Options

DSS 40 - Color or B&W

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm calling this photo "Mourning".

Which works better, color or B&W? And if B&W, which of the two?

Color:
745995792_s2YbY-XL.jpg

B&W Soft:
745704162_r76f4-XL.jpg

B&W Strong Contrast:
745715437_mpMY4-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I personally prefer the color version however I don't quite understand his position... headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    I personally prefer the color version however I don't quite understand his position... headscratch.gif

Fetal position. Scared, sad, grieving, in pain, or a combo of them.

I think I'd go with the color option also.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Thanks guys. I too am leaning towards the color version. I think it speaks to the mood I am trying to capture a bit more than the B&W. I purposely muted the colors a bit so it still looks moody.

And Dave is correct... it's the fetal position. Wiki info about fetal position:

"Sometimes, when a person has suffered extreme physical or psychological trauma (including massive stress), they will assume the fetal position or a similar position in which the back is curved forward, the legs are brought up as tightly against the abdomen as possible, the head is bowed as close to the abdomen as possible, and the arms are wrapped around the head to prevent further trauma. This position provides better protection to the brain and vital organs than simply lying spread out on the ground, so it is obvious as to why it is an instinctual reaction to extreme stress or trauma when the brain is no longer able to cope with the surrounding environment, and in essence "shuts down" temporarily."

My Smug Site
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    +1 for the color version.
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I very much like the angle and quality of the light here, and your color treatment works well for this shot. I'm wondering though what the background elements are trying to say. Aside from a vague sense of place, the window, curtain, and painting don't lend either "tragedy" or "comedy" to your image, and I think distract from your subject overall.

My first thought would be to crop in very tightly, but I also think you need something in the frame to hint at the story behind the subject's pose to prevent the image from becoming merely a figure study. Is there an object or setting/place that might communicate more of the story you had in mind - either tragic or comic, or both? Let's see some tension!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Color for me. But, there really isn't anything here that says 'tragedy' to me. Yes, there's a person who might be sad, but the image doesn't tell us of the tragedy.

Very nice light work and a nice image.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Another vote for the color version. I also agree with the comments about the other elements in the shot, or the lack thereof. One other thought, is it possible to knockdown the highlight areas on the arms a little. They seem to be bordering on being washed out. Great job!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Another vote for the color version. ...knockdown the highlight areas on the arms a little. They seem to be bordering on being washed out. Great job!
    — Kevin

15524779-Ti.gif

I like the elements in the picture because they give us a sense of his surroundings and lend to the story --- that he's now alone.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    All great feedback guys.

I'm contemplating a couple changes based on your feedback. I will see how those pan out. I am still liking the color one though. We'll see if the others are tries end up being more compelling to me.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Personally I love the color one. I truly hope people don't get bogged down by the typical meaning of tragedy as opposed to the traditional literary term. This image totally says "sorrow" and completely rocks. Well done!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    This is so beautifully done. I like number one.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Personally I love the color one. I truly hope people don't get bogged down by the typical meaning of tragedy as opposed to the traditional literary term. This image totally says "sorrow" and completely rocks. Well done!

Thank you Emily. Honestly, I am really happy with this shot. I redid the shot adding a little more context but I am not sure I like it as much. It looks too contrived to me. I like that the original leaves you wondering why he's so sorrowful. There is a sense of mystery in the photo, you know what I mean?

Here is the new version based on my interpretation of the feedback. I'm not feeling this one as much. So now I have to decide... do I enter the image I like or do I go with what I think will please the masses?

747725681_2x6P2-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    This is so beautifully done. I like number one.

Thank you.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Go with your gut. mwink.gif
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    I like both the original color version and the re-shoot. Not sure if one invokes more of a tragic feeling than the other.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Thanks Linda and Dave. I think I know which image I will go with. I appreciate your feedback.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Thanks Linda and Dave. I think I know which image I will go with. I appreciate your feedback.

Just my opinion, but this reshoot to me is way stronger on theme. Your original ones are great in composition and lighting. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D