Options

Boxing

SnapLocallySnapLocally Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited December 10, 2009 in Sports
I took these at The Target Center in Minneapolis last night:

The photographer pictured was there to take photos of his son, who was the overwhelming favorite to win this fight. That didn't happen. He was beat down in 30 seconds of round 1.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

This fight also ended just after the bell of first round. The boxer left standing didn't hear the bell, kept swinging, and knocked his opponent out cold. And then a fight started.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

And these are just some random action shots I liked:

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Comments

• Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    The photography pictured has his flash at the ready. Is this allowed? Are you using flash as well? I can't believe it would be permissible given the blinding effect it could have on a fighter and the eventual outcome.

Great story and great shots either way.
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    The photography pictured has his flash at the ready. Is this allowed? Are you using flash as well? I can't believe it would be permissible given the blinding effect it could have on a fighter and the eventual outcome.

Great story and great shots either way.

Thank you.

That photographer is old school guy that thinks digital isn't "the truth" because things like exposure, color and artifacts can be manipulated, yet he has no problem tailoring the environment to his camera using a blinding, un-defused Speedlight in the face of boxers as they fight. I told him before the fights that there's plenty of available lighting and that flash wouldn't be necessary, but his response was "I always use a flash to shoot boxing" as though that magically made it appropriate.

I guess you can guess my answer, but here it is anyhow: no, I NEVER use a flash for Combat Sports- it's unprofessional.
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    love these! first random shot is great and good capture on the kidney punch at the end!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Thanks Tim.

It's nice to see that no one universally agrees on what the "best shot". Diversity!
  • Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Thank you.

That photographer is old school guy that thinks digital isn't "the truth" because things like exposure, color and artifacts can be manipulated, yet he has no problem tailoring the environment to his camera using a blinding, un-defused Speedlight in the face of boxers as they fight. I told him before the fights that there's plenty of available lighting and that flash wouldn't be necessary, but his response was "I always use a flash to shoot boxing" as though that magically made it appropriate.

I guess you can guess my answer, but here it is anyhow: no, I NEVER use a flash for Combat Sports- it's unprofessional.

What a clown. I wonder if his son's unexpected loss had anything to do with the fact his dad blinded him? Wouldn't that be ironic.

Like you, I never use flash during live events - most notably hockey. Agree 100%
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dunnerdunner Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I can feel the pain in some of those shots so they must be good!
    Kevin
    Peterborough, Ontario

www.kevindunn.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009