Options

Setting image prices?

domromerdomromer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited December 19, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I've finally decided to use the photo sales function of SM. The only problem is that I have no idea the kind of prices I should be asking from the different sizes. I've never sold per print I just charge day rates. Are there some other threads on this that maybe I should be looking at? Or some documentation? I did a search and couldn't come up with much.

Dom

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    domromer wrote:
    I've finally decided to use the photo sales function of SM. The only problem is that I have no idea the kind of prices I should be asking from the different sizes.

You need to provide more information. Prints for what? Prints for clients who have already paid a some form of fee? Prints shot on spec? Prints that are in addition to a package?
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    You need to provide more information. Prints for what? Prints for clients who have already paid a some form of fee? Prints shot on spec? Prints that are in addition to a package?

Prints to random people shot right off my website.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    domromer wrote:
    Prints to random people shot right off my website.

Once again you are seeking specific answers to a generic question. Are you talking about art prints to be hung on a wall? Images shot at an event on speculation that someone may stumble across and buy? Images for stock use? Images for stock commercial use? The range that people are selling prints for are just too wide for a generic question.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    Once again you are seeking specific answers to a generic question. Are you talking about art prints to be hung on a wall? Images shot at an event on speculation that someone may stumble across and buy? Images for stock use? Images for stock commercial use? The range that people are selling prints for are just too wide for a generic question.

Never mind. I see this conversation is going nowhere.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Take a look at other users' sites and see what they're providing, and what they charge. At least that will give you a starting point.

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    That seems like the best option. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    I wish you luck...
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    Please go be flip somewhere else. It's not appreciated here. You obviously have nothing to add but your charming wit.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    domromer wrote:
    Please go be flip somewhere else. It's not appreciated here. You obviously have nothing to add but your charming wit.

I was attempting to help you, but you cannot provide simple answers to a simple question, yet you want someone to give you specific answers?

Why not ask what is the best price for a camera? Without knowing what you want, no one can help you.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    domromer wrote:
    I've finally decided to use the photo sales function of SM. The only problem is that I have no idea the kind of prices I should be asking from the different sizes. I've never sold per print I just charge day rates. Are there some other threads on this that maybe I should be looking at? Or some documentation? I did a search and couldn't come up with much.

Dom
    l

Let's see , my local CVS charges 46 cents for a 4x6 and $3.99 for an 8x10.
  • Options
    OutdoorStudiosOutdoorStudios Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    It really is a personal preference, but if you are looking for a basic starting point, you can try what I did for just basic generic prints.

I use Bay Photo and I have opted in for the Color Correction.
    Set your price to SM Defaults for all products.
    Then set a 100% increase on all products.
    Then I adjusted the 4x6 and 5x7 and bumped them up a bit.

For me, this is a good basic price point that I use for everything that doesn't require too much work on my part.

If I am going to add basic retouch to the images, I have a separate plan that is a 200% increase then I $3.50/photo.

I am stuck on how to charge for major retouching (I get $60/hr) but I have posted that in another thread.

I hope this is helpful.
    Warm Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino
    http://www.outdoorstudios.net
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Glort wrote:
    6x4 $12

5x7 $22

8x10 $34

16x 20 $51

30x40 $295

I hope this helps even though these numbers are totally irrelevant and just off the top of my head. You wanted numbers rather than specific and meaningful help as was tried to be offered so now you have some.

Good luck!

Thanks,
    But I'm not looking for numbers, just a place I can add my own.
    Warm Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Is this the information you are looking for?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    I don't mean to be rude, but what on tis page did you think would give me the ability to add my own line item to the checkout process?
    Warm Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 17, 2009
    I don't mean to be rude, but what on tis page did you think would give me the ability to add my own line item to the checkout process?

I think GLORT and BRADFORD were responding to domromer, who started this thread, and not to you?
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    I think GLORT and BRADFORD were responding to domromer, who started this thread, and not to you?

Duh, I truly can be a moron sometimes.
    I thoght this was my other post!
    Warm Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    It really is a personal preference, but if you are looking for a basic starting point, you can try what I did for just basic generic prints.

I use Bay Photo and I have opted in for the Color Correction.
    Set your price to SM Defaults for all products.
    Then set a 100% increase on all products.
    Then I adjusted the 4x6 and 5x7 and bumped them up a bit.

For me, this is a good basic price point that I use for everything that doesn't require too much work on my part.

If I am going to add basic retouch to the images, I have a separate plan that is a 200% increase then I $3.50/photo.

I am stuck on how to charge for major retouching (I get $60/hr) but I have posted that in another thread.

I hope this is helpful.

With these price points, how are your sales?
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    For the event photography this works very well.
    For example, if I am shooting a motorcycle race or whatnot, I am competing with other photographers trying to sell 8x10s for $20 bucks. And for some time I did the same, and I did "ok".

However, as soon as I drooped my 11x14s under the other's 8x10 prices, I sold DOUBLE the amount of prints and my profit margin is more than DOUBLE that of the 8x10 - the math really works out in my favor. On top of that, I am now seeing more orders for other print sizes and even T-Shirts, where in the past it was usually just one 8x10.

Also, I have developed a following prices. If I am out at the events, the drivers/riders know who I am now and, well, they have a tendency to show off more in front of my lens. Also, I have better relations with the the event coordinators and I can typically get the premium spots to shoot.

Long story short - at this price point, I can make $500-$600 bucks for 2 hours work shooting an event on the weekend. (I'm ok with that!)

Portraits, now this is a different story. I have just started shooting these (I only have done 3) and I have started with my existing model, but there is so much more post processing that needs to be done that I have raise my prices by 200% and then added a $3.50/print charge. So far so good - but right now I am also stuck in trying to add in additional retouching services...

Let me add one not: I am in the process of removing some of the odd sized prints and having all of them on the cart seems to really overwhelm the person trying to make that purchasing decision.
    Warm Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    For the event photography this works very well.
    For example, if I am shooting a motorcycle race or whatnot, I am competing with other photographers trying to sell 8x10s for $20 bucks. And for some time I did the same, and I did "ok".

However, as soon as I drooped my 11x14s under the other's 8x10 prices, I sold DOUBLE the amount of prints and my profit margin is more than DOUBLE that of the 8x10 - the math really works out in my favor. On top of that, I am now seeing more orders for other print sizes and even T-Shirts, where in the past it was usually just one 8x10.

Also, I have developed a following prices. If I am out at the events, the drivers/riders know who I am now and, well, they have a tendency to show off more in front of my lens. Also, I have better relations with the the event coordinators and I can typically get the premium spots to shoot.

Long story short - at this price point, I can make $500-$600 bucks for 2 hours work shooting an event on the weekend. (I'm ok with that!)

Portraits, now this is a different story. I have just started shooting these (I only have done 3) and I have started with my existing model, but there is so much more post processing that needs to be done that I have raise my prices by 200% and then added a $3.50/print charge. So far so good - but right now I am also stuck in trying to add in additional retouching services...

Let me add one not: I am in the process of removing some of the odd sized prints and having all of them on the cart seems to really overwhelm the person trying to make that purchasing decision.

Are you printing at the event or is this all through your website?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    Are you printing at the event or is this all through your website?

All prints are through the website. I hand out cheep business cards while at the event. I get them form VistaPrint and they cost me very little. On the card is a URL to all the events: http://www.outdoorstudios.net/clients and that is where they find their Gallery Link. (This gives me one place to send everyone)

Also on the cards is text that reads Event Code: __________ this is where I will had write in a passcode for the event should the event coordinator or I deem it necessary.

I am now adding in Discount Code: __________ to my next set of cards, so that I can offer discounts.

I am in the process of setting up a form on my site that I can send people to and have them "pre-register" for the event and I will give them a discount for doing so. This way I can start collecting their email information before the event even goes live!

One thing I like to do is offer the Event Host a discount for allowing me to come shoot. This way he/she feels like he is getting something in return. I will also ask the host allow me to send him/her an email after the photos are posted so that he/she can forward this to all folks involved. (Sometimes they just send me the email list)

One note here: I just dumped Pictage and I have not moved all my events over yet.
    Warm Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2009
    So I just put up the Guest Registry Form (version 1)

http://www.outdoorstudios.net/register

It's not perfect, but it;s a start.
    Warm Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino