Options

Images that show up on Facebook and others...

bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
edited December 19, 2009 in Weddings
This has probably been covered before, but a quick search didn't yield many results...

When you guys give your CD/DVD to your client and your photos show up on Facebook or other sites, how do you feel? Do you have a provision built into the contract to credit you on Social Networking sites? Or since you gave them the personal use rights, that is that?

I was thinking of re-writing my contract to cover this, but wanted some input first. Not sure how I feel about this one. Thanks for any input :thumb

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Provisions for specifying to credit my work that they are posting on facebook or other social networking sites. :)
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I only allow a limited number of photos on there + photos must either have my logo, or be in a folder, that gives me photo credit.

Been doing this for way too long, people will take advantage of having the digital files, and create huge folders, where their friends & family will download pics. I *do* think it's a great marketing tool, if you use it wisely, but I prefer to set some limits to not have it get out of control.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I quickly post a selection of images on my blog (watermarked) and encourage everyone to share them on facebook, myspace, etc with anyone and everyone. When I deliver the images on disc, my only restrictions are that they cannot use them for profit or to enter a contest. By that time, I've been paid in full for my work and I'd rather more people see it.
  • Options
    elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I quickly post a selection of images on my blog (watermarked) and encourage everyone to share them on facebook, myspace, etc with anyone and everyone. When I deliver the images on disc, my only restrictions are that they cannot use them for profit or to enter a contest. By that time, I've been paid in full for my work and I'd rather more people see it.

I do this too!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I send out a preview set prior to the full set and they are all shrunk down with a watermark. I encourage people to post to facebook, email, myspace, or whatever. As Agnieszka said it can be great advertising. When I deliver my digital files I give them 2 sets, 1 full res for printing and another low-res with watermark for on-line use. I explain to them why I do it, how to use them, and that it protects all of us.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies, good stuff here!
    mmmatt wrote:
    I send out a preview set prior to the full set and they are all shrunk down with a watermark. I encourage people to post to facebook, email, myspace, or whatever. As Agnieszka said it can be great advertising. When I deliver my digital files I give them 2 sets, 1 full res for printing and another low-res with watermark for on-line use. I explain to them why I do it, how to use them, and that it protects all of us.

Matt

I like this idea, do you stipulate it in your contract at all?
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Every wedding I shoot includes a cd of all of the edited proofs sized to 400x600 at 72 dpi with my website address imprinted on them. The images cannot be printed at that size without looking like a postage stamp. The clients post them to their social networking pages and, to me, it's a little like giving your client a stack of business cards and letting them hand them out to their friends.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    Test-PilotTest-Pilot Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Surfdog wrote:
    Every wedding I shoot includes a cd of all of the edited proofs sized to 400x600 at 72 dpi with my website address imprinted on them. The images cannot be printed at that size without looking like a postage stamp. The clients post them to their social networking pages and, to me, it's a little like giving your client a stack of business cards and letting them hand them out to their friends.
    Perfect!
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I post 'em
    I post images on facebook right away and have the client tag themselves. It's got my big old logo on it. I stir up interest too since I am a part of the party. I also use Simple Smug and activate sharing until it's on my newsfeed and then I go in and set my gallery to no longer share. I've had a lot of buzz and business from doing that.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:

Matt

How does it protect them?
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I post images on facebook right away and have the client tag themselves. It's got my big old logo on it. I stir up interest too since I am a part of the party. I also use Simple Smug and activate sharing until it's on my newsfeed and then I go in and set my gallery to no longer share. I've had a lot of buzz and business from doing that.

I would like to know more about SS and how you activate sharing until it's on your newsfeed. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'd like to :)
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Pro Account
    I have a Pro Account.

I upload to my Smugmug gallery with the setting to allow posting elsewhere
    Go to Simple Smug and it will appear in my newsfeed. - Just thumbnails and gallery description

Then I go back and edit the gallery settings to not allow sharing.
    All my galleries are watermarked and click protected
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    I give them a disc with the rights to get the pictures printed where they would like, so they do show up on occasion after I have given them the disc.

Before I am done with the set, I will add 20 of my favorites to my fan page and tag them in the pictures. All of these pictures have my watermark on them with my website listed. They get tagged in the pictures, then 20 of their friends comment on how beautiful the bride looked that day, how great the pictures turned out, how happy they look, ect. I feel this is free advertising to all of the bride/groom's friends.

By the time they post pictures themselves, most of their friends have already seen the pictures with the watermarks, so they know who took them. I just see it as free advertising. I hope this helps :ivar

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    How does it protect them?
    Watermark will help the picture not be used out of their control or mine. Wouldn't you be upset if your wedding picture was used on some vendors brochure without your knowledge? Plus my contract specifically states that they can't do that so using watermarked images protects them from breaking our contract.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->If client is to receive personal use copyright for images from the event, then the client may print and distribute images free of charge to friends, family, and attendees of the event. Client may give prints, copy DVD image data, email images, or use images on their personal web pages. Client may also direct friends or family to the image gallery on the photographer’s website to view or purchase prints. At no time may images or prints of images be sold or made available through mass publication by the client. Photographer maintains the sole right to sell images through his website or otherwise, for either personal or commercial use. Images may also be used by photographer for general display, including marketing, contest submission, or educational purposes.<o:p></o:p>
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    I also initially post a sampling on my blog and facebook and tag the clients.

Then, when I deliver the images I put the images in two separate folders, one that says for facebook (or something like that) and one that says for printing. The printing ones I make sure are quite large. If they will fit I put them as .tiff which makes it a pain to post on facebook, but for printing is great. The facebook ones I size to about 600x400 and watermark them.

I figure I can't really stop them from posting the non watermarked images, but I can make it easier for them to post the ones I want them to post. I've found it tends to work pretty well so far.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2009
    Thanks again for the replies and ideas. I think I will probably lean toward giving them two folders with as some have suggested.

I toiled with putting something in the contract, but ultimately have decided against it.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Social networking sites are your friends!!!! Mostly.

If I show up somewhere as a guest and bring the camera, everybody knows pictures will go up on my personal Facebook within a few days (sometimes as early as that afternoon).

If I get paid to take the pictures, then they get watermarked and go up on my business Facebook page with client tagged in every shot.

Think of it as free advertising, really. Most said that it's like business cards, when in fact, it's better. A business card would just have your contact information on it and maybe a picture or two... client's photos on Facebook show them your work PLUS a way to contact you and it reaches all over the place.

Besides, if you start seeing your pictures on Facebook everywhere, create a business Facebook page and offer 20% off a sitting fee to anybody who found you through Facebook.

I would say as long as you were credited then it's ok, otherwise, it's stealing.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Don't care, I get some free advertising out of it when they tell their friends who took the photos.
    It is going to happen.
  • Options
    Already FamousAlready Famous Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 16, 2009
    dawssvt wrote:
    Before I am done with the set, I will add 20 of my favorites to my fan page and tag them in the pictures. All of these pictures have my watermark on them with my website listed.

This is basically what I do as well, but how do you tag them in the photos on your fan page? Do they have to be added as friends in your personal profile? Or just fans of the page?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    they have to be added as friends on your personal profile (unfortunately). I have thought about creating a business/personal facebook account for this very reason.

It's either that or give them a link and have them tag themselves.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    I encourage them to post a few & then link to my website! :) Also, I provide a folder of pictures specifically for Facebook/internet use. I watermark them & size them for the internet. I figure, they'll probably do it anyhow so I might as well make sure they do it right! :) I include specific instructions in my contract as to what they can use the "personal use rights" for. I've not had a problem yet!
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    NateWagner wrote:
    they have to be added as friends on your personal profile (unfortunately). I have thought about creating a business/personal facebook account for this very reason.
    It's either that or give them a link and have them tag themselves.

Careful...I've read that using multiple Facebook accounts can get someone banned. But I was not able to find this in their terms of use, so it should be researched further.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Careful...I've read that using multiple Facebook accounts can get someone banned. But I was not able to find this in their terms of use, so it should be researched further.

You can create a business page and have your personal account as well. Also you can decide the amount of information that people can or can't once they have been added as your friends.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2009
    I do have a business page (fan page?) and a personal page. The problem is that the fan page can not tag people in photos that I am not (on my personal page) friends with.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment