Options

WTB: Canon Rebel XT

ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited June 28, 2005 in Flea Market
hi all - I'm taking the deep plunge from film to digital. I currently have a Rebel 2000, purchased a Canon A95 for snap 'n shoot and love it, but miss my macro, telephoto, and astrophotography lenses. Plus, it's easier to learn "photography" w/ a digital...instant results and you can really see what different exposures, apertures, etc. can do on the spot (something I'm currently working on).

So - I'm looking to buy a Rebel XT. Wondering if anyone has a slightly used yet perfectly fine XT they want to part with, otherwise I'm going with B&H's deal for a silver body for $799. Anyone? Anyone?

also - do you think there's still a market out there to sell a used Rebel 2000? I also have my granddad's Canon AE1-P to sell as well! (different thread when the time comes)

Adrienne :D

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    ...it's easier to learn "photography" w/ a digital...instant results and you can really see what different exposures, apertures, etc. can do on the spot
    Yes, you do get "instant" feedback. However, the LCD screen is not a panacea ... keep in mind that what you can see on it is pretty limited. Lighting subtleties may not be visible. You can see depth-of-field to some extent, but not nearly as well as on the computer screen (or print). The most useful thing you'll see is the histogram display to verify exposure, so you know if you've lost shadow detail or blown out highlights. There is no substitute for that in the film world (expect maybe Polaroids?)
    do you think there's still a market out there to sell a used Rebel 2000? I also have my granddad's Canon AE1-P to sell as well! (different thread when the time comes)
    Sure! You won't have any trouble selling either, as long as you advertise in front of a large audience. You could start at the DGrin Flea Market forum; if it doesn't pop here, then try FM, CraigsList, or -- if you can swallow the fees -- eBay. You can always check at eBay (using the "Completed Sales" checkbox) to see what they've actually been selling for there.

The AE1-P is a real "classic" -- I'm dating myself, but I remember when they came out, a big advancement at the time. I owned a Canon A-1 (a slightly later model with additional features) for many years. There are a lot of AE1s and AE1-Ps out there, so it probably won't command a big premium, but there should definitely be a market.

= bug
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    thanks bug for your input :-)

By "instant feedback" I was referring a bit to the LCD screen, but more to the fact that I take the camera home and voila! it's in PSD within the hour and it's "raw", just the way I helped the camera take it so I can really see the differences in a series of shots (no auto-leveling by film processor)
    while learning.

thanks!
    Adrienne

photobug wrote:
    Yes, you do get "instant" feedback. However, the LCD screen is not a panacea ... keep in mind that what you can see on it is pretty limited. Lighting subtleties may not be visible. You can see depth-of-field to some extent, but not nearly as well as on the computer screen (or print). The most useful thing you'll see is the histogram display to verify exposure, so you know if you've lost shadow detail or blown out highlights. There is no substitute for that in the film world (expect maybe Polaroids?)

Sure! You won't have any trouble selling either, as long as you advertise in front of a large audience. You could start at the DGrin Flea Market forum; if it doesn't pop here, then try FM, CraigsList, or -- if you can swallow the fees -- eBay. You can always check at eBay (using the "Completed Sales" checkbox) to see what they've actually been selling for there.

The AE1-P is a real "classic" -- I'm dating myself, but I remember when they came out, a big advancement at the time. I owned a Canon A-1 (a slightly later model with additional features) for many years. There are a lot of AE1s and AE1-Ps out there, so it probably won't command a big premium, but there should definitely be a market.

= bug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    here's one on fm i don't know the seller though...

good luck!