Options

Little League All Star Team might hire me....

ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited June 28, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
A local All Star team for little league might be interested in hiring me......how should i go about this? One of the moms is my next door neighbor and was interested in hiring just me for only her son, but then maybe suggested i do the team photos......what sort of equipment would I need for a group team shot and maybe individual shots. How much should I charge? (this would be the first time I have ever done this), and how should I do the payment for giving away all pictures. The team would probably be interested in paying me a flat fee per game and being able to have all the images on CDs.....what is a reasonable rate to charge for that? (I dont want to be insulting to my neighbor by asking too much, so lowball it)
www.chase.smugmug.com
I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8

Comments

• Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    A few things come to mind
    1. talk to your neighbor and ask her what she feels would be a safe number, KEEP IN MIND THAT YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY IS A JOB NO MATTER WHAT LEVEL YOU ARE AT AND YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE A LITTLE MONEY TO SUPPORT YOURSELF ( MORE CAMERA EQ. )
    2. you can talk to the league directors and ask what they have paid in the past and go below that number to get your foot in the door even further.
    i hope that this is a little help for you.
    Chase wrote:
    A local All Star team for little league might be interested in hiring me......how should i go about this? One of the moms is my next door neighbor and was interested in hiring just me for only her son, but then maybe suggested i do the team photos......what sort of equipment would I need for a group team shot and maybe individual shots. How much should I charge? (this would be the first time I have ever done this), and how should I do the payment for giving away all pictures. The team would probably be interested in paying me a flat fee per game and being able to have all the images on CDs.....what is a reasonable rate to charge for that? (I dont want to be insulting to my neighbor by asking too much, so lowball it)
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    A few things come to mind
    1. talk to your neighbor and ask her what she feels would be a safe number, KEEP IN MIND THAT YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY IS A JOB NO MATTER WHAT LEVEL YOU ARE AT AND YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE A LITTLE MONEY TO SUPPORT YOURSELF ( MORE CAMERA EQ. )
    2. you can talk to the league directors and ask what they have paid in the past and go below that number to get your foot in the door even further.
    i hope that this is a little help for you.
    It sint so much my job. I do it very part time just to pay for camera equipment. I dont mind undervaluing my work slightly either to make neighbors or friends happy.

Also, I am 17yo, I dont have bills to pay or any of that stuff, it is just a hobby, and a job that can support the hobby a bit. thumb.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    It sint so much my job. I do it very part time just to pay for camera equipment. I dont mind undervaluing my work slightly either to make neighbors or friends happy.

Also, I am 17yo, I dont have bills to pay or any of that stuff, it is just a hobby, and a job that can support the hobby a bit. thumb.gif
    Will work for glass eh? You're going to need money to get that glass. What is your time worth? Minimum wage is what $5.15 an hour most places right? What about the equipment, are you going to essentially pay for the equipment (or to rent the equipment) for them to have the pleasure of it being used for them? It's up to you of course, but my view is that if you are worth it, then they should pay it.

Mike
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Will work for glass eh? You're going to need money to get that glass. What is your time worth? Minimum wage is what $5.15 an hour most places right? What about the equipment, are you going to essentially pay for the equipment (or to rent the equipment) for them to have the pleasure of it being used for them? It's up to you of course, but my view is that if you are worth it, then they should pay it.

Mike
    I would definately make money off of it, but Im not going to gouge em, cause i dont have to pay for housing food etc, just glass. thumb.gif

The rental costs will surely be covered in the deal.

Besides, I can make 100 bucks a day working in a glue factory. rolleyes1.gif

And i am not joking, I really do work in a glue factory.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    I would definately make money off of it, but Im not going to gouge em, cause i dont have to pay for housing food etc, just glass. thumb.gif

The rental costs will surely be covered in the deal.

Besides, I can make 100 bucks a day working in a glue factory. rolleyes1.gif

And i am not joking, I really do work in a glue factory.
    I'm not saying that you should charge anything over what you're worth. There are lots of photographers who have other jobs that earn them much more than 36,500 per year that still charge plenty for photo shoots. I mean, I wouldn't because my photography isn't up to snuff. But once it gets better I'll charge more.

Really it's up to you but in 1 to 5 years are you still going to keeping up with your photography if it is costing you money?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Chase wrote:

I realize you're only 17 years old. But the comment above is irrelevant. Photography is not "cost priced", it is "value priced". And the price you charge is a function of the quality of your photographs and the value they have to the customers. I don't know what quality level your photos are. But if you charge what they are worth, then that is not gouging no matter how low your living expenses are.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu