Options

Model Release

CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I am getting back into portrait work and need to update my model release. I want to get the general terms but also make sure it covers posting pictures on my web site and entering pictures in contests. Does anyone have a source for releases that they would recommend or a template that they are willing to share?
Thanks,
David

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Do a quick Google search and you'll have plenty to choose from on the first page. Download a .pdf and revise it for your application.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    burntpixelburntpixel Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Caspian wrote:
    I am getting back into portrait work and need to update my model release. I want to get the general terms but also make sure it covers posting pictures on my web site and entering pictures in contests. Does anyone have a source for releases that they would recommend or a template that they are willing to share?
    Thanks,
    David
    David,
    This is my contract/release kind of rolled into one. I have replaced my business name and name with XXX and the state with XXXX.

Hope this helps ?

This contract sets forth the agreement between ______________________________________
    (hereinafter referred to as “Client”) and XXX Photography (hereinafter referred to as “Photographer”), in the State of XXXX, relating to photography services.

1. Sitting Fee, Payment Terms and Conditions: The sitting fee will cover up to 1 hour of
    service (also referred to as a “session”). The Client shall pay in full the remaining of the balance
    of the $XXX sitting fee and any additional services incurred by the day the photography
    services are rendered at the end of the photography session. Any additional time required past 1 hour will be charged at $XXX per hour (rounded up to the closest half-hour). Payment must be
    made using CASH, PERSONAL CHECK or ELECTRONIC PAYMENT (i.e. PAYPAL). Please
    make checks payable to XXX. A paper or electronic receipt shall be provided by the Photographer to the Client for any and all payments.

2. Deposit: Client understands that a non-refundable deposit of $XXX is required to reserve
    Photographer’s services for the agreed upon date and time.

3. Chargeable Time: Chargeable time is time the Photographer uses in order to determine the
    final price of the photography session. Chargeable time begins when Photographer arrives at
    the agreed upon location of the photography session and ends when both parties agree that the
    photography session is over.

4. Cancellation Policy: Client understands that if the event is cancelled or postponed, the
    deposit is nonrefundable. XXX Photography will make every effort to accommodate postponements as long as there are no scheduling conflicts.

5. NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT and Reproduction: All images and copyrights are the
    property of XXX Photography. XXX Photography retains the right to sell, copy, display, and/or publishes any/all images created under this agreement, to the general
    public, for any reason, including but not limited to: advertising, marketing, sales, print
    competitions, educational seminars, and monetary gain. The mediums for display could include
    newspapers, magazines, books, television, and the internet, but are not limited to only those
    mediums. The Photographer retains these rights even if image files are turned over to the
    Client.

6. Completion of Pictures: Client understands that under normal circumstances portrait
    pictures will be available within 15 business days after the date of the photography session.
    Proofs shall be made available online or via CD. Under normal circumstances, a minimum of 30 photographs will be taken of which at least 15 will be available for Client as proofs.

7. Client’s Usage: The Client is obtaining prints for personal use only, and shall not sell said
    prints or authorize any reproductions thereof by parties other than the Photographer. It is a
    violation of federal copyright law to allow photographs created by XXX Photography to be digitally reproduced, copied or scanned without written permission. Any use for general public or for monetary gain will be considered copyright infringement. The Client must obtain
    written permission from XXX and compensate XXX Photography prior to the Client or their friends and family publishing or selling the photographs for profit.

8. Limited Liability: If the Photographer cannot perform this Agreement due to a fire or other
    casualty, strike, act of nature or other cause beyond the control of the parties involved (including
    inclement weather), or due to illness of Photographer, then any deposit will be returned to the
    Client but the Photographer shall have no further liability with respect to the Agreement. If the
    Client wishes, another sitting can be scheduled. This limitation on liability shall also apply in the
    event that photographic materials are damaged in processing, lost through camera malfunction,
    lost in the mail, or otherwise lost or damaged without fault on the part of the Photographer. In
    such cases of outside circumstances, the Photographer is not liable and the Client shall only be
    entitled to a refund of their deposit and sitting fee (if paid to the Photographer).

9. Miscellaneous: This Agreement incorporates the entire understanding of the parties. Any
    modifications of this agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties. Any waiver of a
    breach or default hereunder shall not be deemed a waiver of a subsequent breach or default of
    either the same provision or any other provision of this Agreement. The laws of the State of
    XXXX shall govern this Agreement. No changes may be made to this agreement without prior authorization. All changes must be initialed and dated by both XXX and the Client.
    The undersigned have read and agree to all the terms on all the pages of this contract.
    Photographer (Signed): _______________________________________
    Client (Print): ______________________________________________
    Client (Signed): _____________________________________________
    Telephone: ________________________________________________
    Date: __________________________________________________ __

Deposit paid at signing: $____________________ via
    ( CASH | CHECK | ELECTRONIC PAYMENT | OTHER: Specify ________________)
    balance due on or before _______________ $_________________
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Do a quick Google search and you'll have plenty to choose from on the first page. Download a .pdf and revise it for your application.
    Well, duh! I search Google for everything else and didn't think about it for a model release. I will run the search and see what I get.
    Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Burntpixel,
    Thank you for sharing your model release.
    David
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Since this is not about photos but releases, I've moved this to the Mind Your Own Business forum.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 17, 2009
    and guess what? no need for Google either because you can find what you want right here.

At the top of the MYOB forum there's a STICKY thread titled: "Photographer's Resources"

A quick visit there will reveal at least 4 links to model release matters.