Options

D90 for weddings. Comments please.

jottajotta Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited December 11, 2009 in Weddings
Anyone uses a D90 to shoot weddings? I'd like some comments on that, pl. I have a D90 and I'll be using it for my next wedding. Also comments on the lenses that you use. I have a nikon 50mm 1.8, a 12-24mm 2.8, 20-70mm, and a 70-200mm 2.8 (no fish eye). Anybody see the need for a fish eye? Thanks for all the responses.
http://Jottaphoto.com
Nikon D90
Nikkor 18-105mm
Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 macro

Comments

• Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I would definitely have a backup camera too! I've used D200s, D80s, D300s, and D90s for weddings and had good results so I say go for it. I personally prefer the D300/D200 bodies because of the extra controls on the exterior of the body but I think if you set up a D90 right and if you are very comfortable using it, it would be fine. As for lenses, I'd say you have more than enough lenses to effectively shoot a wedding(assuming you meant a 24-70 2.8). A fisheye is a fun extra lens but far far far from necessary in my mind. I think something important that wasnt mentioned that is a flash. I think have one or two good flashes is kinda necessary to shoot a wedding depending on the church and what time the wedding is. Make sure you have lots of memory, especially if you shoot it in raw!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    jottajotta Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    jrmyrnsm wrote:
    I would definitely have a backup camera too! I've used D200s, D80s, D300s, and D90s for weddings and had good results so I say go for it. I personally prefer the D300/D200 bodies because of the extra controls on the exterior of the body but I think if you set up a D90 right and if you are very comfortable using it, it would be fine. As for lenses, I'd say you have more than enough lenses to effectively shoot a wedding(assuming you meant a 24-70 2.8). A fisheye is a fun extra lens but far far far from necessary in my mind. I think something important that wasnt mentioned that is a flash. I think have one or two good flashes is kinda necessary to shoot a wedding depending on the church and what time the wedding is. Make sure you have lots of memory, especially if you shoot it in raw!

Yes, it is a 24-70 2.8. I like to have at least 2.8s in my bag. I'm using an SB900 flash, and I'd like to, some time in the future, use off camera flash on weddings. I would also like to move up to full frame camera but for now my D90 is really cool and i'm having lots of fun with it. Thanks for the comments, and the tips. Very helpful. Have you done weddings with off camera flash?
    http://Jottaphoto.com
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-105mm
    Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 macro
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Yeah off camera flash is something I've been playing with lately. Its a lot of fun and you can get some great results. Heres two from the wedding i did last weekend using 2 SB800s, one on the camera as a commander and for fill and a second on a stand set to manual for the burst.

wed-1006.jpg

wed-1007.jpg
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge