Options

non-OEM batteries any good??

jhneljhnel Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 29, 2005 in Accessories
Are the non-OEM replacement Li-lon batteries for Panasonic Fz5, or any camera for that matter, acceptable?
--

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 29, 2005
    I use non-branded batteries for a couple of my cameras and have been
    pretty happy.

What matters is their rating. As long as it's the same or better, you should
    be fine.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    I just added a 2 month-old D70/w Acc. from a friend to my lineup, he had baught a "Power2000". I don't think he ever used it, yesterday I put it in the camera and it did not want to come back out, I had to tap the body hard to get the battery out, and when it came out if fell aprt into two parts in my hands. This is my only experiance with off brand batteries, and since it fell apart I took a good look at the case. The case appears to be thin and brittle, I would not buy this battery myself.

James.

P.S. From my experiance in other area's (laptop's) I have found that most off-brand batteries have the exact same cells as the branded ones, the differance comes in area's such as in my case the plastic housing, or in PCB design.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    If the battery has higher mah than the branded one, it will probably work for en even longer time.thumb.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    I have been using some BP-511's from Sterlingtek. I think they were $12 each and offer a little bit more MHa than the stock Canon cells. So far they been pretty good, especially considering their pricing.

http://www.sterlingtek.com

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.