Options

Does anyone think this would work.....

Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
edited January 2, 2010 in Accessories
....or should I just get a purpose built gear pack? I am thinking of buying this bag, adding a solid block of foam to the main compartment and cutting out what I need to fit my gear. I know it's doable, but, I'm I talking crazy or is this a decent idea? The price of the higher end purpose built gear packs is astounding and isn't really in the budget right now.

Do to some connections, I can get a SMOKING price on the pictured pack and tailor it to my needs. Thoughts?

UU9746_010_LRG.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    how much is this?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    I can purchase it new for $70 shipped.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    I would not carry camera gear in this.
    The straps dont look like they can hold up over time with camera gear weights.

Find something with padding and you wont be sorry to have spent $50 more
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Hmm.....I've seen the bag in person and don't believe this would be an issue. Any other reasons you can think this would be an issue? Protection is really the only think I was concerned about but thought with a proper block of medium density foam it wouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    B&H has some good prices right now.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    I think the biggest reason for me would be gear digging in my back and Im sure I would get sick of wrapping lenses up to protect them from bumping around in the pack...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    B&H has some good prices right now.

I know....there are more than one I'm lusting over :D:D
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    I guess what I'm looking for is something that will carry my D90, 3-4 lenses and a tripod. I want it to be more of a hiking/outdoors style daypack. I have a few ideas in mind and I'm open to suggestions aling these lines if anyone has experience.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    look for a well padded back, and a thick waist padded strap. oh and make sure it comes with a rain coat....

$$$ in gear, protect it with $$$ in a pack.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    why do you want it styled like a standard backpack??

Sling bags are much more comfortable, secure and can be gotten into while they are on your body.......backpacks have to be removed to open and get into....and leaves you asking to be mugged........

belt systems are even more comfortable and secure.....
    currently I use a belt system that has 2 lowepro toploader 75AW's for camera's with lenses (D300+ 18-200 and sigma50-500) 1 cam+1lens to a bag.....there is room for carrying other small lenses and flash units and other stuff....trip[od still goes around back on its own strap......this is my set up for hiking and motorcycling......extremely secure unless I am totally knocked unconcious and then it is removed......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    $$$ in gear, protect it with $$$ in a pack.

A very good point that should probably be my #1 consideration. Thanks Aaron.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Thanks for the comments art. The main reason I want a backpack style is that I've had many other bags, including a 75AW and my current belt-style Mountainsmith TourFX. I like the mountainsmith but I'm over having the thing slung around my waist. I want to be able to pack everything comfortably and basically not consider it as I'm hiking or walking.

FWIW, someone better have a loaded gun and be prepared to use it if they thought they were going to touch my camera gear as I was in my bag or changing lenses, etc. Being 6'0" and about 235 I'm pretty confident in my abilities to defend myself and my property. It would have to be someone pretty serious about stealing my stuff for that to be a consideration in my bag purchase but definitely something for some to consider so the point is surely valid.

Thanks again for the comments. Do you have any pics of your setup? Do you use it with an over shoulder harness?
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I use a KATA 3N1. Hands down the best bag I've ever seen or used. And not much more $ than the one you were looking at.

I think it would fit your needs quite well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562234-REG/Kata_KT_D_3N1_20_3_in_1_Sling.html
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I don't know what kind of or how much gear you have, but I bought this one a while back and it works perfectly for me and it's only $50. Check here for bags from 24.95 up to how ever much you want to spend. Most of the dividers are Velcro so you can configure the compartments any way you want.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    I guess what I'm looking for is something that will carry my D90, 3-4 lenses and a tripod. I want it to be more of a hiking/outdoors style daypack. I have a few ideas in mind and I'm open to suggestions aling these lines if anyone has experience.

one last point of mine... my next bag will have a tripod holder and straps on the side. my current pack sets the tripod center on the back and is always getting hung up on branches and crap like that.....that really gets on my nerves.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    I use a KATA 3N1. Hands down the best bag I've ever seen or used. And not much more $ than the one you were looking at.

I think it would fit your needs quite well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562234-REG/Kata_KT_D_3N1_20_3_in_1_Sling.html

I was looking at a few Kata's locally...they're sweet. I definitely prefer the backpack vs. slingpack though.
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    I was looking at a few Kata's locally...they're sweet. I definitely prefer the backpack vs. slingpack though.

The 3-N-1 bags can be carried in backpack or sling configurations. Watch the trailer video here for more info:
    http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=Photo&p_Id=432&mp_mID=19#p7GPc1_4
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:

Check out F/Stop bags, or Clik. They are more. But you are buying what you are looking for with them. I wouldn't go with that other bag unless you can find an internal camera unit from another bag to go in there. I have done the wrap stuff in clothes or sleeping bag thing, and while I have never broke anything, I don't enjoy doing it this way. I want piece of mind. Especially with a couple thousand dollars in gear out in the elements for days.

-Andy
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Here is F/stop's link:

http://www.fstopgear.com/

Clik:
    http://www.clikelite.com/

Or Burton makes a bag called the F-stop, but is currently sold out through them. A google search yielded results for re-sellers that still have them in stock. Zappos had a couple, as did a few others.

http://www.burton.com/mens-bags-luggage-packs-f-stop-pack-28L/220766,default,pd.html?dwvar_220766_variationColor=002&start=25&cgid=mens-bags-luggage-packs

Here is a cheaper option for whatever bag you go with besides the one's above:

http://www.digicamhelp.com/accessories/camera-bags/domke-dslr-camera-insert/

Or F/stop sells just the Internal Camera Unit, which you could also put into a bag of your choice.

-Andy
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:

Depending on the size of the lenses in question, a simple Tamrac bag would work great for you. I use this one to carry my D90 with Tamron 17-50 2.8 + hood, SB-600 (if not carrying flash, it could hold another lens or two), 55-200 VR, 50 1.8, and 35 1.8. The tripod straps to the outside, and there is enough room inside to carry extra batteries, remotes, filters, spare memory cards, plus outside pouches for reference guides, etc. I've carried it on many day trips, walking all around Boston, etc. It's small and light enough to be comfortable and lets me bring all my gear along. Plus, it's only $80.

IMG_25538.jpg

I'm very happy with it, I plan to add a WA lens like a Sigma 10-20, and that should fit along with all the gear that's currently in there. However, if you have larger pro lenses, this could get pretty small pretty fast. And, it does not have solid walls, so the protection if offers isn't absolute.

I do concur with Art, however, that often a sling type bag would be much more convenient. It's sometimes annoying to have to take it off and find a place to open it just to change a lens. I will likely get a sling pack as well to facilitate trips where I just want to bring the body and 1-2 lenses + flash.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I'm probably late to this...but my .02:

I went through the selection process early on this year. I needed it to hold a laptop as well, so I went with a Tamrac backpack style:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584106-REG/Tamrac_338513_3385_Aero_Speed_Pack.html

It accommodates my 7D, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 50mm, 11-16mm, hoods, multiple NDs, CPF, batteries, 15" laptop (but larger laptop would fit), and then non-photo related items in the top compartment.

Pros: very durable. doesn't look like a camera gear bag. perfect carry-on size for flights.
    Cons: not super comfy with a laptop in it. HEAVY...not the bag's fault though. I think the last time I filled it up it was at ~27lbs.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    I have the similar idea. Convert couple of old backpack to carry the big stuffs.

It is not because of saving the money, but don't want the big eyes on my gears in the airport and train when I travel overseas.

Just want to share couple of my experience:
    1. Built a frame in the backpack - find a suitable size plastic box as the internal frame and glue some close cell foam to create the compartments or mould it to fit the gears so that the it will be more stable and will not be squashed.
    2. Or, put the lenses and accessories in the lens case or accessories pouch. Use the velcro and strips to secure in proper positions. Once arrived, take out the gears and mount on the belt or vest for fast access, then stuff the daily accessories (clothings, drinks, food and back up gears in the backpack for the day trip).
    3. Consider a portable trolley to move the big bag around, it may not be light after fully load.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Adapting a backpack
    I have a similar pack to yours (mine has heavier straps, appears to have heavier fabric, zippers) that I adapted with a large foam black that I cut appropriate cavities in, years ago. It DID hold the lenses, nothng broke, but the balance was never quite right. I eventualy bought a LowePro Micro trekker, which was perfect for the equipment I carry. I should never have bothered trying to save a few$, and bought the right photo backpack to begin with. I often see packs on sale here or at Fred Miranda at good prices. TheLowePro pack I have holds camera lenses, and tripod, all well balanced.
    Stan
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Well, I did it, but with a Mountain Hardwear Wyaback. It unzips in the back and was perfect for a piece of 5" high density foam. Contoured the foam and cut out the appropriate sections for me gear. It works well and got its first test yesterday. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it and think it was worth the effort. It might be somewhat limited for more gear than what's in it now but for day trips it's completely sufficient.

After this experience, I think I would recommend someone sticking to purpose built camera bags and finding one that works. It's a shame a high end hiking/mountaineering company hasn't stepped up and made a well functioning, good looking, high performance day hiking back with all the features of a normal day hiker.

Maybe someday.
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Well, I did it, but with a Mountain Hardwear Wyaback. It unzips in the back and was perfect for a piece of 5" high density foam. Contoured the foam and cut out the appropriate sections for me gear. It works well and got its first test yesterday. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it and think it was worth the effort. It might be somewhat limited for more gear than what's in it now but for day trips it's completely sufficient.

After this experience, I think I would recommend someone sticking to purpose built camera bags and finding one that works. It's a shame a high end hiking/mountaineering company hasn't stepped up and made a well functioning, good looking, high performance day hiking back with all the features of a normal day hiker.

Maybe someday.

The camera bag company did expand to the hiking gears. Recently, there are so many hydrid camera backpack with top compartment for the day trip accessories. But it is not a really designed for hiking. Those bags are usually wider, heavy and limited space for camera gears.

May be we should make our own design and sell it back to those companies
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/