Options

Looking for a good on-line developer/host.

GeneralZodGeneralZod Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 21, 2009 in Finishing School
I'm working on leaving my WAY over priced on-line host and printer/developer. Who do you use to host your images and develop your prints? And would you recommend them? (I work on a Mac in RGB)

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 16, 2009
    Many of us here are quite pleased with Smugmug as a host, and their online printing resources ( which includes EZ Prints, and Bay Photo I believe ). What services have you been using and why are you wanting to change?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    GeneralZod wrote:
    I'm working on leaving my WAY over priced on-line host and printer/developer. Who do you use to host your images and develop your prints? And would you recommend them? (I work on a Mac in RGB)

For a host, I don't see how you can beat SmugMug at $39.95 a year. Not only good hosting, but you get to set up galleries without having to learn HTML. You can easily get and send links to an individual photo, a gallery, or all of your galleries by email.

Who to use on prints depends on what you're printing. I print some at home on an Epson inkjet, but if I need several copies I use Costco. At 13 cents for a 4 x 6, they are fine for family snaps. An 8 x 10 is like a $1.50. I prefer the lustre finish. I upload them online and pick them up at the store in a couple of hours.

If you're doing "art" prints, you might want to use a better source. I've used a local photo processor for these. I've never tried the SmugMug sources.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    GeneralZodGeneralZod Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going with SmugMug. Happy to make the switch. Thanks guys!
    TonyCooper wrote:
    For a host, I don't see how you can beat SmugMug at $39.95 a year. Not only good hosting, but you get to set up galleries without having to learn HTML. You can easily get and send links to an individual photo, a gallery, or all of your galleries by email.

Who to use on prints depends on what you're printing. I print some at home on an Epson inkjet, but if I need several copies I use Costco. At 13 cents for a 4 x 6, they are fine for family snaps. An 8 x 10 is like a $1.50. I prefer the lustre finish. I upload them online and pick them up at the store in a couple of hours.

If you're doing "art" prints, you might want to use a better source. I've used a local photo processor for these. I've never tried the SmugMug sources.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 21, 2009
    Welcome aboard!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009