Options

Commercial Street in Provincetown

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited December 24, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I asked Nancy Fulton, a gifted water colorist whom I meet through Facebook, if I could share this image she posted on her Facebook page, and luckily for us, she said I could. Shot with an iPhone during the recent blizzard on Cape Code, this is definitely a street photo, complete with a 1940s look.:

747462488_Ahvgz-X2.jpg
Photo by Nancy Fulton, copyright 2009
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Reminds me of home. Old homes, snow, overhead powerlines.....excellent.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    This is a beautiful cell phone shot, beautiful even if it where a large format shot. I wish I could order that artist's eye attachment from Amazon! Just add to any camera, and you get results like this: it doesn't matter what it was shot with!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    This is a beautiful cell phone shot, beautiful even if it where a large format shot. I wish I could order that artist's eye attachment from Amazon! Just add to any camera, and you get results like this: it doesn't matter what it was shot with!
    Hmmmmm, I don't think I get this one. I want to trust you guys on it so I've been coming back periodically. I do see a nice image -- in the center. But I do feel a little lost in the 'wideness' of the shot. To me it should be cropped to about 50% leaving the boys and the long street.

Maybe I'm missing something. ne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    ChaoslillithChaoslillith Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Soon DLSRs will be upstaged by Iphones...really awesome shot!!

The wideness of the shot is what makes it a good shot, it shows the expanse of the snow, of the place and gives you the feeling of walking through all the cold and all the old bldgs.

If it were cropped to just the people and the street it would lose a lot of character. The bldgs add a lot to the shot. The people are not the centerpiece of the shot.
    Photography teaches us to observe again. Me.
    I am in AZ and would love to meet others from Phoenix.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 24, 2009
    This is indeed a lovely capture, but I couldn't help thinking that it would be even better if at least some of the frame had the sharpness of a good dSLR. Call me old-fashioned. lol3.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Yeah, this could be better, no question. I could work my post magic on it and it would be better. A better camera would make it better.

But without the artist's eye, it would be nothing, no matter what camera had been used or post technique applied. Give me the artist's eye and I'll make pictures that people look at. No equipment or post technique can do that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Hmmmmm, I don't think I get this one. I want to trust you guys on it so I've been coming back periodically. I do see a nice image -- in the center. But I do feel a little lost in the 'wideness' of the shot. To me it should be cropped to about 50% leaving the boys and the long street.

Maybe I'm missing something. ne_nau.gif

Sorry, Travis, but you are indeed missing something - the details. There are details to observer from edge to edge. Sure, she could have just given us a narrow view down the street, but...I am drawn into this and am not just drawn into the street, but into an earlier age, when town and city streets were strung with telephone wires, and when snows like this turned plain vanilla to tutti frutti ... or something like that. Frankly, I see this as a painting - and wouldn't want to touch a thing. Sure, if it had been shot with a good DSLR it would be sharper, and the color balance would improve. But...I'll take it as we got it. And as Rutt notes, it's all about the photographer's eye (I'll bet if we posted this over on People someone would jump in and tell us that it should have been shot from the front, so that we could see the boys faces, and the photographer should have used fill flash to put a catch light in their eyes..rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Sorry, Travis, but you are indeed missing something - the details. There are details to observer from edge to edge. Sure, she could have just given us a narrow view down the street, but...I am drawn into this and am not just drawn into the street, but into an earlier age, when town and city streets were strung with telephone wires, and when snows like this turned plain vanilla to tutti frutti ... or something like that.
    I'm not really seeing this one either, I have to say. Sure, it's a nice street-shot but it doesn't have that bit extra for me ne_nau.gif Maybe because where I'm from (telephone) wires are underground?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    I'm not really seeing this one either, I have to say. Sure, it's a nice street-shot but it doesn't have that bit extra for me ne_nau.gif Maybe because where I'm from (telephone) wires are underground?

I think you nailed it Ivar! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif If you never lived during the 40's (I'm sure you didn't) and you've never lived with telephone wires draped across the streets, then you can't take the journey back in time that this shot brings to some. It does have a very timelessness about it, because there are no modern cars or signs of anything to bring it into the 21st century. It definitely could have been taken in the 40's. Even the outdoor Christmas lights on the balcony are the old-fashioned large size, not the little mini LEDS we see now. A nice nostalgic scene.....for some of us. :D Merry Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I like how the snow covers the ground, hiding a distinction between street and sidewalk.