Options

Selling Thin Wraps and Metal Prints

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited December 25, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I was wondering 1 who has sold some of these prints, and for others what mark up % your doing.... Marking them up at the same percent of the paper prints really makes them kinda outrageous in price..

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    I've been trying to figure that out myself so have yet to offer them to the public.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Don't be shy about getting a lot of money for these.

20091219-8g8ka9i9362cibbxgy2xyju8h5.jpg
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Don't be shy about getting a lot of money for these.

Agreed. At the very least, price them high enough that if you ever send out something like a 20% coupon, you still earn money.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    JayClark79 wrote:
    I was wondering 1 who has sold some of these prints, and for others what mark up % your doing.... Marking them up at the same percent of the paper prints really makes them kinda outrageous in price..

This might just be a hobby for youmwink.gif but it is a disservice to those that are trying to make a living to price your self real cheap:cry......it is art and should be sold as such.......it is one of a kind created by you.....so be rewarded properly for it....it is not just the cost of the print, but your hours of work and equipmentmwink.gif also...........

HERE is a very good article on pricing yourself cheap.....also down the road it is real hard to able to raise those prices because your clients will expect you to be cheap.............also I found many years ago, that when I raised my prices well above the wally mart and K-dart , Dears prices I started getting better clientele..........Luckily I did it at the end of my second year......I read an article similar to the one above in a small photo group news letter published by ROHN ENGH....he has a book out since 2000 on selling your photos ......and an older one called Sell and Re-sell YOur Photos ...........

Now we have forums like these to help us get to where we want to go..............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Has anyone complained yet? I am thinking about the pricing as well, and I felt bad with how much percentage I was marking up, yet people have not complained yet.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I am trying
    I have a deal going where I am trying to sell to a Physicians office. They are thinking a few to 4 dozen large prints (20x30 or so). I priced these at a bit more than 3 times my cost.

My pitch to the physician office is this;

1. Less cost for the office due to no framing.

2. less wear on the wall - lighter weight.

3. Safer! - I guess they say kids like to push up on the base of the frames and they are always scared of the big glass frames falling on a head!

4. Durable - these can be wiped down to clean finger prints and will last a long time.

5. Ready to go! - No waiting for an expensive framing job, just pull it out and hang the sucker!

I am hoping that they buy at least 20 of the 20x30's from me, at my price of 259.99 each, this will get me a $5200 sale, so roughly about $3K profit....??, not too shabby.

Good luck to you all on these, I think they are awesome! Good Idea SM!

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Wiren wrote:
    I have a deal going where I am trying to sell to a Physicians office. They are thinking a few to 4 dozen large prints (20x30 or so). I priced these at a bit more than 3 times my cost.

My pitch to the physician office is this;

1. Less cost for the office due to no framing.

2. less wear on the wall - lighter weight.

3. Safer! - I guess they say kids like to push up on the base of the frames and they are always scared of the big glass frames falling on a head!

4. Durable - these can be wiped down to clean finger prints and will last a long time.

5. Ready to go! - No waiting for an expensive framing job, just pull it out and hang the sucker!

I am hoping that they buy at least 20 of the 20x30's from me, at my price of 259.99 each, this will get me a $5200 sale, so roughly about $3K profit....??, not too shabby.

Good luck to you all on these, I think they are awesome! Good Idea SM!

Lee

So which are you selling them? The metal prints? or the Thin Wraps? Totally different animals.
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    The Metal Prints, more durable that way.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I sold a 24x30 thinwrap for $300 this week. There was a coupon offer until the end of the month for 20% off, so that was a good deal for the customer.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    I just got my first metal print made, a gift for the wife. It was great. Well worth it. I would say before ordering a bunch of them, I would probably order a small one of the various styles to make sure that the metal works for the print. I am not sure if there is a color shift or anything so I would test it. I did this one before getting a test print as it was a fast turn gift for the wife. Also the picture was industrial so I was confident.

Still I really like the metal and am thinking of getting more for my personal use.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact