Options

CNAME to specific gallery?

ktaylorktaylor Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited June 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

Is there a way you can send a custom hostname to a specific gallery within your smugmug?

I have 3 category galleries - all of which have separate subcategory galleries...I want to CNAME separate all of the category galleries because I may have users uploading photos to one particular gallery and I don't want them to get confused by having them see all 3 galleries when they go to enter/upload their photo(s).

I tried changing the CNAME to gallery.mysite.com/mygallery but my webhosting won't take it because it expects a .com or a .html (type extension) at the end - it has to point to a "page"...so i'm just wondering if there's a way to do that sort of thing or will I just have to create some very explicit instructions for my users??

if there isn't a way to get this to work, is there a way to get the actual IP address and use that instead?

thanks a lot for the help!
Kristie:D

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 21, 2005
    Hey Kristie,

I had a bit of a play around, and I worked something out....i don't know if it effects anything, but it may be worth a try.

Basically, you can make up any filename/extension combination and append it to the url and it will take you to the correct gallery.

ie.. gallery.mysite.com/mygallery/pic.html

Hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    make up any filename/extension combination - i'm afraid i don't quite follow...

are you saying that if one of the photos in the specific gallery is photo.jpg

that i can set the CNAME to gallery.mysite.com/photo.jpg and it'll link directly to that gallery - all pictures viewable?
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    ktaylor wrote:
    make up any filename/extension combination - i'm afraid i don't quite follow...

are you saying that if one of the photos in the specific gallery is photo.jpg

that i can set the CNAME to gallery.mysite.com/photo.jpg and it'll link directly to that gallery - all pictures viewable?
    it appears that smugmug ignores everything after the "mygallery" in
    gallery.mysite.com/mygallery/pic.html

so basically I can make up anything...

http://introversion.smugmug.com/gallery/389624/LetsSeeIfThisWorks.test

so the last part 'LetsSeeIfThisWorks.test' could basically be anything, index.html, fred.jpg, etc.

Does that make sense ?

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    it makes sense - and i tried it... but it didn't work.. Pilotfamilies is the gallery I want to be able to connect to

This is the error I got:

One or more errors were detected in your entries:
    • The target you just entered ( 'taylordouglas.smugmug.com/Pilotfamilies/testing.test.' ) for the 'CNAME' record is not a fully-qualified, valid domain name (e.g. mydomain.com, shop.mydomain.com).
    The data for this record have been reverted to its original values.

maybe it's just my hosting provider that won't allow that type of change???

I do appreciate the help - thanks for taking the time!:D
    Kristie
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    ktaylor wrote:
    it makes sense - and i tried it... but it didn't work.. Pilotfamilies is the gallery I want to be able to connect to

This is the error I got:

One or more errors were detected in your entries:

• The target you just entered ( 'taylordouglas.smugmug.com/Pilotfamilies/testing.test.' ) for the 'CNAME' record is not a fully-qualified, valid domain name (e.g. mydomain.com, shop.mydomain.com).
    The data for this record have been reverted to its original values.

maybe it's just my hosting provider that won't allow that type of change???

I do appreciate the help - thanks for taking the time!:D
    Kristie

Kristie,

I didn't mean for you to use testing.test, I was just using it as an example that the file extension doesn't matter. icon10.gif

Did you try....

taylordouglas.smugmug.com/Pilotfamilies/testing.html

or

taylordouglas.smugmug.com/Pilotfamilies/testing.htm
    ??

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    nope, but i will! :D

guess i took your address literally...my bad! eek7.gif

Kristie

edit: still no worky... I've got a technical ticket into my hosting service.. we'll see what they have to say cuz it sounds to me like i should be able to do this?!
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    ok, so i got the answer from my hosting provider and i can't do what i want to do... they (Hostway) says the CNAME is used to redirect to a .com and that if i want to forward to anything else, i have to turn the gallery.pilotfamilies.com into a hosting site & do a domain forwarding... i'm not willing to pay the $20/month just to forward to the domain, so i'll just have to send my gallery to my main page and forget the idea of sending my users to just the one gallery (vs the whole kit-n-kaboodle front page)...see, i have 3 separate galleries and i honestly don't want all my users to see ALL the galleries...but, oh well, for now! The program still has a ton of excellent qualities that makes it worth using!

oh well, maybe something like this could be part of a new feature? perhaps.. just maybe??? :Dne_nau.gifthumb.gif

Thanks a ton for your help Devbobo, I really appreciate it!:D