Options

First wrestling match

ladykassieladykassie Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited December 11, 2009 in Sports
This is my first ever photography shoot on wrestling for the newspaper I do sports photography for and even going to a wrestling match. It was really interesting, alot to learn on the game though. What moves are, points, etc... working on that so on the next paper shoot I will be more prepared. ;0)

wrestling01.jpg

wrestling02.jpg

wrestling03.jpg

Thanks

~alice
" The world is not always a beautiful place; it's how you envision it to become beautiful." ~alice

http://vision-vault.com/

Comments

• Options
    JeffCanonJeffCanon Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    #1 the facial expression of both wresters is very good thumb.gif & eye on the red wrester toothumb.gif, but IMO horizontal crop would be better
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Alice,

Nice first start. I would suggest a few alterations for your next time out:

1) set a manual white balance - WB in these shots is a tad off - typicall of auto WB results indoors. Works great outdoors but not in.

2) Get the exposure up - these are underexposed. Actually, if you can, use an external flash - it's usually allowed for wrestling if you're media. The important part is FACES - in shots 2 and 3 especially the faces are in shadow. Flash provides the best way to expose for them but if you can't or don't wish to use flash you need to bump your exposure so facial detail is more prevalant.
  • Options
    ladykassieladykassie Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Thank you!

I am not sure about using a flash... but I will test out the wb on my next shoot!
    " The world is not always a beautiful place; it's how you envision it to become beautiful." ~alice

http://vision-vault.com/
  • Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Those bring back some memories!!

Nice first shoot. Watcha using for a lens (what body)?

I would think (just coming off my first season of learning how to shoot gymnastics) that a prime lens would be your new best friend. You could really get the shutter speed up in the 320th or 400th range and that would be enough to stop wrestling motion....I would think. And at a lower ISO too. 50mm/1.4 85mm/1.8 would be good choices I would think, since you're allowed right out on the side of the mat.

You can tweak your WB in PP if you've got a program to do that and are shooting in RAW.
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    http://www.sectiononewrestling.com/documents/wrestling_hand_signals.gif
    http://www.wvmat.com/overview.htm

those links will get you started in understanding the rules and scoring.

the downside to using flash in wrestling is that many of the spandex singlets are metalic and reflect the flash. I have had the flash turn the singlets into an almost transparent fabric and colorful boxers could be seen in the photos. Funny teenagers!
    Facial expressions are always good. capturing fireman carries, tilts, banana splits, arm bars and any other moves that result in submission are good.
    Be very careful to not capture crotch shots. there is a market for those shots but your newspaper probably isn't it.

Have fun and hope to see more from you during the season.

Alicia

that first image....I think a horizontal crop that cut out the blurred hand would be much better. I know the blur shows movement, but it is distracting, IMHO
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Not just a cool wrestle shot do I look for in my local paper but the shot of the move that makes or breaks my Tornados standing in the local division. Oh Yeah!
    Growing with Dgrin