Options

Rip Me Apart Please (Motocross)

48 photos48 photos Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited December 23, 2009 in Sports
Here are some shots of this past season...

I shoot with a Mark III, 70-200 2.8 IS, and 17-40 f/4.

Give me some feedback. I also have a speedlite. its an older one if that does anything...

Basically what i can do or try... rip me apart please.

<<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" height="600" width="600">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009120303.swf?AlbumID=10653051&AlbumKey=7KAFF&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2009120303&showLogo=false&width=600&height=600&clickToImage=true&captions=false&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=black&showButtons=true&randomStart=false&randomize=true&splash=&splashDelay=0&crossFadeSpeed=350&quot; />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009120303.swf?AlbumID=10653051&AlbumKey=7KAFF&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2009120303&showLogo=false&width=600&height=600&clickToImage=true&captions=false&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=black&showButtons=true&randomStart=false&randomize=true&splash=&splashDelay=0&crossFadeSpeed=350&quot; height="600" width="600" wmode="transparent" />
</object>

Comments

• Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Great work...
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I don't see any images rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    crazy7photographycrazy7photography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Basically what i can do or try... rip me apart please.
    Please ou have some great shots. I few could be satutrated in photoshop but it looked like you were going for that look on those.
    The only thing you can try is a crisp image of the subject with a blurred background. Do it by panning the camera on the subject and slowing down the shutter speed a tad. Good luck. wings.gif
    Canon 5D Mark II, 7D, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 28-70mm 2.8, 15mm Fish eye. etc...
    Alien Bees Strobes

Crazy Seven Photography
    www.crazysevenphotography.com
  • Options
    NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    The wheels are to blurry and there eyes are to sharpmwink.gif J/K.. Looks like your achieving the results your after those are great shots with some creative angles and good use of wide angle also
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Nicely done. I can't add anything to most of them.

On the images where you have more background, I would personally try to get it a little more blurred. If that means slower shutter speed/more panning or a wider aperture, I don't know, but they're all better than I would have done. :D
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Aaaaah, near and dear to my heart.

1 suggestion for other shots to get - your current composure and technical control is very crisp on your freeze frames:

Get messy - Really try to blur it up to give a strong feeling of movement, most of your stuff is static - frozen in time. With your talent at capturing this sport, I'd LOVE to see you try to get a good tracking shot off. Kinda like this:

168910920_tABA8-L-1.jpg
    --Kres
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    Kinda like this one you mean but in a corner?

09AMPF6679.jpg
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Sorta -

Crank the ISO low. Like 100 or lower, keep you aperture wide, and pre-set the lens to what you think the distance is between you and the bikes - saving autofoucus time.

Track the bikes with the camera with your whole body (swiveling with your torso) and start to set the autofocus just at the point that your almost facing forward again, then let the shutter rip.

That's going to REALLY blur out the background and give the impression of speed. I can already tell that you've got a good sense of where the bikes are tracking - so once you get the timing down I can see you ripping off some amazing shots. It's really good stuff when you can catch some rooster tail coming off the bike in crisp focus and then leaving the subject into the DOF.

Again, just a suggestion of another kind of shot to try out. Besides straight aways, you can get some really cool perspectives standing in the elbow of a turn of above a berm.
    --Kres
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    How are you guys seeing these?
    I still see nothing from the first post.
    No link, no pics, nothing ne_nau.gif
    I see the other pics people have posted in this thread but nothing on the first one.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    How are you guys seeing these?
    I still see nothing from the first post.
    No link, no pics, nothing ne_nau.gif
    I see the other pics people have posted in this thread but nothing on the first one.

He's not posting images the usual way, but instead using some sort of slide-show object. If you have Flash disabled, you won't see anything.

I find the slide-show object annoying, because although it has three speed settings, it does not have a "stop" option. So even at "slow", I find it changing pictures by itself while I'm trying to examine an image, which is just irritating. The pictures aren't very large, either.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    Sorry guys. There actually is a stop on the slideshow. you just gotta click the big image.

Sorry about not being able to see the shots! Here is my original gallery for you guys to look at(these are the same pics as the slideshow but you can view larger)

http://48photos.smugmug.com/Other/2009-Recap/10653051_7KAFF#741212677_YCfX7
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Great stuff, you don't need any help. Don't worry about the panning shots, just a few is enough in MX.