Options

12/20/09 Engagement party

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited December 23, 2009 in Street and Documentary
When I used to attend these functions 99% of my shots consisted of "posed" and "say cheese" shots.

I still wound up taking a few of those, especially when people saw me point the camera, they stopped what they were doing and assumed "the pose", but now the majority are photos that document the event. I have this forum to thank for that.

745925274_kbP7Y-L.jpg

745952856_vbeJC-L-1.jpg

745955464_gBRS5-L.jpg

4.745944407_oK3pm-L.jpg

something a little different (2 color shots:dunno )
745975958_QarMk-L.jpg

745977616_7p6vj-L-1.jpg

Comments appreciated.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    When I used to attend these functions 99% of my shots consisted of "posed" and "say cheese" shots.

I still wound up taking a few of those, especially when people saw me point the camera, they stopped what they were doing and assumed "the pose", but now the majority are photos that document the event. I have this forum to thank for that.

Lose the color! rolleyes1.gif

These are really terrific, Liz. And if Santa doesn't bring you some sort of editing software he's going to have to answer to me! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Really, you have made such enormous strides this year it's fantastic. And don't worry about taking the occasional "smile" shot - once you've taken it, people will ignore you and you can take the 'real' photos.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    Thank you B.D.:D
    I like to compare my shots from now to just a year ago (much like Rutt's exercise) and it's pretty hysterical.

The bride-to-be loved them--so that made me very happy too.

I'll borrow some brass knuckles and we'll go after Santa if I don't get some editing software. Not much of an example for my kids--but I HAVE been very good and patient this year.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I love the processing on the first few.. and the PJ approach really suits you.. I agree whole heartedly.. you've grown leaps and bounds since i've joined dgrin... nice work I cant WAIT to see more!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Thank you B.D.:D
    I like to compare my shots from now to just a year ago (much like Rutt's exercise) and it's pretty hysterical.

The bride-to-be loved them--so that made me very happy too.

I'll borrow some brass knuckles and we'll go after Santa if I don't get some editing software. Not much of an example for my kids--but I HAVE been very good and patient this year.

Santa's working on it, but got snowed up for three days.... :D

And BD, you're going to shoot me but... er... I really like the colour ones :hide rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Hey Liz!

Great work! Number 2 and 5 are my favorites :) I actually like the soft-focus color for that shot, it came out very natural looking. Though members of F-64 will frown upon me for saying so :)
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Very honest portrayals of the event. I'm not surprised the Bride loved them. I was struck by #1 immediately.

I'm not against the colour versions per se, but the shots themselves have no direction or overriding sense of theme or setting. Fwiw, I don't think they would work in B&W either. In my view, if you stay with a colour shot for doco or street shooting, the colour needs to have a role in the image. Be a part of telling the story. Alternatively, it should absolutely not detract or distract from the subject or theme.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

And BD, you're going to shoot me but... er... I really like the colour ones :hide rolleyes1.gif

Am I to understand that Santa enjoys Opera?:D wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    I love the processing on the first few.. and the PJ approach really suits you.. I agree whole heartedly.. you've grown leaps and bounds since i've joined dgrin... nice work I cant WAIT to see more!

Hey MissB,
    Love the new Avatar (whewhewwww, that's me whistling).

Thank you about the PJ approach--I'm hooked.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

hee hee,
    You are the best Divamum--
    I was more talking about a new computer though---but alas that is not going to happen. My son dropped a spoon into the toilet and flushed it AND he jumped off the bed landed on an ancient outlet (which is huge and square) and knocked the power out to my bedroom--it's a very old house, over 100 years old--We had to have emergency plumber and an electrician come out yesterday. Which puts off the computer for a bit.

BUT you have saved me with your very generous offer.iloveyou.gif My ancient laptop eagerly awaits your package:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    dychui wrote:
    Hey Liz!

Great work! Number 2 and 5 are my favorites :) I actually like the soft-focus color for that shot, it came out very natural looking. Though members of F-64 will frown upon me for saying so :)

Thank you Dychui,
    Glad you like the soft-focus shots--I like that affect too for that particular shot. Color AND soft-focus, I was pushing buttons that dayrolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Very honest portrayals of the event. I'm not surprised the Bride loved them. I was struck by #1 immediately.

I'm not against the colour versions per se, but the shots themselves have no direction or overriding sense of theme or setting. Fwiw, I don't think they would work in B&W either. In my view, if you stay with a colour shot for doco or street shooting, the colour needs to have a role in the image. Be a part of telling the story. Alternatively, it should absolutely not detract or distract from the subject or theme.

#1 is my favorite of the bunch too.
    That was the bride's best friend inquiring of the mother of the groom "if there was more like him at home?". That's the bride-to-be in the background doing the greeting.

I like the color shot of the kitchen scene, I thought maybe that one told a story and might work in b&w ne_nau.gif .

But I do agree on the other shot--it was one of the only ones I liked of the couple together, and since it was an engagement post, I felt I had to include it--but yes totally in agreement on that one--

Thanks for looking and commenting :D .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

Divamum is Santa:D .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Well, color's fine in principle - but to be perfectly frank...the color in those shots is truly crappy. (I give Liz a pass as she doesn't have processing software, but it is still crappy color.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Mischswiss wrote:

Feels gooooood to be able to pay it forward! :D (for those that don't know, Jen did me an incredible act of kindness back in the summer, sending me a tripod head she no longer used iloveyou.gif)
    Divamum is Santa:D .

Mr Diva is acting as elf because he's going to the post office today - it's on its way! Doubt you'll get it before the weekend given the holiday, but it's finally en route....I hope it runs on your computer (release date on it was 2003, so I think you're in with a good chance :D) It's plenty powerful software despite being the "poor relation" to Photoshop - not as many tutorials as PS, but the principles are the same and there are actually quite a few plugins knocking around the internet, so you should have fun with figuring that out. Not sure how it copes with raw, but Picasa and other programs will let you open those and convert, so I think you should be good to go :ivar (I hope :hide)

Happy Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    All I can do is agree with the others. I really look forward to seeing your work and have enjoyed watching your progress on this forum. You have a really good eye.

I am with Diva on the color shots, especially #5. It gives the photos a vintage, timeless (or timeworn?) quality that I like. Ditto for the softness.

As an aside, a huge thank you to Rutt, BD and Richard for making this forum happen and offering a dGrin home to so many. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    All I can do is agree with the others. I really look forward to seeing your work and have enjoyed watching your progress on this forum. You have a really good eye.

I am with Diva on the color shots, especially #5. It gives the photos a vintage, timeless (or timeworn?) quality that I like. Ditto for the softness.

As an aside, a huge thank you to Rutt, BD and Richard for making this forum happen and offering a dGrin home to so many. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Thank you ma'am.
    I will add a huge thanks to B.D., Richard and Rutt as well but also to the rest of the frequent flyers here, this particular forum has taught me so much in such a short time.

Makes me walk with a little skip in my step when I get posts like this. Thank you. Then if my head gets too big to fit through the door, I can count on B.D. for a reality check :D .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Mr Diva is acting as elf because he's going to the post office today - it's on its way! Doubt you'll get it before the weekend given the holiday, but it's finally en route....I hope it runs on your computer (release date on it was 2003, so I think you're in with a good chance :D) It's plenty powerful software despite being the "poor relation" to Photoshop - not as many tutorials as PS, but the principles are the same and there are actually quite a few plugins knocking around the internet, so you should have fun with figuring that out. Not sure how it copes with raw, but Picasa and other programs will let you open those and convert, so I think you should be good to go :ivar (I hope :hide)
    Happy Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be here--not going anywhere anytime soon--so I'll be happy whenever it gets here :)
    Thank you and Mr. Elf (Mr. Divamum) for me too please.
    Liz A.
    _________