Options

CS3 filter question

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 10, 2009 in Finishing School
Sometimes when I use "diffuse glow", I get that archetypal white, low-clarity, typical "glow" look on the layer.

Other times, it will have the effect of turning the image/layer black, almost like a reverse negative.

I've tried every blending mode I can think of, I've checked the image "modes" to make sure I'm in 8bit rgb, and I've tried flatteing, separate layers and everything else I can come up with. Yet I can't find a reason/pattern and thus can't figure out how to change it.

Anybody? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 8, 2009
    headscratch.gif Post a screen shot with the layers palette and maybe we can sort it out.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    First shot showing layers before I added diffuse glow to one complete layer ("complete" layer being the one that ctl+alt+shift+e generates) The "no clue" layer is, I think, a complete layer I created and then didn't use; it doesn't have any effect on teh image and I probably can delete it, but I left it there for whatever it may (or may not) be worth.

layerswithout.jpg

After adding "Diffuse glow" to the "complete" layer (which I also moved to the top). I'm guesing it's something to do with a mask, but it does it even AFTER I do a "merge all layers" and flatten it - same result as this.

Fullscreen%20capture%201282009%2050714%20PM.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 9, 2009
    Yeah, I've run into this before. I don't exactly understand why it's designed that way, but the choice of foreground and background colors on your toolbar is responsible. You had white foreground and black background selected. Reverse the two (click on the little two-way arrow) and you will get what you want. I believe this affects a few other filters as well, but I don't recall which. No doubt someone who understands this better can actually use it to good advantage. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Richard, you are the CS3 Knight in Shining Armor today - THANK YOU! It's been driving me batty because I couldn't figure out why it was seemingly random!

I wonder whether it's just a glitch of sorts, or whether it's meant to do that?! headscratch.gif