*Entry Thread" Mini Challenge #87 "CELEBRATE!!"

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited December 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #87 of the Dgrin Mini-Challenges.

This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from now, Tuesday December 8th to Sunday December 27th, NOON EST. Sorry for the long period for the challenge. I'm out of the country from next week till after Christmas thus the long period.

Your Judge:
Patti

What this challenge is about:

In keeping with the holiday season and following up on Liz & Andrew's excellent theme of preparation, I've chosen

CELEBRATE!

We've done our preparation so now let's see how people all over the world celebrate the important events in their families, countries or cultures.

So find the memories from past events or shoot something new. Submit your entries to immortalize the events and those with whom you have celebrated whether a national holiday, birthday, championship game or losing those Christmas pounds. :clap :barb :clap :bow :clap With Eid just passed and Christmas, Hannukkah and Kwanza around the corner, there should be plenty of shooting opportunities in addition to trolling the archives for past shots. Soooooooo

GET OUT THERE AND CELEBRATE!!!!
*Guidelines:
  1. The entrant must be the sole photographer of the entry.
  2. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post. You can edit or swap out your entries as often as you like, up to the deadline.
  3. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (eg on your website).
  4. Try to resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
  5. Give each image you enter a title.
  6. Don't be hesitant! Just do it! Be in it and share!
  7. Also, especially non-contestants:
    Feel free to share your thoughts and reactions to the entries which excite you. Enjoy discussion with members about their images. This is not just an entry thread, but a thread open for the participation of anyone who would like to contribute, in a way appropriate to the spirit and purpose of the Mini-Challenges
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Hi Patty,
    This theme is right up my alley! Who doesn't love a good celebration?

"Yankees Ticker Tape Parade 2009"
    Caught this moment when I climbed the scaffolding to get a shot of the crowd and caught all these kids trying to do the same. Love the excitement in their face at the chance of seeing a glimpse of the Yankees. It's my favorite shot of the event.
    705387236_6tYoz-XL.jpg

"Thanksgiving Day"
    After all the turkey was eaten the gluttony continued. This is a shot of a few people at the gathering who were crowded around the dessert table. As you can see, my little girl already hit the chocolate beforehand and is coming down from a sugar high.
    725168189_4EHyh-XL.jpg

"Fun on the Himalaya"
    This shot always makes me laugh--the look on all their faces is priceless. Wish I didn't get motion sickness because it looks like too much fun.
    681939573_rqq9T-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Southern Californians celebrate the New Year with the beautiful Rose Parade in Pasadena. The main ingredients of this wonderful celebration are:

1. The people
    447050927_vxKuC-XL.jpg

2. The floats
    447048200_c6jYC-XL.jpg

3. The animals
    447042690_gcjvj-XL.jpg

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Liz, thanks for jumping right in. The ticker tape parade shot is terrific. I like the gritty B&W treatment. I feel your daughter's pain. Coming down from the sugar is tough. I'm doing that even as I type. Laughing.gif The expression on the boy's face in #3 says it all about the rush of a good fast ride at a midway. clap.gifclap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    edited December 8, 2009
    Cuong, you've done the colour and pagentry of the Rose Bowl Parade justice with these captures. They bring back great memories of my Dad's New Year's Day tradition of watching the parade far away from the event, in Nova Scotia. He bought our first colour TV so he could finally see the parade in all its glory. Thank you for great awakening great memories with your terrific contributions.

patti hinton photography
  • esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    I may switch them out eventually and add a third depending on what happens over the holidays and what I find in my library, but here was what I have so far.

The first picture is from my honeymoon. My wife and I took a cruise to Alaska and then drove cross-country. This picture is from dancing on the cruise in the lobby after the champagne waterfall was completed.

Vacation Celebration
    339097931_9CxuX-L.jpg

From my nephew's first birthday (he is turning 3 next week).

Hello World!
    232714545_pNJSw-M.jpg
    edited December 8, 2009
    For a minute there I was afraid to look at the first photo when I read it was taken on your honeymoon. rolleyes1.gif It looks like the crowd was having a great time celebrating. Your nephew is adorable and now up to three. Those celebrations seem to come around faster and faster as the years go by.

patti hinton photography
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    1. Neighbor's name is Bill. Nickname--"Electric Bill."
    735854285_ua8Dc-L.jpg

2. Santa comes to Nantucket on a Coast Guard cutter.
    732532326_xM4yS-L.jpg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited December 9, 2009
    ghinson, your neighbour Bill knows how to celebrate from the look of his house. Do all those lights keep you awake at night? What was your setup for this one?
    Nice to see Santa gets around. clap.gif

patti hinton photography
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Three starters:
    1. "Can't wait for Dessert" -- Thanksgiving 2009
    736461978_9WFbv-L.jpg

2. "Too much celebration?" -- Friend's Daughter's Birthday
    736461925_VBtfH-L.jpg

3. "A reflective celebration" -- Fall of the Berlin Wall Memorial and Celebration
    736461850_agGcT-L.jpg
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    ghinson, your neighbour Bill knows how to celebrate from the look of his house. Do all those lights keep you awake at night? What was your setup for this one?

Fortunately there are a couple of houses between us and Bill. But his across-the-street neighbor uses light-blocking shades.

I also took several pics from a cherrypicker he rented, to capture it all. Look at the wider ones here: http://ackdoc.smugmug.com/Images/Nantucket-Christmas-Stroll/10546471_37k3R/1/735852999_7fjsK

I shot this at 14mm with the Nikon 14-24. Handheld. ISO 1600. f13. 1/60.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited December 10, 2009
    Holy cow!!! Those overhead shots are something else. I'd hate to see his hydro bill in January. We have a similar house in my neighbourhood. The cars are lined up for blocks each season to get a peak. I always feel sympathy for the neighbours on many levels. mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited December 10, 2009
    Andrew, what a great set! I can hear the chit chat in #1, each egging the other on to just sneak a taste. Life is short, eat dessert first. rolleyes1.gif

The children dancing is taken from such an interesting angle. I love the feeling of communication between them.

This last one of the young girl looking into the candlelight is wonderful but with the back story of the event just adds so much emotion to the shot. The children are the future. Well done.

patti hinton photography
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    well, my computer is on the blink, so i apologize for not being able to upload any fresh stuff. but i guess here are some oldies to start while i wait for the after x-mas sales (or generous xmas gift) for a new system (and excuse to spend more money on photographic supplies and support gear).:D

here goes....

july 4 at the lake -- the obligatory fireworks celebration shot
    593159315_dVoye-L-1.jpg

triplicate birthday
    689712628_9NUtN-L.jpg

revival of a long tradition -- Canoe Journey 2007, Paddle to Lummi. the return to the Coast Salish potlatch tradition after a 70 years absence.
    593965140_RtqwG-L-2.jpg

good luck all!
    edited December 11, 2009
    Dan, what a great range of celebrations. From patriotic to personal to cultural. They are all terrific additions to our celebration thread.clap.gifclap

patti hinton photography
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Ok, this doesn't belong on page two.

The 4th
    169009071_bcYWy-L.jpg

169009088_qUVzo-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • redcargurlredcargurl Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Mini Challenge "Celebrate"
    744781551_atRSW-M.jpg

My youngest son lights the menorah candles for Hanukkah.
    Here's where my photos are: http://erink.smugmug.com/
    I'd love to hear from other Seattle area photographers.
    Opinion & Critique always welcome. Thanks for visiting! ~Erin K.

Gear: Pentax K10D, Lenses: Pentax 18-28mm zoom, Tamron 75-300mm zoom, Soon to arrive Tamron 28-75 zoom. Also various other toys and accouterments. you understand.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    4th of July in Rockford, Ill.

"Enjoying the Parade"
    169771442_ieLAN-L-1.jpg

"Festive Costumes"
    169770817_fgxyR-L-1.jpg

"The Fireworks"
    170509664_K7nws-L-1.jpg
  • philx123philx123 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Here's mine
    I have one From New Year a couple of years back:

747281821_6H46v-L.jpg

Phil
    edited December 28, 2009
    Dave, I have had little luck capturing fireworks effectively. Thank you for posting these 4th of July beauties.

patti hinton photography
    edited December 28, 2009
    Redcargirl, your capture of you child's hand lighting the menorah conveys for me the solemnity of the occasion beautifully. I like the varied colours of the candles as well.

patti hinton photography
    edited December 28, 2009
    Discott56, there's nothing like the enthusiasm of American's patriotism especially on the 4th. You folks know how to throw a parade. The fellow with the red white and blue top hat epitomizes that enthusiasm for me. Well done.

patti hinton photography
    edited December 28, 2009
    Phil, your New Year's Eve shot has really captured the feeling of overindulgence on the night. rolleyes1.gifI feel as though I'm viewing the participants through a haze of celebratory champagne. On a more serious side, it also brings to mind the blurring of time passing quickly, another year over. Great contribution.

patti hinton photography
    edited December 28, 2009
    Thank you to those who took time to post their celebratory captures. I know it's a busy time of year and perhaps that's why the turnout has been limited for this challenge.
    I apologize for not being available to spur more members on to contribute. Hopefully our next host will do a better job. Now that I'm back in the country, I will get to work trying to pick just one winner - not an easy feat!

Stay tuned...

patti hinton photography
  • redcargurlredcargurl Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Redcargirl, your capture of you child's hand lighting the menorah conveys for me the solemnity of the occasion beautifully. I like the varied colours of the candles as well.

Thank you!
    ~Erin
    Here's where my photos are: http://erink.smugmug.com/
    I'd love to hear from other Seattle area photographers.
    Opinion & Critique always welcome. Thanks for visiting! ~Erin K.

Gear: Pentax K10D, Lenses: Pentax 18-28mm zoom, Tamron 75-300mm zoom, Soon to arrive Tamron 28-75 zoom. Also various other toys and accouterments. you understand.