supports, there are better options but both of the above will yield very nice images to around 5" x 7 and, with the right subject matter and processing, even an 8" x 10".

My own travel kit consists of (Canon crop 1.6x system):

Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM

I find this is extremely flexible as a system, but I can see that for motorcycle trips a single, all-purpose zoom, like the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II would be awfully handy.

I suppose that the best strategy would be to either purchase a used lens, knowing that it is already somewhat depreciated and if you have to re-sell it wouldn't be much of a hit, or rent lenses until you find a match for your needs, and then purchase a copy for yourself.
    ziggy53