Options

Blitzing through Olympic National Park

seaelvenseaelven Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited July 2, 2005 in Landscapes
I got back from visiting Seattle two weeks ago and I thought I'd share some photos from the trip. Please feel free to post any sort of feedback. One of the last days in Washington I decided to haul my camera and my boyfriend (the camera assistant) to the Olympic National park. This first photo is of Marymere falls.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Fuzzy trees
    This one was taken on the trail as we were headed to Marymere falls.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Do you have any more?
    Love the shots!! I'm planning a trip out there in late summer. Do you have any other shots you can share or a link to your site?

-Adam

www.adamstravelphotography.com
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    How was Olympic Park? I'm also planning a trip up there late summer. Thought doing some whitewater rafting would be fun.

Erich
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    I live in Tacoma so if you guys want any info or whatever just let me know.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Cool. Just wandering if the river rafting is a good trip and what other areas to check out at the National Park.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    grimace wrote:
    Love the shots!! I'm planning a trip out there in late summer. Do you have any other shots you can share or a link to your site?

-Adam

www.adamstravelphotography.com
    Yeah, I can post more, it may be a day or three. I took all film while I was out there, so I will totally scan more. The places I would recomend going to are the Hoh rainforest, Sol Duc Falls, and the Enchanted Valley. I had planned to see those places but didn't because I didn't have enough time. It makes me sad. Let me know when you've posted yours, I want to see!
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    Cool. Just wandering if the river rafting is a good trip and what other areas to check out at the National Park.
    You know, I don't know. Many of the rivers I saw were kind of rocky, but very blue. I've only ever rafted the Colorado River, but it would be fun to raft in Washington. The deeper parts of the rainforest are enchanting, Quinault would be a good place to find that stuff. Cape Flattery is also a beautiful place, it's on the most northwest coast of Washington. You might be able to raft in that area, or Kayaking would be really cool too. There's also a Native American reservation there, if you're into that. (I think it's size is about four miles:oogle ...)
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I live in Tacoma so if you guys want any info or whatever just let me know.
    I know that Seattle and Tacoma don't like each other...Why is that?
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    I second the Hoh Rainforest
    seaelven wrote:
    Yeah, I can post more, it may be a day or three. I took all film while I was out there, so I will totally scan more. The places I would recomend going to are the Hoh rainforest, Sol Duc Falls, and the Enchanted Valley. I had planned to see those places but didn't because I didn't have enough time. It makes me sad. Let me know when you've posted yours, I want to see!
    It's absolutely incredible. I went through there in '83 shooting Kodachrome64 and got many wonderful shots. Warning: If you don't like green, don't go. Another place that is photogenic is the old Victorian downtown part of Port Townsend on the NE tip of the peninsula. Just above that is Fort Warren with remnants of a coastal defense battery. I'm now thinking I need to get back up there again.

Enjoy your stay,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    If you don't like the Olympics, go to the Cascades :D

The shots are very nice. I haven't had the chance to spend too much time at
    ONP, but it's a very beautiful place and quite the contrast between the Cascades.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    seaelven wrote:
    I know that Seattle and Tacoma don't like each other...Why is that?
    First I've heard of it.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    Crecent Lake is probably the most photographed thing in the whole ONP. If you're able to go on a long hike, the kind where camping is required, you'll be rewarded with some great views. Also the coastline along the Pacific is an awesome place to go too (1st, 2nd, and 3rd beach specifically). The Hoh rainforest is required (bring a grey card since all the green may affect your camera's ability to do auto white balance). Oh and bring a fast lens, the forest is really dark. The Sol Duc falls are neat as well.

I'm really not sure if there is any river rafting or not. I'm thinking there isn't, but I don't really know for sure. If you want great views of Seattle (and you're going to be on the east side of the ONP) then go to the summit of Green Mountain (not a bad little hiking trip). From there you'll get a great view of downtown plus an unobstructed view of Rainer (assuming there are no clouds or too much haze that day).

• Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    If you don't like the Olympics, go to the Cascades :D

The shots are very nice. I haven't had the chance to spend too much time at
    ONP, but it's a very beautiful place and quite the contrast between the Cascades.

Ian
    I wish I had more time. Just the sight of the area was refreshing.
  • Options
    larruuularruuu Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 30, 2005
    Your photos are beautiful. I like the waterfalls especially.
    seaelven wrote:
    I got back from visiting Seattle two weeks ago and I thought I'd share some photos from the trip. Please feel free to post any sort of feedback. One of the last days in Washington I decided to haul my camera and my boyfriend (the camera assistant) to the Olympic National park. This first photo is of Marymere falls.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    larruuu wrote:
    Your photos are beautiful. I like the waterfalls especially.
    wave.gif Thanks so much! I'm just starting with the waterfall thing, it's fun.