Options

12-20-2009 San Francisco Union Square

dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited December 25, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Hey everybody! I got a chance to go wander around San Francisco the other day and I wanted to share a few of my favorite photos :).

747650197_UWYDC-O.jpg

747650217_kKueH-O.jpg

747650249_ymWo8-O.jpg

3. The guy on the left reminded me a lot of James Franco.

747651102_cnxkB-O.jpg

4. Gotta love teenage angst

747651140_jNsoL-XL.jpg

747664127_u4fXJ-O.jpg

747680486_VLzFz-XL.jpg

747651279_f8v8o-O.jpg

8. These last few were of some San Franciscans who are protesting President Obama's war in Afghanistan.

747651458_HwNrc-O.jpg

747651479_da4AC-O.jpg

747651489_nSn5P-O.jpg

The entire series can be viewed here:

http://www.chewyphoto.com/Other/San-Francisco-Union-Square/10730381_NJJfh/1

TECHNICAL INFO: All photos taken with either the Canon 1DS MK II and 17-40L, or my RICOH GR-DIII. Photos were shot in RAW and processed in lightroom to color. I then used Nik Silver Efex to do a High Structure conversion of the color JPEGs, while adding a bit of film grain.

Comments

• Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Great set! Fun to look at...I really like #5!
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    The diversity of the people in number 6 make it the clear winner for me. The little girl, though dressed garishly, seems surrounded by sadness or neglect. It's a very nice image. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Great series!
    Love # 6 with the little "Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz" kid out of focus and her mother's head cut off the frame--it's surreal no? I feel like you broke a lot of the rules of photography ( your main subject is OOF, heads are cut off, it's a little off kilter) but it works!

I like the entire series, but like Travis stated, that's a winner for me. Makes me keep going back to it and it makes me want to know more about the story.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    Great set! Fun to look at...I really like #5!

Hey Paul!

Thank you so much for your feedback and support!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    The diversity of the people in number 6 make it the clear winner for me. The little girl, though dressed garishly, seems surrounded by sadness or neglect. It's a very nice image. thumb.gif

Hi Thoth!

Number six was actually my favorite image as well. Lizzard commented that the photo breaks many rules. I wish I could say this was a pre-contemplated lashing out against stilted conventions of photography, carefully planned and masterfully executed, but the truth is quite different! For this photo, I composed the shot without looking through the viewfinder. Sometimes, as soon as you bring the fat camera to your eye, the moment is lost. I took that risk and took two photos as they walked by. This is the second photo:

747651191_d7W2k-O.jpg

Thanks Liz and Thoth for your wonderful and thoughtful feedback!!
  • Options
    thomasjmthomasjm Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Cool street pics. I especially like number two. I love that woman's expression.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    dychui wrote:
    Hey everybody! I got a chance to go wander around San Francisco the other day and I wanted to share a few of my favorite photos :).

VERY nice series - once we get past #1, which doesn't do allot for me. I particularly like the little kid with the stuffed animal.
    BTW - Not go go all political on you. But the caption on 8? Uh, the U.S. invaded Afghanistan in Oct. 2001, when George W. Bush was President. Bush remained in the White House until January 20, 2009. While Obama is now President, and has to figure out how to deal with the mess, I'd suggest that it is Bush's war in Afghanistant that Obama has to deal with. ;-) Just sayin'. ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    I like the shots, nice and close which says a lot about your confidence. Just thought I would mention that on #6 the girl is casting a shadow from an apparent spot of light. I really look for this kind of light in the street, often reflected from buildings, and meter for the bright spot itself waiting for something interesting to happen in the slice of light. This means that much around it will be underexposed or drop out but can make for a more dramatic photo. Just something to think about perhaps ... Happy holidays ...