Options

1st summer camp out of 3 - MOOSE

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited June 29, 2005 in Wildlife
Well, I made it through my first summer camp. I was in charge of a cabin of high school junior boys. Every night was a battle to get them calm and keep them from pulling pranks on anything that moved.

So, I sit here typing with a pounding headache and a sore throat in the aftermath of 2:00 AM bed times and 6:30AM wake up calls. :cry Good thing my next camp is 3 weeks away. I should be recovered by then.

Anyway, here are some shots I got from the week
Everyone loves the canoeing...
26341512-M.jpg
Mister Moose number 1... I don't know how deep the water was where he was standing... I wasn't going to find out.
26341214-M.jpg
Moose number 2
26341327-M.jpg
As another counselor and I went out in our canoe to get closer to the moose, we fount this beautiful nest... and the mom and dad.
26341359-M.jpg
My cabin boys wanted to mount this little guy up on the cabin wall as a "sportsmans trophy" Good thing this little guy has a bigger brain.
26341879-M.jpg
What good would a post from me be if it didn't have a flower?
26341721-M.jpg
Finally, a shot of some of the students on the last day.
26342254-M.jpg

Over all, it was a wonderful time. Not as bad as I may make it sound. It's great to have a job you love. I am very blessed.

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Hey Johno,

That first moose shot is outstanding. clap.gif I'm glad you are enjoying the job, myself I would rather be back in Vietnam than to do what you are doing. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Geee I never knew.........
    johno wrote:
    Well, I made it through my first summer camp. I was in charge of a cabin of high school junior boys. Every night was a battle to get them calm and keep them from pulling pranks on anything that moved.

So, I sit here typing with a pounding headache and a sore throat in the aftermath of 2:00 AM bed times and 6:30AM wake up calls. :cry Good thing my next camp is 3 weeks away. I should be recovered by then.

Anyway, here are some shots I got from the week
    Everyone loves the canoeing...

Mister Moose number 1... I don't know how deep the water was where he was standing... I wasn't going to find out.

Moose number 2

As another counselor and I went out in our canoe to get closer to the moose, we fount this beautiful nest... and the mom and dad.

My cabin boys wanted to mount this little guy up on the cabin wall as a "sportsmans trophy" Good thing this little guy has a bigger brain.

What good would a post from me be if it didn't have a flower?

Finally, a shot of some of the students on the last day.

Over all, it was a wonderful time. Not as bad as I may make it sound. It's great to have a job you love. I am very blessed.

peace.
    johno~
    Gosh Johno, I never knew Mooses ?? is that right Moose's ?? one of them rolleyes1.gif went into water like that.... how cool is that.......wow even clap.gif
    Golly I would be bouncing off the walls to even see such a thing rolleyes1.gif ohhhh dear, wait till we get to UTAH next year, I will live up to my name SKIPPY, I'll be over the moon about every little thing that I see rolleyes1.gif and you guys will be like.......what the hell is that girl on ???? :lol4 who needs drugs when you get a high out of the beauty of Nature......yeah well sugar does it for me too :lol :lol4 what a wonderful camp to attend, great series of images.
    Thanks for sharing Johno......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Johno,

That first moose shot is outstanding. clap.gif I'm glad you are enjoying the job, myself I would rather be back in Vietnam than to do what you are doing. :D

rolleyes1.gif
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    One thing I know, that last shot, the one of the campers...............they are not boys!

Looks like a great camp, though! Love the moose, the squirrel, so cool where the squirrel lives, the bird's eggs, just wonderful.

Ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Gosh Johno, I never knew Mooses ?? is that right Moose's ?? one of them rolleyes1.gif went into water like that.... how cool is that.......wow even clap.gif Skippy (Australia)

Skippy, as we were taking these shots a guy in a kayak was passing by and he asked if we knew how fast a moose could swim? We said no and told us they swim fast... Fast enough to scare the.... uh... crap out of you.

I can't tell you that my hand was not shaking the entire time after that.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    clap.gif excellent shots

moose come from eggs in a nest? how cool! lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    One thing I know, that last shot, the one of the campers...............they are not boys!

Looks like a great camp, though! Love the moose, the squirrel, so cool where the squirrel lives, the bird's eggs, just wonderful.

Ginger

True, G... Those are students who attend my church. I thought it would be good to have some pics for parents back home.

Here are the band of brothers
    26358964-M.jpg

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Hey Johno - Love that canoe shot. Great B&W conversion - nice and contrasty how I like 'em. Compo works well for me also.

How cool is it to be that close those moose?
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Thanks, Johno, the group of boys, including one who looks shorter, was he one of yours, too.

Looks like all were having fun doing what teenage boys do: have fun!

Was there sneaking out at night and stuff. I know when my daughter went to YMCA camp, there was a lot of stuff going on, not bad stuff, just stuff, stuff. Kind of good old days stuff. She seemed old, she was a counselor of some sort, but she wasn't in senior high yet.

Camp is so great for kids. All of mine went to camp of one sort or another.

I don't think mine were lucky enough to have mooses there, though.

I wonder how fast a moose does swim.

ginger
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Excellent series thumb.gif
    that tight portrait shot is great clap.gif, bet you thought I'd say something about the animals :D

have to 15524779-Ti.gif with Harry about the job though :lol4
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 28, 2005
    I'm with Andy. I never knew a moose came from an egg. That IS just too coo
    for words :D

Great series and the egg shot along with the canoe are my two favorites.

Nice job (and sometimes, you gotta let boys be boys).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Johno, the group of boys, including one who looks shorter, was he one of yours, too.

Looks like all were having fun doing what teenage boys do: have fun!

Was there sneaking out at night and stuff. I know when my daughter went to YMCA camp, there was a lot of stuff going on, not bad stuff, just stuff, stuff. Kind of good old days stuff. She seemed old, she was a counselor of some sort, but she wasn't in senior high yet.

Camp is so great for kids. All of mine went to camp of one sort or another.

I don't think mine were lucky enough to have mooses there, though.

I wonder how fast a moose does swim.

ginger

Ginger, you make me laugh... Of course the small one is my son... Thank the Lord he didn't have to stay in my cabin. He stayed with mom in the camper.

Also, Just so you know, I found this info on moose aquatics.

Moose can swim as fast as two men paddling in a canoe, and run up to 56 km per hour on land.

and... http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/moose.htm

The moose is active in the day, especially at dawn and dusk. It has very poor eyesight but good hearing and an excellent sense of smell. It is a very good swimmer and can swim as fast as six miles an hour in the water. The moose is usually a peaceful animal but can become aggressive when it is threatened.

I was one of two men paddling in the water when we went after our moose... I have to say though, I think two men can paddle faster than 6 mph... When being chased by a wild moose. :D
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hi John - great set. The canoe, moose #1 and the squirrel are my faves. Moose #2 is nice but maybe a little agjustment is in order? (ne_nau.gif )

Hope you recover from the headache and laryngitis quickly :D
  • Options
    FrankFrank Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Wonderful post, Johno!

Your attitude and pictures are both inspirational. :):

- Frank
    .... .- ...- . .- -. .. -.-. . -.. .- -.--
    "Whether you're rich or you're poor, it's nice to have Money!" - Alfred E. Newman
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Thanks everyone. Looks like my plans for staying home and healing have been changed... I am off to Whidbey Island located in the Puget Sound this weekend. Hopfully I will be able to get some nice pics while I'm there.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Johno,

1st and last do it for me - I love the b&w canoe, the symmetry in the composition broken by the paddles. And the girls in the last - just plain fantastic!

Moose hatching from eggs ... doesn't excite me, we have plenty of those all over lol3.gif

Enjoy your weekend!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Johno,

1st and last do it for me - I love the b&w canoe, the symmetry in the composition broken by the paddles. And the girls in the last - just plain fantastic!

Moose hatching from eggs ... doesn't excite me, we have plenty of those all over lol3.gif

Enjoy your weekend!

Thanks Nir...

I guess my comments got lost in translation somewhere... A week at camp can do that.

For the record... The moose did not lay eggs ne_nau.gif we found the nest chasing the moose. Here is a pictures of the bird the eggs belong to.
    26341413-M-2.jpg
    Hope this clears up everything for everyone. thumb.gif

I would like to see everyone here spend a week with high school junior boys and see if you "don't get dumbed down" rolleyes1.gif

OK... Now I feel better. I don't even know what kind of bird this is. So if anyone else knows they can chirp in.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Have a great weekend, Johno! Sounds like a healing location.

ginger