Options

Contacted... now what?

aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited December 8, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
So I woke up to this e-mail this morning:

---
Hi Aaron,

Humble TV is looking for photographers to go out and take panoramic photographs for us from several select capitals from around the world. We were wondering if you would be interested in taking the Seoul, Korea Republic and/or Pyongyang, Korea DPR photo.

The project is for the graphics that will appear on ESPN for the World Cup 2010. Ideally we want a professional photographer that has experience with panoramic photography.

If you are interested please let us know your rate including equipment and availability and we will send additional info. Thank you!
---

First, does this sound legit to you guys / gals?
(I left the sender's email and name out of this post.)

Second, I'm in need of some advice in quoting a rate here.
I have no problem taking panos, and I am here in Seoul, so how should I approach this.

Thanks for any time / advice you can lend me!

Comments

• Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    aaronbrown wrote:
    First, does this sound legit to you guys / gals?
    (I left the sender's email and name out of this post.)

Second, I'm in need of some advice in quoting a rate here.
    I have no problem taking panos, and I am here in Seoul, so how should I approach this.

Thanks for any time / advice you can lend me!

So I went ahead and researched this a bit more and the company looks on the up and up. I sent an email back with my interest in the project, my half day rate, but I requested more specifics so I could put together a usage fee / license.

I'm hoping some of you guys / gals can hold my hand a little from here.

Thanks in advance!

- Aaron
  • Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Glort wrote:
    So your in the US and they want you to do shots of Korea?

Would seem a lot cheaper to me to get a local shooter to do it or just buy stock shots which I would think there would be plenty of.

Hope it comes through for you though as it sounds like a nice gig.

I believe Aaron is still located in South Korea?

Congrats on the assigment, Aaron, hope it works out for you!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    WOW that would be incredible to wake up to that email.....oh yeah....

Are we going to be seeing all sorts of day/night HDR panos???? hope too.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    aaronbrown wrote:
    So I went ahead and researched this a bit more and the company looks on the up and up. I sent an email back with my interest in the project, my half day rate, but I requested more specifics so I could put together a usage fee / license.

I'm hoping some of you guys / gals can hold my hand a little from here.

Thanks in advance!

- Aaron

It's legit? Hot dang!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    congrats Aaron! If its for ESPN you'll be sure to make big bucks from that!
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    congrats Aaron! If its for ESPN you'll be sure to make big bucks from that!
    Thanks, all!

I'm talking with them about the specifics still, but I could really use some advice (how would you approach this?) on how to price my usage / license fee. I've asked all the right questions, I hope, and want to respond appropriately -- I don't want to bid too much that I don't get the job, but I don't want to devalue myself or the industry.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    aaronbrown wrote:
    Thanks, all!

I'm talking with them about the specifics still, but I could really use some advice (how would you approach this?) on how to price my usage / license fee. I've asked all the right questions, I hope, and want to respond appropriately -- I don't want to bid too much that I don't get the job, but I don't want to devalue myself or the industry.

I'm not gonna tell you how to make your prices, but I would figure out how they will be using the photographs exactly, and go from there. Like, will there be products? or is it just going to be shown on the TV/website? Then figure out how much revenue they're profiting from those images, and make your prices accordingly.
    Jer