Options

Book seller

PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited December 19, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Hey guys, I'd like some C&C on this photo I took over the summer. Cheers.

742916376_dbvyM-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Comment:

I love this shot.
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    This shot has a lot going for it--primo lighting, nice B&W, interesting content--and can be improved significantly with some changes.

I think you've captured too wide a scope visually. If this was your signature style, I'd be less critical, but judging from your website, it is not.

The bookseller is pretty diminished by the wide POV. To me the graffiti behind him dominates the shot. If that's your intention, then cool. But I would prefer more of a focus on the person. Perhaps a crop of 25% on the right side, 10% on the left, and 25% on the top would make him more. I really like the flooring.

Finally, it would have been nice to have had a more direct look at the man's face and bearing. This is a tad too safe to me, but I still like the potential and the technical rendering.

M
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    This is an excellent shot. I disagree with Miguel in so much that I feel the composition is spot on. The story for me resides almost completely in the juxtaposition between the graffiti and the books, not to mention the disinterest or disdain of the seller himself.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Very nice. Maybe a slightly lower camera angle would be a little more intimate. But very nice all the same.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    damonff wrote:
    Comment:

I love this shot.

Excellent! I like the sense of isolation created by the distance, and, as Jen noted, the juxtaposition of the graffiti and the books. Really nice!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    yeah man, great shot! negative space is cool and break those rules. love it. don't change a thing :))
  • Options
    kelvinkelvin Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    This shot has a lot going for it--primo lighting, nice B&W, interesting content--and can be improved significantly with some changes.

I think you've captured too wide a scope visually. If this was your signature style, I'd be less critical, but judging from your website, it is not.

The bookseller is pretty diminished by the wide POV. To me the graffiti behind him dominates the shot. If that's your intention, then cool. But I would prefer more of a focus on the person. Perhaps a crop of 25% on the right side, 10% on the left, and 25% on the top would make him more. I really like the flooring.

Finally, it would have been nice to have had a more direct look at the man's face and bearing. This is a tad too safe to me, but I still like the potential and the technical rendering.

M

wow, great shot, great story.... Composition is spot on, tells us even in urban america the power of the book, the joy of reading is alive and well.... Good Job!