Options

Client picky about packages...advice?

Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited December 13, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm sure there have been many posts like this before, but I can't seem to find one that answers my questions..lol....I recently got a call from the mother of a bride whose wedding I shot. She said that she isn't very computer savy and just wanted to order some prints through me instead of online and mail me a check....she basically ordered a bunch of 8x10's and 5x7's (I'd say about 20 total).....but then she told me that she didn't like any of the 4 photo packages that I offer because she don't want any smaller prints, and asked me if I could "create" a package for her based on all the images she ordered so she could basically get a better deal and not have to pay for every individual print separately.

should I work up some sort of package and/or discount for her?.....or basically tell her that I only offer the packages you see, other than that, you have to purchase prints individual?

thanks!

Kevin

www.ctm-photography.net

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Kevin CTMP wrote:
    I'm sure there have been many posts like this before, but I can't seem to find one that answers my questions..lol....I recently got a call from the mother of a bride whose wedding I shot. She said that she isn't very computer savy and just wanted to order some prints through me instead of online and mail me a check....she basically ordered a bunch of 8x10's and 5x7's (I'd say about 20 total).....but then she told me that she didn't like any of the 4 photo packages that I offer because she don't want any smaller prints, and asked me if I could "create" a package for her based on all the images she ordered so she could basically get a better deal and not have to pay for every individual print separately.

should I work up some sort of package and/or discount for her?.....or basically tell her that I only offer the packages you see, other than that, you have to purchase prints individual?

thanks!

Kevin

www.ctm-photography.net

Not sure what your print prices are, but if she is ordering 20, I'd just give her a discount of some sort. But that's me.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Kevin CTMP wrote:

Why would you not offer something to the person who is trying to spend their money with you?
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I can see this going either way, to be honest. You want to keep your clients happy, possibly get some word of mouth going so you can consider a different package deal. However...
    Why would you not offer something to the person who is trying to spend their money with you?
    If I'm going to buy a new stereo and I ask for a discount, just because, I'm likely not to get it, I think. There is a difference between a stereo and photos, but you see what I mean, I'm sure.
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    If you offer discounts on bulk purchases of smaller prints, I'd offer to customize a package for her. Perhaps at a lower discount because of the extra time involved, and the presumably lower profit margin on larger prints. I think that's just good customer service.
  • Options
    1designguy1designguy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 11, 2009
    Discounts
    Kevin CTMP wrote:

thanks!

Kevin

www.ctm-photography.net

I would offer a percentage off discount but would wonder if (1) you will be printing this "in house" and/or (2) have you figured your time and material cost for in house service? I know it cost me much more (time and material cost) to print and deliver in house. Just a thought but bottom line is if the costumer is being reasonable in their request I would look for a fair common ground. The other side is that I would prefer someone negotiate up front about the terms of an agreement than after the fact (that goes two ways).
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 11, 2009
    I would ignore the nomenclature of "package" and simply quote her a price for the 20 odd 8x10 and 5x7 prints she's requested. If they prove considerably more expensive than she expected, compared to your existing online packages, you simply explain a custom order requires additional work and material and gets your personal attention in the printing process.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    I would ignore the nomenclature of "package" and simply quote her a price for the 20 odd 8x10 and 5x7 prints she's requested. If they prove considerably more expensive than she expected, compared to your existing online packages, you simply explain a custom order requires additional work and material and gets your personal attention in the printing process.

Absolutely right. See the thread on selling yourself cheap.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    This is the mother of the bride. Just what is the upside of not providing what she wants with a smile?

Sam
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Big
    My 8x10 and smaller are all one price if they're not ordered on the website.

Your time is worth money. If she wants to exchange two small prints for one larger print I'd consider doing that. We have to educate our clients. We aren't selling paper. Repeat. We don't sell paper. We are selling a memory and an experience and our knowledge of making it happen.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    This is the mother of the bride. Just what is the upside of not providing what she wants with a smile?

Sam
    tHIS I agree with......

Here is and has been my take on print sales.....

Per print prices are posted for the person that only wants 1 or 2 prints........

I stopped doing "PACKAGES" per se, because everyones taste are different........I offer custom packages....or print discounts after the 5th print ....so starting with print 6 thru 15....I give X% off.....16-30....x.x% off and it grows......I have not been called on it as I do not publisize my Discount pricing......so when an order come in I send an invoice showing a sizable discount and Wow I made a friend and a promoter...............

If some one orders 3 - 20 x 30's I'll give a small discount......if they order 3- 40 x 60's I'll give a larger discount........but if all they want are 4x6 or 5x7......it takes a bunch for the discount to kick in........like at least 6.....but the discount is small....like the prints..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    thanks everyone, i think i'll total up the actual price of what she ordered, then just hack a chunk off :)

thanks again.

Kevin

www.ctm-photography.net