Options

Red Sox vs. Indians - 5/11/2004

pj4533pj4533 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 17, 2004 in Sports
First, I must say I am a beginning photographer. My Nikon D70 is my first "real" camera. But I am having loads of fun. Here is a link to a gallery of images from the baseball game i went to last night:

http://pjgray.smugmug.com/gallery/116072/1/4153105

I didn't post process or crop any of the images. Plus, I was experimenting with many different settings, so I think it is interesting to look at the extended info and see how it changed each picture. Some i used a SB800, some I used the "sports" program mode on the d70, and some were shutter priority. All the action shots were done with a 70-300mm lens.

This is my favorite shot, a David Ortiz HOME RUN!!!!

4153231-S.jpg

So anyway, I would love to hear comments or suggestions on how to improve!

-pj

btw: I was sitting in the first row of the grandstand seats! I love my lens!!!

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2004
    Hiya PJ wave.gif

Welcome aboard. Nice work!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 12, 2004
    Go Sox!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2004
    Hiya, pj wave.gif

You got some nice shots at the game, including some really good action poses. That home run shot is classic!

Can you get an extender for your lens? I know Canon makes 1.4x and a 2.0x extenders. Dunno about Nikon. ne_nau.gif The reason I ask is because in the sports shots you see in magazines, the player absolutely fills the frame. The other thing they tend to do a lot is have a really narrow depth of field - so the player is isolated against a blurry background. If you're looking to try something different next time, those might be things to experiment with.

(I'm impatiently awaiting my dSLR, I got a 300 lens, I'm gonna get the 1.4x extender, and try my hand at sports shots. Then you can jump all over my efforts!)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hiya, pj wave.gif

(I'm impatiently awaiting my dSLR, I got a 300 lens, I'm gonna get the 1.4x extender, and try my hand at sports shots. Then you can jump all over my efforts!)
    Thread: hijacked!

Whats this? Did you finally throw down? Is there a new thread that I need to go read...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thread: hijacked!

Whats this? Did you finally throw down? Is there a new thread that I need to go read...

Hijack contd: not yet. When a guy I know gets his 1DmkII I'm gonna buy his 1D. And I tell ya, the wait is killing me. Seems like there was a first wave of mkII's, then.... nothing. I was hoping to take the 1D to Alaska with me last week, but it's a good thing I couldn't. I had no room, and little time to shoot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au