Options

A Morning In Our Life - Gracie

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited December 15, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I wasn't sure if this belonged in People or Street & PJ, but it was inspired by B.D.'s "A Day In Our Life" so I decided to put it here. I spent a bit of time one morning with my niece, Gracie (Age 3) and snapped a few pictures after her Bubba headed off to school. Next time I want to capture the whole morning of him getting ready for school and out the door, etc - but I didn't get myself out of bed early enough for all that.

I shot these with a 50mm 1.8 on my Nikon D80. The only work I've done on them is B&W conversion - no cropping or anything.

C&C are most welcome.

726496501_AVTKD-L.jpg

726506343_ab9Ra-L.jpg

726507863_CKZqA-L.jpg

726509156_Seirv-L.jpg

726502454_FEJgS-L.jpg

Here's a link to the set.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    met wrote:
    I wasn't sure if this belonged in People or Street & PJ, but it was inspired by B.D.'s "A Day In Our Life" so I decided to put it here. I spent a bit of time one morning with my niece, Gracie (Age 3) and snapped a few pictures after her Bubba headed off to school. Next time I want to capture the whole morning of him getting ready for school and out the door, etc - but I didn't get myself out of bed early enough for all that.

I shot these with a 50mm 1.8 on my Nikon D80. The only work I've done on them is B&W conversion - no cropping or anything.

C&C are most welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Very nice set here. I really like your focus on details. I might crop one as a square, and I'd try to burn three in a bit...clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    #3 caught my eye. Nice set!
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Thank you for the feedback. bowdown.gif B.D., do you think the crop would be more effective if I left the edge of the chair in or took it right up close to their hands? When you say try to burn in #3, do you mean darken some of the bright spots? I don't have Photoshop, so I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that. I do have Lightroom, though.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    met wrote:
    Thank you for the feedback. bowdown.gif B.D., do you think the crop would be more effective if I left the edge of the chair in or took it right up close to their hands? When you say try to burn in #3, do you mean darken some of the bright spots? I don't have Photoshop, so I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that. I do have Lightroom, though.

Okay - I've looked again - Ignore what I said about cropping #1rolleyes1.gif Looking at it again I like the dark space to the right.

And yes, I mean attempting to bring some tonality to the dark areas. If you had Photoshop, I could make some suggestions, and I know Rutt could take them much further. But with Lightroom...What you might try is using the paintbrush in Lightroom, setting a fairly small brush size, taking the Highlight setting down about 20%, and painting those blown out areas. See what you get. You can go over it several times to take it down even further. But there may not be any detail there, in which case...

Again, really nice series.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed