Options

How do I contact a member?

flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited June 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I feel like this is a dumb question, but if I see a Smugmug user's galleries and would like to contact them, how can I do it? Is leaving a comment on a photo the only way?

I see that I can create a community and then invite people to join. What happens when I click the "invite" link? Do I get a chance to write something or is it just an automated thing, and what happens on their end? Do they get an email sent to them?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited June 24, 2005
    I feel like this is a dumb question, but if I see a Smugmug user's galleries and would like to contact them, how can I do it? Is leaving a comment on a photo the only way?

I see that I can create a community and then invite people to join. What happens when I click the "invite" link? Do I get a chance to write something or is it just an automated thing, and what happens on their end? Do they get an email sent to them?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

There are a few ways to do this, but by far the easiest is:

When you are viewing their post, click their name on the left. The second menu item to appear is "Send a private message to (their username)" Click that and then compose away.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    There are a few ways to do this, but by far the easiest is:

When you are viewing their post, click their name on the left. The second menu item to appear is "Send a private message to (their username)" Click that and then compose away.
    Thanks, but I meant a Smugmug member, not a Digital Grin member.
  • Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Thanks, but I meant a Smugmug member, not a Digital Grin member.
    smugmug members sometimes place their email address in the bio. If the member you wish to contact has done that... send 'em an email.

Many members enable comments on their galleries. You could leave a comment with your email address.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    So there appears to be no way to send a message to a Smugmug member other than to leave a comment?

Does anyone here run a Smugmug community? What happens when you click the "invite" link? Do you get a chance to customize your message?

Smugmug, is there any chance of updating the help files to address these questions?
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Does anyone here run a Smugmug community? What happens when you click the "invite" link? Do you get a chance to customize your message?
    If possible, I would like an answer to this question too. I have a community and when I click "Invite", nothing happens as far as I can tell. I don't get an acknowledgment that a message has even been sent.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    NikonGirl wrote:
    If possible, I would like an answer to this question too. I have a community and when I click "Invite", nothing happens as far as I can tell. I don't get an acknowledgment that a message has even been sent.
    I finally emailed the official Smugmug "Help" folks and they said that when you invite someone to your community, the next time they log in to their account they will see a message box that tells them they have been invited and they can accept or decline.

That doesn't seem like the most friendly invitation, so I guess you would need to include some introductory/persuasive text on your community home page, assuming they went to check it out after being invited.

I would prefer to see something more direct and personalized, where hitting the "invite" link would allow you to enter some text that could say "I noticed your great gallery of photos from LaLa Land and would like to invite you to join the LaLa Land community" or whatever. Then they would be sent an email in addition to seeing the message on their account (because who knows when they might log in to their account next and whether they will see the invitation).
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Oh, and I'd also like to see a record of people I've invited and when so that I don't accidentally end up harassing them over and over.