Options

Minimum Resolution

PixelPiePixelPie Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited December 24, 2009 in Finishing School
First off, my apologies if this has been posted in some way, shape or form but I've got myself so confused now that I just need to ask.

Print resolution; PPI, DPI, etc, confuse me. I'm not going to lie. I've got a really basic understanding but for me to try and explain it to someone else, it would be a loss cause. Anyway, I want to know, is there any way that I can restrain the proportions/resolution of an image so that it'll print a nice 11x14 but nothing really larger? And if so, what would those be? Is there a really simple formula for figuring this out in case I ever want to change it to a 5x7, 8x10, etc? :scratch

And, do you know of any excellent articles that explain this stuff, simply? The Web is full of articles that contradict each other. Thank you.
PixelPie Photography
Weddings | Portraits
Site & Blog
heather@pixelpiephotos.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 9, 2009
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    This Smugmug print table is very easy to understand and a good reference to be bookmarked.

ME
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Thanks for those links. It was definitely easier to follow than some of the stuff I had read!

The Print Table states that the minimum for an 11x14 is 768x1024. So what kind of resolution could I set that to? In Pathfinder's article, it said "images destined for printing need resolutions in the order of 180- 360 pixels per inch" and that larger prints can be printed as low as 150 because of the viewing distance, which makes sense.

If I set an image file to the above dimensions at 150 or 180 pixels per inch, that would mean images smaller than that would be of poorer quality because the 4x6's and 8x10's are viewed closer and images larger will start to lose quality because of the dimensions. Is that right?

If I increase the ppi to something even higher but still under 300/360, would the dimensions, 768x1024, be enough to prevent the image from being printed at larger sizes but keep the small print sizes good quality?

Am I missing some sort of simple math? (never my best subject)
    PixelPie Photography
    Weddings | Portraits
    Site & Blog
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    The SmugMug tables gives you the absolute MINIMUM resolution that is NEEDED for printing. More will be better usually.
    PixelPie wrote:
    If I set an image file to the above dimensions at 150 or 180 pixels per inch, that would mean images smaller than that would be of poorer quality because the 4x6's and 8x10's are viewed closer and images larger will start to lose quality because of the dimensions. Is that right?

If I increase the ppi to something even higher but still under 300/360, would the dimensions, 768x1024, be enough to prevent the image from being printed at larger sizes but keep the small print sizes good quality?
    Setting PPI on an image that is being uploaded to SmugMug and printed doesn't do anything at all. It's the resolution that you need to worry about. Note that the SmugTable also doesn't say anything about PPI, but only talks about resolution thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Usually when I upload to Smugmug, I don't worry too much about it as I can limit print sizes and what not but this is for a digital file that I'll be giving away, ideally with a restricted license. I figured I could write up a license but if I could restrict the file too, that'd be great!

I looked at a local lab here and they also had a chart for minimum resolution, best and unacceptable.

For an 11x14 the minimum given was 1650x2100 and unacceptable was 825x1050. So now I'm also curious why Smugmug's minimum is below that of the 'unacceptable' range of this other lab. Does that just have to do with quality of labs & printers?
    PixelPie Photography
    Weddings | Portraits
    Site & Blog
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    More the criteria the lab uses to ensure a level of quality that meets their requirements. Some printers use different scaling formulas and algorithms. Without directly comparing prints, it is difficult to say which one delivers a product with better quality.

I have been impressed with the prints that Smugmug's services deliver. Bay Photo is considered one of the best printing services for professionals.

M
    PixelPie wrote:
    [deleted]

For an 11x14 the minimum given was 1650x2100 and unacceptable was 825x1050. So now I'm also curious why Smugmug's minimum is below that of the 'unacceptable' range of this other lab. Does that just have to do with quality of labs & printers?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 10, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    The SmugMug tables gives you the absolute MINIMUM resolution that is NEEDED for printing. More will be better usually.

Setting PPI on an image that is being uploaded to SmugMug and printed doesn't do anything at all. It's the resolution that you need to worry about. Note that the SmugTable also doesn't say anything about PPI, but only talks about resolution thumb.gif

When Ivar says "resolution" what he is saying is the "total number of pixels, along both dimensions of the image". The total number of Pixels is fundamental, ppi is meaningless. Dpi refers to how printers spray ink on paper, and is usually 5 to 15 dots per pixel.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2009
    Just wanted to send my thanks. I think I have a much better understanding of it now as I reread your articles/posts along with a few others. Tks!
    PixelPie Photography
    Weddings | Portraits
    Site & Blog
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    PixelPie wrote:
    Print resolution; PPI, DPI, etc, confuse me.

This may help:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Resolution.pdf
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    arodney wrote:

Excellent article. Thanks. I don't think it can be explained any better. :D
    PixelPie Photography
    Weddings | Portraits