736023466_BWSxG-XL.jpg

#2: Thinking out of the box: :-)

736023462_j5KHk-XL.jpg

Finals are coming....
This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    These are great Nikolai. Really helps me learn when I can see your setup. Interesting. Can't wait to see the finished product. I can't say I am a fan of tattoos, especially on a woman but I really dig the rim light portraits. Can't wait to try my own.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    These are great Nikolai. Really helps me learn when I can see your setup. Interesting. Can't wait to see the finished product. I can't say I am a fan of tattoos, especially on a woman but I really dig the rim light portraits. Can't wait to try my own.
    Thanks Alex!
    Mind you - rim lighing is very critical to slight spill, hence the crates. You'd have to use gobos/flags for now...
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks Alex!
    Mind you - rim lighing is very critical to slight spill, hence the crates. You'd have to use gobos/flags for now...

Could I use the honeycomb grids once I get them? I'm thinking I could but probably for tighter shots, not full body.

Also, the crates you have, is that a permanent piece of the soft box or can you remove it? After shooting with the umbrellas, I realize I will also need to get soft boxes when I want to control the light more. I noticed there are square and roundish soft boxes. Is one better than the other or are they used for entirely different applications? If I can only get one type, which?

Sorry for all the questions.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    Could I use the honeycomb grids once I get them? I'm thinking I could but probably for tighter shots, not full body.

Also, the crates you have, is that a permanent piece of the soft box or can you remove it? After shooting with the umbrellas, I realize I will also need to get soft boxes when I want to control the light more. I noticed there are square and roundish soft boxes. Is one better than the other or are they used for entirely different applications? If I can only get one type, which?

Sorry for all the questions.

Yes, the honeycomb grids are for a bit tighter shots. But you know what - before I got those 2x4 softboxes I was simply using 4 lights as rims, one pair with 40 degree grids and another pair with 30 degree grids.

Crates: easily removable (velcro).

Softbox vs umbrella: yeah, baby! :-) Now I see you're getting addicted:-)

Round vs rectangular. In the end it's a matter of taste and - in some cases - construction issues. Super huge ones are typically round. My reasoning behind getting rectangulars was that a human body (my primary target) is an elongated target, not a round one. If I were to shoot flowers, I'd prolly pick up round one:-). Besides, the look like windows in the catchlights:-)

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes, the honeycomb grids are for a bit tighter shots. But you know what - before I got those 2x4 softboxes I was simply using 4 lights as rims, one pair with 40 degree grids and another pair with 30 degree grids.

Crates: easily removable (velcro).

Softbox vs umbrella: yeah, baby! :-) Now I see you're getting addicted:-)

Round vs rectangular. In the end it's a matter of taste and - in some cases - construction issues. Super huge ones are typically round. My reasoning behind getting rectangulars was that a human body (my primary target) is an elongated target, not a round one. If I were to shoot flowers, I'd prolly pick up round one:-). Besides, the look like windows in the catchlights:-)

HTH

Oh... I am totally addicted and I don't want rehab! :D

Having to use more lights with grids makes sense since you're making your constricting the light source. Unfortunately I only have two right now, well three if you count my speedlight, so buying a soft box and crate maybe be a bit easier on the pocket book.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    Oh... I am totally addicted and I don't want rehab! :D

Having to use more lights with grids makes sense since you're making your constricting the light source. Unfortunately I only have two right now, well three if you count my speedlight, so buying a soft box and crate maybe be a bit easier on the pocket book.

As I said - I only did that out of necessity, since I needed essentially a long narrow vertical rim light. I didn't have softboxes at the time, but I had lights, so I managed. Once I got the 2x4 softboxes I startred to used them as rims and could use the two "salvaged" lights as BG lights etc.