Options

#39 maybe?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Finally a chance to try and put something together! Man, the last 2 months have been busy. This is good, of course, but has definitely kept me from playing around with challenge entries :D

In any case, I came up with this idea which made me master a skill I've struggled with since I was a child: making origami paper cranes. Thoughts? I've gone a little nuts with PP which can of course be adjusted - this is a first effort, so all C&C welcome!

Working title (maybe): Origami at dawn
738491447_fBN6t-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    I love the colors in this. It's a happy little picture. I like the shadows that you painted in for the paper birds. I like the idea. I guess you could say that I like this photo! thumb.gifthumb.gif

Sherry
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    Thanks Sherry! The "shadows" are, in fact, real after a fashion: I shot the cranes on a mirror, and those are actually the reflections (with some added PP of course).
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    I like an image that I have to stare at for awhile. This one has lots of interesting aspects as far as the shadows or reflections from my interpretation of it. I would have no doubts about giving this a nice frame and hanging it on my wall. :) And origami would obviously fit the theme very well. Great job.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    I like this a lot! There is a papery feel to the BG, too.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    Thanks guys. Is it leaning too much to "graphic art" and not photograpy? I may try to grab a shot of some reeds/weeds near a lake, although in this weather it's going to be tough to find something useable, hence why I went with Photoshop brushes instead (there's no composite work in this - it's all just PP). Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback! Been working mostly on people shots the last couple of months and a while since I submitted anything "artistic", so I'm feeling a tad out of my depth!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    bringing some more elements like photographed reeds might take away the dreamy state.ne_nau.gif but lets see what what happensthumb.gif

my only nit is the black within the clouds, maybe a gray would be better?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    bringing some more elements like photographed reeds might take away the dreamy state.ne_nau.gif but lets see what what happensthumb.gif

my only nit is the black within the clouds, maybe a gray would be better?

Thanks Aaron. No go on reeds up here right now - weather is COLD and anythign I could shoot would have been super hard to incorporate.

However, here's another version - tad more flare, tad more variety in the reeds, softened the clouds (they're so many layers back it'll be hard to redo them without starting over, so I'm just trying to modify a tad :D).

Thoughts, all?

738900655_AACop-L.jpg
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    I like this one even better than the first....which I liked a lot. I'm not crazy about that one horizontal plant element in the mid-right side. Other than that I think it is stunning.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2009
    I like this one even better than the first....which I liked a lot. I'm not crazy about that one horizontal plant element in the mid-right side. Other than that I think it is stunning.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I'm not sure which plant you mean - the horizontal one right in front of the blue crane? These reeds have been the hardest thing - I kinda like the "painted Japanese look" they bring, but I don't want them to look too unnatural so I played around with them forever this morning. Still not sure I've managed to get that element quite right yet.... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Mum I like the reeds in the first one. Are the circles from the lights? Needs a rubber ducky for the plastic part :D
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Mum I like the reeds in the first one. Are the circles from the lights? Needs a rubber ducky for the plastic part :D

Thanks! I can't decide which one I prefer - I think I lean towards the 2nd because I like the darker greens, but still not happy with how I"ve positioned them - I think I'm gonna have to tweak those darned reeds again, methinks.... :)
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    I've looked and looked at the reeds. At first that horizontal one under the blue crane distracted me. But when I went back to the reeds, they lead my eye through the image from right to the left, which is how the cranes are flying.

I really love this image. It makes you wonder about the cranes, how the image was created and gives an appreciation for different textures.

Don't drive yourself nuts with the reeds. You have a nice image here.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Divamum,
    This is so different from anything I've ever seen from youclap.gif , way to push yourself.

I like your second version better, there is so much to look at--but to me it doesn't detract from the main subject, so great balancing job.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Version 2 for me as well. clap.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams