Options

Change Filename Keyword default to disabled

agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
edited December 15, 2009 in Bug Reporting
Apparently the new Control Panel/Settings/Filename Keyword option is set to "enabled" by default. Please consider changing default to "disabled".

"Enabled" default causes major problems for the many who do not want filename related (numeric also) keywords automatically added. I, for one, have just uploaded many galleries that I now have to readdress with the cumbersome, time consuming task of deleting a "ton" of unwanted filename related keywords. Hope this can be done. Meanwhile, perhaps the Filename Keyword option can be highlighted somehow so the uninformed are aware of it. Thanks.
Acadiana Al
Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
Blog: Journey to the Light
"Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Al, it's been enabled for 8 years almost. We just introduced the toggle to turn it off.

If we turn it off by default, there will be a huge number of folks that want the keywords from filenames to be indexed.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Al, it's been enabled for 8 years almost. We just introduced the toggle to turn it off.

If we turn it off by default, there will be a huge number of folks that want the keywords from filenames to be indexed.
    Hi, Andy. OK, that explains the often unwanted stuff. I didn't realize the toggle existed until now...guess I am like many who don't review the control panel changes regularly. BTW, I don't see the new keyword option shown or addressed in the http://www.smugmug.com/help/control-panel Settings Help screen. Thanks for response. Regards.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Hi, Andy. OK, that explains the often unwanted stuff. I didn't realize the toggle existed until now...guess I am like many who don't review the control panel changes regularly. BTW, I don't see the new keyword option shown or addressed in the http://www.smugmug.com/help/control-panel Settings Help screen. Thanks for response. Regards.
    Al, the help pages are being updated this week - it's all very brand new stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Al, the help pages are being updated this week - it's all very brand new stuff.
    As always, you guys are on top of it. Thanks for a great site and support. A pleasure. Regards. iloveyou.gif
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 15, 2009
    The default had to be ON for existing users, but it's OFF by default on new accounts.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    The default had to be ON for existing users, but it's OFF by default on new accounts.
    Thanks, David. I understand...yes, it is set best. Is there a maximum limit to the number of keywords my account can have?
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 15, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Thanks, David. I understand...yes, it is set best. Is there a maximum limit to the number of keywords my account can have?

I doubt there is a limit for your account, but there might be a limit for the keyword cloud on the /keyword page.

I probably need to do a bit of digging to answer that though.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    I doubt there is a limit for your account, but there might be a limit for the keyword cloud on the /keyword page.

I probably need to do a bit of digging to answer that though.
    Don't about /keyword cloud max. But set at 1000 and still displays 255, so that must be max. Thanks for help.
    Acadiana Al