Options

I need your advice

NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited June 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have a couple of questions about posting photos on Smugmug. After making adjustments in Photoshop, what is the best way to prepare a photo for uploading to Smugmug? Should I make color adjustments, sharpening, etc. in Photoshop? Or is it better to just let Smugmug's color fixing do the job?

In addition to viewing photos, I want to allow people to make their own prints. Because I don't know if people will want 4x6's, 8x10's, etc., what is the best size to upload the photo.

Should I convert the photos to jpg's? What is the best resolution? File size?

I know these are basic questions, but I would appreciate your patience with me.

Comments

• Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I have a couple of questions about posting photos on Smugmug. After making adjustments in Photoshop, what is the best way to prepare a photo for uploading to Smugmug? Should I make color adjustments, sharpening, etc. in Photoshop? Or is it better to just let Smugmug's color fixing do the job?

In addition to viewing photos, I want to allow people to make their own prints. Because I don't know if people will want 4x6's, 8x10's, etc., what is the best size to upload the photo.

You might start by reading these smugmug help sections

http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-storage
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos
  • Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    NikonGirl wrote:

My understanding is [font=&quot]that you want your photos in JPEG format. You want to select Photoshop compression level 10 because it reducees the file size for uploading. Here's a quote from someone much more in the know about all this than I am. "The key thing with file size is the JPEG compression level. In Photoshop, it goes up to 12 (what other programs call 10). But a Photoshop 10 file is one-third the size in bytes and of equal quality. No one has ever been able to tell the difference in a print, despite contests and challenges to do so."

Once you've uploaded your JPEG photos, you don't need to worry about what size prints people will want to order. When people order, all that will be taken care of. smugmug will forward your original to their printing partner. There all kinds of big, beefy machines will make a print from your file.

Color correction on photos I know very little about. What I do know is that smugmug has a whole section of help pages on color. You can go to "help" then scroll down to "getting great prints."

[/font]