Options

Should i buy this tripod in the next 3 hours ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited July 2, 2005 in Accessories
Guys i know nothing about tripods 'ceptin andy dissed my $40 job in yosemite. Now i was thinking of paying about $150 0z for one 2nd hand so thats about $112 yank. This one is currently at $112 0z ($85 yank)

A good deal for my 20D & 135mm ?

Gus

Comments

• Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    2 hours 43 mins...ne_nau.gif anyone got an opinion ?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    Gus,

Price looks ok. Goes for $294 (oz).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    I don't know the head, so I can't really comment on that. From images I found based on the description, it looks sturdy enough, but that's about all I know. ne_nau.gif

I have used Manfrotto 055 legs, and they're very well built and easy to set up. That was one with the levers to lock and unlock the legs, and I can't exactly figure out from the images what locks this one has. I would stay away from the turn knobs if I were you, since these add too much time in setting up your tripod. I found the regular 055 a bit heavy to carry along with me on a hike, but then again, I'm not that much of an athlete. And as they say: weight on a tripod is good, as long as it doesn't make you leave the tripod behind.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    Ta mate..i chased it to $155 so we will see what happens.

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    I don't know the head, so I can't really comment on that. From images I found based on the description, it looks sturdy enough, but that's about all I know. ne_nau.gif

I have used Manfrotto 055 legs, and they're very well built and easy to set up. That was one with the levers to lock and unlock the legs, and I can't exactly figure out from the images what locks this one has. I would stay away from the turn knobs if I were you, since these add too much time in setting up your tripod. I found the regular 055 a bit heavy to carry along with me on a hike, but then again, I'm not that much of an athlete. And as they say: weight on a tripod is good, as long as it doesn't make you leave the tripod behind.
    Thanks for the input marlof...heavy is ok with me as it can always double as a weapon.

Gus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ta mate..i chased it to $155 so we will see what happens.

Gus
    $222.85(oz) winning bid. Not much of a savings :D

The head's an ok head. It's simple to operate and stable.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Guys i know nothing about tripods 'ceptin andy dissed my $40 job in yosemite. Now i was thinking of paying about $150 0z for one 2nd hand so thats about $112 yank. This one is currently at $112 0z ($85 yank)

A good deal for my 20D & 135mm ?

Gus
    I have one that cost about 100.00 southern USA, guess it came from the yankee part.

Anyway, haha, I can't afford to pay more, mine is a good brand, that manfrotto whatever that everyone talks about. I would not buy one for that...........more, you want to pay as much as possible.

I don't use mine. I realized that I had as much shake from the "camera" on the tripod as I do handheld. (the moon, last summer).

So, I would either do it, or not. I expect to borrow one from my husband's work if I have to have one, not going to pay mega bucks right now, don't have it. But it is amazing that a 100.00 tripod would "shake". Unbelieveable to me who comes from a time when 100.00 was something big, especially for a tripod.

ginger (I do use my monopod, sometimes) The monopod was about 120.00, same maker.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    better to spend more
    Buy the right tripod and it will last you a lifetime.

More is more with tripods-you need a fair amount of weight if you are going to use a non image stabilised telephoto outdoors,along with spiked feet.

A manfrotto art 190(Bogen in US-ha ha) is quite versatile as a starter and gets down low and splayed for macros etc- i would like it to go a little higher though as I am quite tall and could make use of the height in some cases.

If you want more versatility look for benbo mini trekker II,or the larger benbos.

The manfrotto trekker is also pretty good-its really just an art 190 with some waterproofing ,camouflage and spiked feet.

If you are hiking for days on end with camera gear ,tripod,tent etc then you will have to go with a carbon fibre tripod eg gitzo (pricey) or manfrotto carbon fibre legs or something similar.

If not, I would stick with something heavier.

Also I use an extra heavy duty tilt and shift head for portraits and landscape and infrareds.It will never break and can accommodate larger cameras and lenses as I become a cursed gear head.

I would only think about a ball head if i was shooting lots of birds etc or sports

good luck

gc
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Gus,

I have a Manfrotto 3001BPRO 1.9 kg, and the Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head, 0.67 kg. The B in the model designation simly means you can position the center shaft in a horozontal position in addition to the normal vertical orientation. Good for macros and other things.

Ok after looking at the specs I see the 055PRO is a little taller. This would be a better buy for you, and weighs in at 5.29 kg.

Good quality and well built, should out last me. I am not sorry i spent the $$ to get them.

With the legs exstended and ball head attached, it would be an efective wepon, albeit brutal.

Sam
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    I know it's too late for that one, but the 055 pro was what I wanted to buy, but add to that a decent ball head for about the same $ as the tripod, and the L bracket for about the same again, and I chickened out... Regrets? Yes plenty it's a good base.

Keep looking, you will find one at the right price

Cheers

Stan
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    Thanks for the input everyone. Im just not one for fuss. The other night shooting the bands i ended up using my $40 special like a mono & that possibly reflects its cheapness. Man it got a wobble up with the L135 on it...sort of went into a resonance. I had to stop it toppling with my hand & that lens is too dear to my heart to risk.

I just dont want clutter...heavy is fine but none of those weights hanging out. That one i was looking at as ian pointed out went for too much for a 2nd handy.

Ebay can creat a fever that you have to distance yourself from. Might try over at FM (yes...i said FM waxy mwink.gif ) Im sure you will look after the buying & postage for me via paypal (yuk..i said paypal)

Gus (whom is 1 hour away from facing another punk crowd)